U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 01:42 PM

191 posts, read 635,375 times

Advertisements

I loved this place and always stopped in to buy a few things when I was in town but it looks like it's closed for good - anyone know what happened or if they've moved?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,629 times
I heard from a friend downtown that something happened with the owners, and they are closed indefinitely. Then I was at The Bead Shop the other day (on Magazine Street) and I asked them if they knew, they said the same thing, but that they were sad to see them closed. I know The Bead Shop always sent people down there to New Orleans Gem/Lapidary, and they always sent people to The Bead Shop, so for Bead shop to not know what happened is kinda strange.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,486 times
I know for a fact that the store has reopened, it reopened on Super Bowl Sunday

Old 04-02-2010, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,273 times
Default It's reopened under slightly different name

It's reopened in the same location but is now called French Quarter Gem and Lapidary with one of the original co-owners and a new co-owner, all of the same great products and services. As of April 1, 2010, there is no sign out front, it's being redone and should be in place soon. It's now closed on Tuesdays, but I believe the hours are the same the rest of the week. Once staffing is completed, they may be open seven days.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,092 times
I was there the first week of May 2010, and they are open, and full of wonderful gemstones!!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
I loved this place and always stopped in to buy a few things when I was in town but it looks like it's closed for good - anyone know what happened or if they've moved?
I was just there last week( labor day wknd ). They were closed for a while do to a family crisis but are back open again full-time for business. Closed tuesdays though. Have been going there for about 5years and everything is as wonderful as it always was. Love love love it !!!!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,710 times
Default What happened to New Orleans Jem and Lapidary

I have known the owners since I was a baby. They do move fairly often, but besides that, two years ago the couple that owned the store split up and the store was temporarily closed while they adjusted their business plan. From what I understand, the store is up and running again, and though it changed its name for a while, I believe it is back to being New Orleans Jem and Lapidary.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,133 times
French Quarter Gem and Lapidary, Open 9:30-6, Wednesday through Monday 504-524-9596.
527 Saint Philip Street, New Orleans, LA 70116
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans