Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:04 PM

77 posts, read 182,991 times

Advertisements

been hearing this a lot lately. thoughts? How will N.O. figure into "The New South"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 05:31 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Never heard of " The new South " . And I live here .

Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
The official water park of the New South

Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
That term dates back into the 1970s when it was applied to Atlanta. Nothing new about it.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:37 AM

258 posts, read 448,128 times
I don't think there will ever be a "New South". Too much non favorable history toward black people. Too conservative and still a little bit scary if you are on a road trip and take the wrong turn.
My sister drove across country to take my niece to college .. they got lost in some rural area in Mississippi. My nephew went into the gas station to pay for the gas and was told ' we ain't got no gas available for y'all right now'. The guy ( a hillbilly ) came out and watched until they left. This was 8 years ago but it still sticks in their minds.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlover View Post
My sister drove across country to take my niece to college .. they got lost in some rural area in Mississippi. My nephew went into the gas station to pay for the gas and was told ' we ain't got no gas available for y'all right now'. The guy ( a hillbilly ) came out and watched until they left. This was 8 years ago but it still sticks in their minds.
Well, I can say that rural northern Mississippi is a whole 'nother planet ... much less a unique area of the country. Beautiful countryside, but yeah. I don't see anything like that happening in many other areas of the south though - or at least not in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, southern/central Mississippi, or Georgia (I'm not familiar enough with Tennessee or South Carolina to make any statements about them).

Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM

77 posts, read 182,991 times
seems some liberalization going on- Houston's elected gay mayor- who would've guessed?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,079 times
since this is my first post in this forum, let me describe myself. i am a 48 y/o black, gay, barefooter, atheist, very liberal, feminist & hippy male. i am a native of mississippi, who has resided in the french quarter for 25 years. the new south does exists but, only in urban areas. if you are in some areas mississippi, louisiana, arkansas or alabama the old south exists. i have been camping, hiking, tubeing & unfortunately encountered bad experiences.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
The only places I've heard the phrase "New South" is Jackson, MS and Atlanta. I don't get it, honestly. Also, how can you compare South Louisiana to Alabama, Mississippi, and even Georgia?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:57 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
Well in comparison to the old South that was characterized by rural small towns, racism and social conservatism.

I think New Orleans has a place at the table...the wildcards being who the next Mayor is and levees.

But you have several venture capital funded technology startups downtown (who in part got the VC funding because they are in New Orleans...that made them stand out), the schools are dramatically improved from what they once were...and people are interested in doing business here.

But the Mayor is going to have a big impact on that (we can't afford another Nagin or Morial), economic development has to be at the forefront of the Mayor's office. And as terrible as it sounds, we either need to survive a long time without a direct hit from a storm or we need a storm to come through and the levees need to hold to demonstrate to corporate America that they can safely do business here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans