Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 PM

12 posts, read 12,014 times

Advertisements

hello, i have been doing researching post to moving to N.O., NO has it ups and downs. it ranks number 1 in hurricanes and flood...but does anyone knows some best places in the city of NO that will not be flooded? i plan on moving to NO in 2012 by then i will be 22 with a college degree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
Ground near the river is the highest in the city. It did not flood during the storm...

Rains can cause flooding though...I think it rained 5 minutes last night,

Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM

12 posts, read 12,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Ground near the river is the highest in the city. It did not flood during the storm...

okay, thank you. um im very confused of the map of N.O. the mississippi river runs horizontially, im not sure which part is east bank and west bank. all i see in huge areas up north of the river to the lake, and small areas to the south of the river. and then a huge part toward east through another lake, im guessing it the burbs? and the closer i live to the mississippi river on the north or south of the river, is the least affected?

Old 12-08-2009, 04:31 PM

104 posts, read 476,333 times
north of river = east bank
some people may have seen the FEMA flood maps, but they are kind of fun (and scary!) to explore if you haven't. here's the link for the digital flood map for New Orleans/Orleans Parish as posted on la Mapping project:

http://www.lamappingproject.com/dfirm/Orleans_DFIRM/imap.html (broken link)

most of the southern parishes are mapped. you can zoom in, etc. You must use jefferson parish map for that area (for the OP, Jeff parish is contiguous with NO, lying to the west of New Orleans proper)

Old 12-08-2009, 05:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post

Ummm, 5 inches? My DS's street and the school's streets were flooded this morning.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior32 View Post
hello, i have been doing researching post to moving to N.O., NO has it ups and downs. it ranks number 1 in hurricanes and flood...but does anyone knows some best places in the city of NO that will not be flooded? i plan on moving to NO in 2012 by then i will be 22 with a college degree
New Orleans does not rank #1 in hurricanes and flood.

In 2005 and 2006, New Orleans ranked #1 in hurricane and flood vulnerable areas to live because of our levees being damaged after hurricane Katrina.

What that means is if New Orleans were to get hit with a hurricane it was most likely to flood, not that New Orleans was #1 in getting hit with a hurricane.

Also, now that the levees are repaired and new pumping stations built on the out fall canals, we no longer hold the #1 ranking.

That being said, we will always have a high chance of flooding here, not from hurricanes, but from heavy rain fall.

It's not uncommon to have eight to twelve inches of rain fall here within a few hours. And when it rains that much our pumps can't keep up with the amount of rain falling.

And that's not only a New Orleans problem, it's a problem throughout south Louisiana. Just yesterday we had flooding in St. John parish to the west and St. Tammany parish to our north and east.

busta

Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
I meant inches.

Final exam week (plus working), brain not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: