U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:38 PM

67 posts, read 155,429 times

Advertisements

We have some wonderful multi cultural markets your wife should like, if she likes to cook that is. In Kenner, near Metairie, there's a concentration of them on and right off the main drag, Williams Blvd. I love shopping there, you can get some fabulous deals and they have produce you can't find in the larger grocery stores. Heck, maybe she can come with me and explain what some of the food is and how to cook it. Regarding crime, it's like everyone says. Just be aware of your surroundings. Sure there are neighborhoods I'd never enter but you can figure out those pretty easily on your own. In old Metairie which is supposed to be very safe, someone was carjacked in front of my friend's million dollar home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM

21 posts, read 93,942 times
For the most part...yes it is! But the uptown area is not too bad.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:42 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,260,561 times
Again, different from Korean, but I did observe many Vietnamese workers in certain areas when I was there. In reality, most Americans (whether in New Orleans/Louisiana or any other city/state in the nation), can't and don't distinguish culturally between the two. If your wife experienced overt discrimination I would have to imagine these Vietnamese would have to be experiencing similiar treatment. I can't speak for them, but I sincerely doubt that is the case.

Crime-wise, I didn't feel any more unsafe in parts of NOLA (which were admittedly dodgy) than I did in parts of Baltimore, Philadelphia, and NYC.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:39 PM

19 posts, read 159,605 times
Very helpful answers from anyone are welcome.

I don't think I personally will have TOO Much culture shock if I come to Nola--- I lived in Columbia, SC for a year when I was younger. I currently live in South Korea, where everyone's an anal-retentive workaholic, and the more relaxed atmosphere of the South is one of the reasons I'm job hunting there.

It sounds like things will pretty safe for my wife--- I had to ask because it's my understanding that there's some real emnity between blacks and Asians--- especially blacks and Koreans--- in the Los Angeles and NYC areas.

Ignorant questions we can handle. Actually, we already get a lot of that here in SK. Korea is so far from being multicultural that in the minds of many of our Korean neighbors and friends, my wife may as well have married a space alien or a talking bear. I've been asked if I'm worried that our child will be "genetically incapable" of learning Korean because of his lack of pure blood, and have also been asked what it's like to have grown up in a country with "no rice", whether or not my curly hair "hurts", and if I'm more sensitive to sunlight because of my "big eyes". And these are adults asking me these questions.

As for food, my wife actually loves Cajun food--- it has a small but growing following in SK, and the locals do a surprisingly good job cooking it. Hopefully we can scare up some Korean ingredients if we move to New Orleans as well. Fortunately, most of the ingredients in Korean food are common in America, although pickled radish and dried seaweed seem a little more elusive than garlic, peppers and cabbage.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,260,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDragon View Post
Very helpful answers from anyone are welcome.

I don't think I personally will have TOO Much culture shock if I come to Nola--- I lived in Columbia, SC for a year when I was younger. I currently live in South Korea, where everyone's an anal-retentive workaholic, and the more relaxed atmosphere of the South is one of the reasons I'm job hunting there.

It sounds like things will pretty safe for my wife--- I had to ask because it's my understanding that there's some real emnity between blacks and Asians--- especially blacks and Koreans--- in the Los Angeles and NYC areas.

Ignorant questions we can handle. Actually, we already get a lot of that here in SK. Korea is so far from being multicultural that in the minds of many of our Korean neighbors and friends, my wife may as well have married a space alien or a talking bear. I've been asked if I'm worried that our child will be "genetically incapable" of learning Korean because of his lack of pure blood, and have also been asked what it's like to have grown up in a country with "no rice", whether or not my curly hair "hurts", and if I'm more sensitive to sunlight because of my "big eyes". And these are adults asking me these questions.

As for food, my wife actually loves Cajun food--- it has a small but growing following in SK, and the locals do a surprisingly good job cooking it. Hopefully we can scare up some Korean ingredients if we move to New Orleans as well. Fortunately, most of the ingredients in Korean food are common in America, although pickled radish and dried seaweed seem a little more elusive than garlic, peppers and cabbage.
Many of the Southeast Asian countries are still very segregated/racially defined, much moreso than the modern U.S. This is particularly true in the case of Japan, which is one of the most racially homogenous countries in the World (and discrimination against Chinese and Koreans in some areas of rural Japan is still rampant).

I generally find most Oriental-Americans to be more concerned with race as a whole than many white Americans.

You should try one of the kimchi po-boys in New Orleans.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:49 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
There is a large grocery called Hong Kong Market over on the Westbank. My D-I-L and son drive over there for Asian foods of all kinds. Seems to be a mecca for Asian shopping for foodstuffs.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 AM

19 posts, read 159,605 times
RelcutantGS, I hear you on the state of race in Asia. Actually, teaching Western notions of race is part of my job here, as I've been working as a language/culture instructor for the public school system. It's very difficult to explain to my students that race and citizenship are not really linked in the Western world. I've explained to them time and time again that blacks, whites, Asians, and many others are all also American, and that even though I have an Italian last name and grandparents from Italy, I'm not Italian per se. Some of them simply can't wrap their heads around it though. The Western view of race is simply alien to them.

To split hairs a little, Korea and Japan are more Northeast Asian than Southeast. Of course, the Japanese and Koreans are very Confucian/Buddhist like their bretheren in Thailand, Vietnam, etc... But they're also extremely wealthy compared to their Southeast neighbors. Their access to cutting edge technology and global travel creates subtle differences in how they perceive the world. Korea's gotten much more progressive in the short time I've been here. The government has set up numerous foreign worker help centers, and congress is working on legislation that will allow dual citizenship and create an open immigration policy for any foreigner who can prove financial stability. Such things are unheard of in most of the Far East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post

You should try one of the kimchi po-boys in New Orleans.
They make kimchi po' boys?! Man, you can combine kimchi with anything! The Dunkin' Donuts around here actually sold kimchi donuts for a while, but they seem to have stopped. It looked like an odd combo. I never tried one, but my wife said they tasted "weird".

Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM

18 posts, read 59,936 times
As an Asian (non-Viet) female that just moved to NOLA a few months ago for a job, I definitely had the same concerns that you and your wife did. I'd echo the posters that say safety-wise it's not much worse than other large urban cities. After having lived in NYC, Chicago, and LA, I do feel like I "stick out" as an Asian more often here, but I personally have yet to experience malicious racism. I feel like people here tend to be a LOT friendlier, or at least, more polite to strangers than those other cities I've lived in. And yeah, most people I've met here that have ventured a guess on my national origin have assumed that I'm Vietnamese. Really no biggie though.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:36 AM

16 posts, read 28,957 times
Thumbs up Nope....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDragon View Post
Hello,

I've been invited to interview for a job in New Orleans. If I get the job and decide to come, I'll be bringing a wife and a small child,s o I have to consider safety.

Is New Orleans and inherently dangerous place to live? Are there safe neighborhoods, general rules to follow to stay out of physical harm, etc...?

And is New Orleans physically small enough that I could easily live in a safer neighborhood and commute to a job in a more dangerous one?

Any thoughts on whether the move is a worthwhile and responsible move for my family would be greatly appreciated.

I've lived here off and on for 31 years, and have never ( knock wood ) been a victim of crime...I sadly have known a few friends who have, but the majority of those were their boyfriends of husbands .... Most of the stuff you see on the NEWS is/are shootings that are taking place in DRUG AREAS where me nor no one in my family would be anytime from 11pm to 4am in the morning searching for crack or drugs or whatever it is their doing..... Its drug dealer on drug dealer ..... Eventually they you would think they would run out of folks to shoot .... Seriously thou, most of what you guys hear or read is just what I said , those types of crimes and killings .... And maybe its sad , but the POLICE I wouldn't think put those sorts at the top of their lists ... New Orleans is a fantastic city , loaded with so much cool stuff its hard to put it into words.....Now we have the NATIONAL WORLD WAR 2 MUSEUM and its VICTORY THEATER ............We ARE A LUCKY CITY IN MANY WAYS ...New Orleans Saints in the SUPER BOWL and ya know , whether they win or lose , we don't care, we are just PROUD OF THEM ...We cant thank the SAINTS enough for picking us and staying here in the city, and we showed them by buying all their season tickets and they now have a waiting list of over 30,000 people ........Thanks fantastic ....This city is fantastic ... Its nearing 300 years old ..... Its been FRENCH , SPANISH and of course American but each great country has let such a spirit and soul that no other city has, many have tried, but it never will never succeed... Its non judgmental , its lezzele' le bon ton roule' ( I am sure I destroyed this saying, my FRENCH stinks) "Let the good times roll" , attitude permeates everything, its people, its music and art, its streets, of course its food and its buildings ..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or