U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM

13 posts, read 15,646 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to relocate, I have 32 cities to choose from and I have narrowed my options down to the following which interest me:

New Orleans

Houston

Charlotte

Atlanta

LA

Bay Area

I am soo confused. I am a 27 year old single African American Female currently residing in Cleveland, OH and I am a Special Education Teacher. I am looking for a city that is filled with entertainment (clubs/bars, music, comedy, plays, sports, arts) and culture. Cost of living and good weather is also important to me.

If you can provide any information or comparison on these cities It would be a great help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:43 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,793,994 times
Are you considering a job in a public school system ?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:29 PM

4,136 posts, read 9,463,425 times
Everyone I know who has lived in Houston has hated it but there must be some who love it.

Is crime important to you? New Orelans has a high crime rate and as a single female that would be a concern for me. Otherwise New Orleans sounds great.

I can't comment on the other places you listed but I assume others will.

Good luck, it sounds exciting!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 AM

67 posts, read 155,465 times
Funny, everyone I know that has lived in Houston hated it too. Cost of living here is low but crime is high. Just use common sense and you should be fine. I work a few blocks from a very high crime area and I'm still here.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:55 PM

361 posts, read 980,886 times
houston i heard is terrible as well. my top picks would be 1) LA, 2) Atlanta, 3) Bay Area (very expensive though), 4) New Orleans. LA and Atlanta i think are two options you should definitely look more into.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 AM

733 posts, read 1,893,212 times
I moved from New Orleans over 25 years ago after graduating from Dillard University. I must admit, I did not like Houston at first because of the cultural differences (people living in New Orleans know what I am talking about). However, Houston has a lot to offer up and coming professionals. The economy is great, housing is affordable, there is no state income tax and there are a lot of things to do in Houston. Crime is not as bad in Houston as in New Orleans. There are a lot of jobs in education and numerous institution of higher learning located in and around Houston. I think you are making a mistake if you select New Orleans over Houston. Take a visit to both before you decide.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 AM

9,362 posts, read 23,168,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTrina216 View Post
I have the opportunity to relocate, I have 32 cities to choose from and I have narrowed my options down to the following which interest me:

New Orleans

Houston

Charlotte

Atlanta

LA

Bay Area

I am soo confused. I am a 27 year old single African American Female currently residing in Cleveland, OH and I am a Special Education Teacher. I am looking for a city that is filled with entertainment (clubs/bars, music, comedy, plays, sports, arts) and culture. Cost of living and good weather is also important to me.

If you can provide any information or comparison on these cities It would be a great help.
Wow, what a wonderful opportunity you have. Congrats!

What kind of lifestyle do you want, aside from entertainment and cultural opportunities, cost of living and god weather?

My totally subjective opinions (MTSO?!):

Atlanta- a fertile area to meet professionals and advance. Strong AA business community. Housing options- urban / suburban higher end neighborhoods at affordable prices.

In New Orleans you marinate. I think it would be life changing to live here. City of opportunity with a bright future. Teaching in an inner city school could be considered missionary work. As a teacher, you will be changing the world anywhere that you live. But, IMO, New Orleans sorely needs young, bright, African American educators.

Charlotte- Healthy professional community. If you enjoy mountains, lakes and the ocean, as well as a more mild change of seasons, this is your place.

Bay Area- I'd want to live an upper-middle lifestyle or better to do it right, so high cost of living. Gorgeous, gorgeous area- from sea to mountains. Great weather.

LA- has never appealed to me, but limited knowledge.

Houston- ehhh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans