Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear Mena's is still open! Awesome place, just a hole in the wall, but they had the best etouffee in town (I think, anyway!). Is the place next door still open - think it was Cuban Kitchen or Cuban Flame maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 PM

104 posts, read 476,523 times
get your muffaletta at Napoleon House. central grocery makes a good sandwich, but it's a....grocery. Nap. House is a real restaurant in a cool space. yes, you may have to deal with occasionally snooty waiters (think Paris), but that has its own charms on good days, and you may grow to appreciate why N. house is also one of my favorite places for a drink. just a more inviting space than the grocery--which you should still check out and where you can buy the olive salad if you want, just not where I would sit down for a nice lunch
--totally agree with acme, but it too is more of a lunch place
--pricier (much, but not off the charts), but nice is the Pelican Club, closer to Canal
Irene's used to be a real gem and I think they are still open. no reservations, though so don't try a busy night, not bad to wait if it's only 45 minutes as there's piano player. another nice space/place. def. "romantic" for the FQ (i.e. no where is really intimate, but Irene's pulls off the small tucked away feeling well enough
if you can get a reservation at bayona's or bacco's they fall into the same category as pelican, not cheap and no gator on the menu, but fine "modern" louisiana cuisine
--be aware that the marigny area is adjacent to the FQ and has more real music clubs and some good places to eat as well. not a bad walk unless you're all the way up the river at canal, then it's still do-able but a good hike. don't forget you can take the streetcar uptown as well.
the food section of nola.com has many , many reviews and top 10 lists, and most menus are found on line. bon appetit

Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
^^Acme is not just a lunch place. Hours are 11am-10pm from Sunday to Thursday and 11am-11pm on Friday and Saturday. The place is very busy at supper time.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
I know it not in the FQ, but does anyone know if Dick & jenny's is still open?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,523 times
My favorite is Oceana.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:48 AM

16 posts, read 32,474 times
Default 3 favorite restaurants in french quarter ...

The GUMBO SHOP in the Quarter near Jackson Square .... Great gumbo, poboys, and entrees ....
PORT OF CALL on Esplanade Ave.... Fantastic steaks, and hamburgers ....
House of Blue on Decatur Street.... They have a SUNDAY BRUNCH that is awesome....with gospel group and all ....... very cool ........

Old 02-06-2010, 01:51 AM

16 posts, read 32,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Glad to hear Mena's is still open! Awesome place, just a hole in the wall, but they had the best etouffee in town (I think, anyway!). Is the place next door still open - think it was Cuban Kitchen or Cuban Flame maybe?

LOVE MENAS , they had a bad fire few years ago, but they moved down the street on the corner of CHARTRES and BIENVILLE.... and the COUNTRY FLAME which was next door, across the little alley/street is still there ...........ENJOY ........

Old 02-06-2010, 10:00 AM

104 posts, read 476,523 times
had a pretty good dinner last night at the brew pub (crescent city brewhouse); perfect baked oysters and a soft shell crab with crawfish in a spicy butter sauce ladeled on top. can't beat that and it was fairly reasonable, considering it's in the middle of the quarter ($10 appetizer, $20 entree). the oyster club sandwich with spinach and bacon sounded good too for 14.95. live jazz too. gotta love this town. it's good to be home ! (and the saints in the super bowl? pinch me)

Old 02-07-2010, 09:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphiny View Post
LOVE MENAS , they had a bad fire few years ago, but they moved down the street on the corner of CHARTRES and BIENVILLE.... and the COUNTRY FLAME which was next door, across the little alley/street is still there ...........ENJOY ........
Thank you!!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
Another vote for Acme....oyster po' boys, yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans