U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,331,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Or a boat.

Car took on water and no longer functions.
I definitely could have used a boat today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,048,305 times
I can't believe my car won't run.

5 inches of water at Target on Vets and Clearview...and car stalls, and airfilter was soaked.
And the really bad thing, so many ruined cars...the insurance guy isn't even close to looking at it, so the dealership hasn't touched it.

*sigh*
But I know people in SE LA had water in their homes, especially outside New Orleans...and I'm at least dry.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,331,678 times
It got really bad out in Lafourche. St Charles, Kenner, and Gretna also got it bad. Why does it seem that parts of Jefferson and the surrounding areas flood much worse now and parts of the city that used to flood pretty bad have started to stay dry?

Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 PM

Maybe b/c there was some investment by FEMA in improving drainage and improved pumping after K, whereas Jeff didn't flood as much...and didn't get the money that New Orleans received?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:24 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,611,088 times
Hey, Prytania, I asked Hubby about your car, he says that most of the time if you give it time it will dry out in a day or two. He suggested that if you know how, you could change out your fluids, (oil, break, transmission) and that may help. He also said that depending on the age of the car everything in the engine should have been well sealed so you shouldn't have gotten water in the engine itself and it just may be a matter of time. Back in the day if your air filter was soaked you would give it a day or two and spray can of starting fluid into the choke while someone else would be trying to start the car, unfortunately, cars today don't have the carburetor set up with a choke etc. like they used to and he's not sure what to do with that situation). I can remember my dad always had a can of starter spray and being allowed to start the old Maverick while he sprayed.

I don't know if this stuff helps, but it could save you some hassle. He's all interested in your car now, (he used to be able to take an entire pre computer car apart and put it back together). Let us know what happens!

You know WB I was thinking that the parish was surprisingly unflooded, (other than in the usual spots), for everything being so flooded. Perhaps the pumps are better post K after all.

Ooh, I just thought of something, you didn't get water up your tail pipe did you? I've always been told that when driving through water you should keep your foot on the gas no matter what or you can risk getting water in the tail pipe and well, that is supposed to be bad. Hubby's explaination is that keeping the foot on the gas allows the air to exit the engine which will keep the engine running and prevents water from getting sucked up inside the engine, (actually he mentioned a manifold and some other stuff, but I figured it's the same as getting water in your engine)

Last edited by Drouzin; 12-16-2009 at 11:57 AM..

Old 12-16-2009, 11:48 AM

That's what I thought too but the guy at Royal Honda said he thought it sounded like it had a bent value but he hadnt opened it up as they were waiting on the adjuster (and he is backlogged 3 weeks) so I had the car towed to Champs in Harahan today (Geico said they have an onsite adjuster who can see the car tomorrow).

I hope it's fine...I've got a rental for now. But I miss my little car.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,611,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
That's what I thought too but the guy at Royal Honda said he thought it sounded like it had a bent value but he hadnt opened it up as they were waiting on the adjuster (and he is backlogged 3 weeks) so I had the car towed to Champs in Harahan today (Geico said they have an onsite adjuster who can see the car tomorrow).

I hope it's fine...I've got a rental for now. But I miss my little car.
I'm glad to hear it went to Champs, I've heard good things about them as far as accident work goes. Yeah, we get attached to our little cars don't we! I was so happy to be back in my Zoom Zoom today, I'm sure your little guy will be feeling fine in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or