U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 PM

57 posts, read 233,807 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a good job offer in New Orleans. We have to make a decision pretty quicky (no time for a trip down). The place he will be working at tells him that a lot of his peers live in Mandeville. Is this a nice place to live. Here is what I am looking for maybe someone can offer their take.

1. Good schools
2. Safe
3. Not too isolated. I would like to at least be near some shopping/restaurants. (Target, TJ Maxx etc.., nothing fancy)
4. Not overly Christian, I am a nonpracticing Catholic.
5. Not alot of overt racism. I do have some minorities in my family so I am a little sensitive, I understand you will get some of that anywhere.
6.Friendly people

I am from Connecticut originally but I have been in N. Carolina for almost 2 years. I like the culture of CT but the weather and people of NC better. I am hoping something in the New Orleans area will make me happy.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,148,545 times
Mandeville fits most of that. Great public schools and it's a very safe community. It is very conservative and a large portion of the population do attend church regularly but it is unlikely you will be excluded because you don't practice--there are lots of people like you in Mandeville, that is, people who relocated from elsewhere and may not have the exact same beliefs as the locals.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:44 PM

177 posts, read 736,651 times
Based on your stated goals, your odds of being satisified with Mandeville are very high.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Location: Wilmington, NC for now... By summer of 2011? Cobb County?
63 posts, read 187,283 times
Kristin S: what part of NC do y'all live in? We are in Wilmington.
We too, are considering a move to the NOLA area. Since the film industry is pretty much dead here and La has gone out of its way to support the industry.
Anyone have recommendations of other NOLA suburbs to live with elementary school age child?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM

We are about 25 miles northeast of Raleigh (in the country) I will let you know where we end up. Looks like we are going!!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 AM

1 posts, read 15,609 times
Just wondering where you decided to reside in the New Orleans area, if you have made that decision yet. My husband, too, just got a job there and have to move by July 1. We are looking for similar things, so I am curious to know what you have found. Four kids, a dog, church, schools, all important. Low crime, nice homes are a plus, too. We are planning a trip in a few weeks, but are not certain where to start? Any help would be great.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:33 AM

I have not moved down yet. My husband is living in a studio and Metarie at the moment. I am waiting for the end of the school year so probably around mid June.
I am taking a trip down the 1st week in April, I plan on looking at Mandeville at the moment. I have a 9 year old so good schools are very important.
I am still up for suggestions, it is hard since I am not that familiar with the area.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 17,800 times
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of work is your husband in?

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 PM

He is in Software Quality Assurance.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 24,552 times
The Northshore is very family friendly with great public schools. I am from New Orleans originally and had moved away for 2 years. When we looked at where to move, my decision making process was much different since my kids had become a little older and were in "real school" not preschool.

We chose to live in Mandeville, even though we have family in Kenner and Metairie. My husband commutes across the lake and across the river everyday because we wanted a safe, family friendly environment.

The Mandeville, Covington, Madisonville areas have some great schools, neighborhoods and recreation amenities. There are plenty things to do with kids: Pelican Park has all the sports leagues, lots of karate, dancing, gymnastics, art schools, etc.

This being said you can find some of these amenities on the southshore but I feel a little safer here. I am not saying there is NO crime in the Mandeville area or Nothing bad happens here but it is definitely less than areas on the southshore.

Good luck in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or