Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 30,943 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this is the correct area to post.

Like others, we have a possible Job Offer in New Orleans. We would like some other ideas on good living areas around NO. Is this pssible for a family? Some of the posts on this board really discourage me.

Concerns:

Family friendly area
Teen in High School
Safety
Home that we can buy, with room for lots of pets (dogs cats) - would love a bit of acerage , is that possible?
Resonable commute to work.

So far I have seen the following Suggestions- can anyone narrow down a bit?

North Shore of Lake Ponchitrain
Mandervill
Covington
Slidell
Pineville
Madesonville
Kenner
Gretna
Algears
Harvey
Merrero
La Place
Harvey
Westego

No sure on how close most of these are to NO, or the schools, or community size.

Can anyone help narrow it down a bit?

Currently we live in a town of 30, 000 - would like larger, but don't need hugh big city life either.

Help please?

Last edited by tangal; 11-28-2006 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 04:25 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangal View Post
I am not sure if this is the correct area to post.

Like others, we have a possible Job Offer in New Orleans. We would like some other ideas on good living areas around NO. Is this pssible for a family? Some of the posts on this board really discourage me.

Concerns:

Family friendly area
Teen in High School
Safety
Home that we can buy, with room for lots of pets (dogs cats) - would love a bit of acerage , is that possible?
Resonable commute to work.

So far I have seen the following Suggestions- can anyone narrow down a bit?

Mandervill
Covington
Slidell
Pineville
Madesonville
Kenner
Gretna
Algears
Harvey
Merrero
La Place
Harvey
Westego

No sure on how close most of these are to NO, or the schools, or community size.

Can anyone help narrow it down a bit?

Currently we live in a town of 30, 000 - would like larger, but don't need hugh big city life either.

Help please?
I'd be uncomfortable moving to the Westbank (the area west of the Mississippi River which is lower income and "rough." Plus, with housing at a shortage in NO, I think the Westbank is going to receive a lot of Katrina refugees. So that means the following cities

Gretna
Algears
Harvey
Merrero
Westwego

are not worth exploring. Pineville is in another part of the state and has a paper mill there. LaPlace has newer houses, but it seems there is a black influx into the area. Which I heard was because the housing was relatively cheap.

Kenner is a mixed bag. South of Esplanade I'd avoid. Between Esplanade and the Lake are the nicer houses. The remaining areas

Mandervill
Covington
Slidell
Madesonville

are growing and more family oriented, with a couple of caveats: (1) housing prices are going through the roof, (2) Slidell got hit with the storm surge.

Since we're now looking at suburbs 20-30 (or more) miles away from downtown NO, there are a few other possiblilities

Pontchatoula (Tangipahoa Parish)
Sorrento (Ascension Parish)
St. Charles Parish

Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 30,943 times
Thankyou this helps alot!

Old 12-05-2006, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 39,357 times
Crossing that lake is 25 miles alone. From my research the cities provided by BRman to NO is about 50 miles one way.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyomatrix View Post
Crossing that lake is 25 miles alone. From my research the cities provided by BRman to NO is about 50 miles one way.
Yes. Unfortunately, thanks to NO's unique geography (surrounded by lake and swamp), Katrina destruction, and current demographic settlement patterns, those "far away" areas are about the only areas I'd be comfortable with.

I'm personlly not crazy about the Northshore, Mandeville, Covington, Slidell, and Madisonville because of the distance across the lake, explosive growth, nasty traffic, and storm flooding (in Slidell, anyway). Which is why I threw in Pontchatoula, Sorrento, and St. Charles parish. Those areas are farther out, but accessible by the Interstate.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:48 PM

126 posts, read 471,637 times
Life is grand Uptown. I love it. It's the most pricey of all of metro New Orleans, but, we have wonderful neighborhoods and culture in Uptown New Orleans.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 39,357 times
I don't live in a great city myself San Francisco, CA but I can deal with it. What's a okay city near NO that I can stay and not have to worry about getting rob/beat up/hearing gun shooting? I'm Chinese and love to have home cooked style food from time to time.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:49 PM

42 posts, read 250,383 times
I applaud your effort for wanting to move to NOLA, but even with a job offer, I would not move back there and I'm a native. I'm not trying to discourage you but ...the rent is costly, the cost of living has risen, crime rampant (although most crimes are committed by people that know one another and not to everyday citizens), the infrastucture is still lacking(schools, stores, mail, etc) and realistically it will take about 10 years for the city to recover. I guess, unless this job is REALLY going to pay you in relation to the housing and cost of living, then I think it would be something to think about. But since I left NOLA, my pay got better and the cost of living lower.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:08 PM

63 posts, read 564,879 times
To Tangal: If I were going to move back home to Louisiana with my two high school children and the other two ages 12 months and 11 years and had to work in New Orleans I would move to Metairie in the district where my kids could go to Grace King High School which is an awesome school. Crime is really not much worse that it was before Katrina. Most of it is drug dealer against drug dealer. If you live in house you will be safer. There are some criminal elements moving to apartments on the westbank. The City of Gretna is the safest place on the westbank.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 PM

52 posts, read 288,371 times
Default Moving to NO?

I agree with some of the last posts. I live here in New Orleans, stayed here after the storm because my stuff was basically saved, and came back to protect my stuff from looters. After waiting a year and a half, I'm seriously considering moving elsewhere, possibly back to the Northeast. Like the others said, unless it's a GREAT offer, I wouldn't make the move. The media really hyped up this recovery, and a lot of the problems from before remain with us.
At least in pre-Katrina times, there were more cultural activities and more metropolitan amenities. Now, it's just another small deep-Southern town. Sorry to sound discouraging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans