Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 8,476 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving from Los Angeles to New Orleans, my partner is an actor and has had representation in Louisiana for over a year. There seems to be a lot of opportunity in New Orleans whereas Los Angeles is asleep right now so we want to come down and try the market out.
Having not yet visited we wanted to know which areas you guys recommend.
We are a quiet couple mid thirty's couple, no kids.
We would like to find a place with a yard for our dogs if possible and obviously we want to feel safe and live in a nice neighborhood. We currently pay $1000 for rent which is way to much! We would love to find something for around 700-800. We only need a 1 bedroom place.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Ps. We don't have to live right in New Orleans but we do need to be close.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,851,742 times
Its difficult to find a community in New Orleans that doesn't have some artistic vibe/residents. Your budget isn't unheard of, but you would probably have more options (esp options with a yard for the dogs) if you were paying closer to the 1000 you pay now. Sounds like a shotgun double would be your best bet. Midcity will be your best value, but I am not sure if it will feel "safe" (even though it is.) You have to keep an open mind and understand that poor doesn't always equal sketchy. No doubt you will like some of the tree lined streets around Audubon Park, but it may not feel artsy enough. The Quarter is probably not an option with the dogs as yards aren't really possible. The Marigny is probably exactly what you are looking for, but may be difficult to find on your budget.

"Safe" and "artistic" may be mutually exclusive in some areas. For real artistry, try the Treme

Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM

268 posts, read 743,773 times
Yeah, that budget won't get you much these days, NO is wild-a55 expensive following the storm.
You might get something in Jefferson for that, or Algiers. Both fit the profile of being reasonably
close.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM

Thanks guys wow midcity looks great I am looking on craigslist at some places now.

Last edited by onwardsupwards; 05-22-2012 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: question answered

Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 PM

What about if I remove the yard and artist area, do you have any other suggestions to add? Also are there any areas I should completely avoid? Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Your budget is just low as Brad pointed out. Keep looking on craigslist and ask about the addresses you find.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:39 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,851,742 times
New Orleans is a block to block place in many areas. You can't rely on Google street view either-- most of the photos are circa 2007 and are not terribly accurate.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 PM

ok so pretty much same as Los Angeles, high prices for the right place. I have no problem increasing my budget I was hoping I could ge something for under 1000 but I may have been being a bit to optimistic with that I'd rather have somewhere nice
I will look around I really appreciate the help and will post address's or anything on here if I have any more questions. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans