U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,376,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Making it illegal to rent property to anyone who isn't a blood relative? This is why I say it was a race issue. Places like Chalmette already had a tiny Black population to begin with. After Katrina went through there, alot of people got their stuff jacked up and alot of people left. No one knew who would come back, but if there are no Blacks in a place, which was the case during September 2005 for St Bernard Parish, well, no one has to say "No Blacks Allowed" or even put up laws explicitly saying it. It will just happen by design.
I bet you didn't hear about the blacks at East Over in New Orleans East also voting against allowing low income renters into that neighborhood. Hell, even the councilwomen from New Orleans East, who is black voted against allowing low income rentals.

Is that racism when a black votes against low income rentals or is it only racism when non-blacks vote it out?

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,342,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I bet you didn't hear about the blacks at East Over in New Orleans East also voting against allowing low income renters into that neighborhood. Hell, even the councilwomen from New Orleans East, who is black voted against allowing low income rentals.

Is that racism when a black votes against low income rentals or is it only racism when non-blacks vote it out?

busta
Oh, yes indeed. Can't leave out the "hyphens". It wasn't just East Over either, it was everything north of I-10 and east of Hayne.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,763 times
Red face Country of Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If I was one of those people I would rather sit on the bridge than have the Algiers Point Vigilantes sitting at the offramp waiting for me to come down. It was a "damned if you don't damned if you do" situation. It's not like things were that much better across the river. The only difference was less water. You could sit on the Eastbank and deal with all kinds of hell while NOPD and the military pointed rifles at you or you could sit on the Westbank while NOPD and JPSO pointed riffles at you and herded you up like cattle. Things on the Westbank were being looted and the mall was already on fire. Everyone is scared and panicked.

I'm not defending anybody as I think it was wrong myself, but it's just complicated. It's too many different factors playing in to pull out just one.
What keeps getting lost in this discussion of the CCC incident is that the people who job it is to enforce the law, broke the law. The people on that bridge had the right to cross that bridge and that is the issue that we should be discussing. The only people on that bridge who were acting like criminals were the people who get paid to maintain order. When people start breaking laws to supposedly protect the common good, we are getting closer to communism. Please stop giving excuses for trampling on the rights of others or next times it might be your rights. The criminals with badges should be in jail with the rest of the crooks! Furthermore, if they would have just denied access, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion, but the people on the bridge was so shocked by the behavior of so-called law enforcement personnel that they had to tell the story.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubdog View Post
What keeps getting lost in this discussion of the CCC incident is that the people who job it is to enforce the law, broke the law. The people on that bridge had the right to cross that bridge and that is the issue that we should be discussing. The only people on that bridge who were acting like criminals were the people who get paid to maintain order. When people start breaking laws to supposedly protect the common good, we are getting closer to communism. Please stop giving excuses for trampling on the rights of others or next times it might be your rights. The criminals with badges should be in jail with the rest of the crooks! Furthermore, if they would have just denied access, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion, but the people on the bridge was so shocked by the behavior of so-called law enforcement personnel that they had to tell the story.
Re-read everything I said. I said more than once that I didn't agree with it. I was just addressing the fact they wouldn't have been better off if they had of crossed. The discussion was based on the racial aspect of the situation. There was another bridge where people were actually shot dead. There was a group of NOPD officers killing people as well as burning bodies in cars. The entire city was lawless. Were they racist as well? Are those blacks that stood behind JPSO (even though I believe they were wrong) racist? <-- That was the topic of discussion, not whether or not laws were broken. Next time you want to accuse me of "giving excuses for trampling right", please be sure to know where the discussion is going.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 01-19-2010 at 10:55 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,153,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubdog View Post
Were you there on that bridge?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,799,773 times
[quote=WestbankNOLA;12523880] There was another bridge where people were actually shot dead. There was a group of NOPD officers killing people as well as burning bodies in cars. quote]

And you actually believe this ?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post

And you actually believe this ?
You have no choice but to believe the truth.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You have no choice but to believe the truth.
Did you witness it ? Did any of the news organizations report it ? Can you provide a link to the story ? I'd be interested in seeing it . Seriously .

Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM

Law & Disorder - NOLA.com
7 N.O. cops indicted in killings on Danziger Bridge | New Orleans Metro Crime and Courts News - - NOLA.com
White Gunmen Go On The Record About Shooting Blacks During Katrina: "If it moved, we shot it!" | Notes on New Orleans - NOLA.com
Editorial: Federal investigation into New Orleans post-Katrina killing is warranted | Editorials - NOLA.com

^all I had time to find.. probably not the best, but it gives you the general idea. You should talk to people and listen to the things they went through.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Ok , a couple of isolated incidents . ONE burned body , etc. That , I can believe .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or