Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:35 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times

Advertisements

I want to stay at the a nice litttle hotel at "1319 Saint Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130-4335" but it looks like it it blocks away from one of the high crime neighborhoods in New Orleans, the 3rd ward. Is it safe to stay west of the ponchartrain freeway? I wanted to stay downtown but it is kinda expensive. Any advice would help. Thanks,

Daniel_T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
A while ago, we stayed at the Josephine House in the Garden District. It was close to a crime looking type area, but we had no problems. Good Luck on your search.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 23,659 times
I stayed at the Hampton Inn near but not in the Garden District. It was nice. I don't think anywhere is too safe considering the desperate conditions of some of the remaining citizens. They have to be in such need. I would never walk from my hotel anywhere and shout..I am a tourist. Even coming and going by foot may send this message. So just drive to the areas you need to visit.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:48 PM

15 posts, read 93,082 times
Default Hotels in Garden District

If you are not looking for a unique local hotel, try the Hampton Garden District on St. Charles Avenue. I stayed there for business for over 6 months.

Parking is free, no valet.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:47 AM

191 posts, read 697,764 times
Daniel_T - you said that you wanted to stay downtown but it is kind of expensive - can I ask what your price range is? There are apartment rentals in the Quarter that can be cheaper and most often better than staying in a hotel, depending on what your looking for, I might be able to recommend a few from personal experience. As far as safety goes - regardless of where you are, it really all depends on how you hold yourself and if you are aware of your surroundings - bad things can happen to you in good areas and you could have a great experience and meet wonderful people in the not so good areas.

Per MarchO’s comment on how you should drive to the areas you need to visit - New Orleans is a 'walking' town - to avoid exploring the area on foot means that you won't have the opportunity to really experience what NO has to offer – just keep your wits about you as you would in any city.

Last edited by Len-NJ; 09-26-2007 at 08:58 AM..

Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times
Default Thanks,

I am looking for something no more than 100 dollars a night. Something that is close to everything is a must. If you could recommend anything, that would be great. Right now I am looking at the Hotel Le Cirque in the Warehouse district on the east side of I-10.

Thanks,

daniel_T

Old 09-26-2007, 02:21 PM

191 posts, read 697,764 times
Try contacting Robin at Inn The Quarter she manages a number of rooming options throughout the French Quarter (pics and info can be found on the site) and may have something in your price range.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 PM

177 posts, read 792,570 times
You can also check the Drury Inn & Suites on Poydras St.. It is more centralized and has room prices in that range. It was completely rennovated a few years back so it should be nice rooms. The area is pretty safe as well because it's right in the middle of the business district.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:24 PM

52 posts, read 288,308 times
Default Hotel on St. Charles

The hotel on St. Charles should be fine. New Orleans isn't the Wild West; most of the crime are in certain pockets, and drug-dealing disputes. Just avoid Central City, away from the river past Dryades St.(O.C. Haley), and hang out in the Garden District/Magazine St.

The Drury is nice!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 01:47 AM

32 posts, read 143,192 times
St.Charles is one of the best (if not the best) streets in the city of New Orleans. YOU WILL BE SAFE ON ST.CHARLES!! there is the Intercontinental New Orleans (st.charles)...or the ritz (also on st.charles i think)! if you want cheaper rates look out of the city into the suburbs such as belle chasse (one of the best suburbs) it's only about 15 or 20mins away from the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans