Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 05:12 PM

9 posts, read 9,493 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody

I'm a 23 year old single guy and I have the option of relocation to New Orleans in June. I'm was wondering if you could give a quick rundown on the city?

Questions I would like answered:

I only make 45k a year so I'm not loaded. Will I be able to enjoy my time in New Orleans with this salary?

What areas should I look at moving too? I want to meet people around my same age.

What are some fun things for people to do that don't involve late night partying? I do drink but cant do it heavily every weekend.

How is the night life through out the year, not just during Mardi Gras?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
You can live quite well with $45k. Being that you're only 23, that will put you way ahead of the game, money-wise.

Night life is ubiquitous. There are probably 50 or so live bands on any given night, and we're a town that likes to party- festivals galore, from Po-Boys to free concerts.

The best bet to find people your age would probably be around the universities (Tulane and Loyola) or in the Bywater. The Bywater has a lot of a hipster/funky vibe about it.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM

282 posts, read 438,227 times
Where would you want to live? Answering this question will help me help you....

Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 AM

9 posts, read 9,493 times
somewhere near the french quarter but not in it.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Would you want to be in walking/biking distance? Or within a 5-10 drive? Are you concerned about crime at all? If you want to move around the Quarters and not want to party hard every night, you are asking a lot. I think there are nice areas right around the quarters and some areas maybe about a couple of nautical miles away. Are you looking for a home/condo or apartment? This really matters around certain areas of the town.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 PM

45 posts, read 161,193 times
The Marigny or Bywater might be a good option, but there aren't apartment buildings here, per se. Might want to look in the Warehouse district.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 AM

427 posts, read 947,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase23d View Post
Hello everybody

I'm a 23 year old single guy and I have the option of relocation to New Orleans in June. I'm was wondering if you could give a quick rundown on the city?

Questions I would like answered:

I only make 45k a year so I'm not loaded. Will I be able to enjoy my time in New Orleans with this salary?

What areas should I look at moving too? I want to meet people around my same age.

What are some fun things for people to do that don't involve late night partying? I do drink but cant do it heavily every weekend.

How is the night life through out the year, not just during Mardi Gras?
If you are a young professional I wouldn't go near New Orleans. Save some of your vacation New Orleans; it is a great place to live, but not a great place for upward mobility unless you are relocating for a few years and expect to be transferred out later.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:35 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
If you are a young professional I wouldn't go near New Orleans. Save some of your vacation New Orleans; it is a great place to live, but not a great place for upward mobility unless you are relocating for a few years and expect to be transferred out later.
I don't know if I would agree with this unilaterally. It really depends on your industry and job.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 AM

This is correct! You cannot say that for every type of job.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:22 PM

37 posts, read 110,845 times
Depends on what you like. If you want to be around a bunch of intellectuals and students, you'll want to live Uptown near the universities (Tulane and Loyola). If you want to be with the hippies and artists, go for the Marigny or Bywater. Mid City is a nice in-between, but I wouldn't live between Jeff Davis and Downtown along the Canal St. area. The exception to that would be the corridor between Ursulines and one block past Esplanade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: