Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting in March (6-10) and will be staying in the French Quarter. We will not have a car, so everything must be walking distance, hence my request for your three fav. restaurants in the FQ. BTW, it's my wife's first time but I've been there many times (mostly for the night life), since I was stationed in Biloxi for a while. However, I haven't been to the city since 2003.

We are not picky eaters, and enjoy all kinds of food. However, we can get Italian, Pizza, and Burgers at home, so we'd appreciate it if you recommended something with some NOLA flavor (however, if it's a don't-miss restaurant, by all means list it).

We're already planning to check out the Muffaletta at Central Grocery, the Po Boys at Johnny's Po Boys (MMMmmm oyster po boy!), and the beignets at Cafe du Monde. However, we still haven't made dinner plans, so the recommendations will probably be for dinner.

I've heard the Crab au gratain at Bon Ton Cafe aren't to be missed, is that the case?

Thanks!

EDIT: P.S. any good places that serve gator would be great!

Last edited by nogard13; 01-26-2010 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Check out the Acme Oyster House.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Check out the Acme Oyster House.
I love their gumbo and poboys, either oyster or shrimp. My son loves their roast beef poboys.

For fancy, Galatoire's used to be my favorite but I haven't been to "fancy" since before Katrina. Is it still open?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times
Fancy is OK, but we're more jeans people than anything else. However, we're open to everything.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,459 times
Default Hole in the wall that is fantastic

Coop's is a little hole in the wall but they have great food. www.coopsplace.net Check them out. It's my favorite.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
The ACME Oyster House on Bourbon street may seem touristy, but the food is top quality. I ate there a few weeks ago: Oysters remoulade, fried soft shell crab po'boy, an Abita Turbodog, and some banana's foster pie = A winning combination.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
Coop's & Acme = in my book! If you are looking for late nite adventure DeJeVu. We also like this little place called The Alpine, (staff are good, friendly people). The Coffee Pot has awesome food, and the staff is "Naturally N'awlins" but can kinda freak some people out a bit. If you can get one of the ladies to sing for you, (I can't remember her name), she will knock your socks off.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Stop in at Napoleon House to relax with a Muffaletta and a Pimm's Cup. The prices are very reasonable, too.

I love Oceana on Conti off Bourbon. Atmosphere is divey but the food is delicious. LOVE their barbequed shrimp, and bread pudding w/rum sauce. (I'm told that their oyster po' boys are very good, too.) But do question the prices of their "specials", because they can be very pricey (as we learned the hard way).

If you make it to Frenchman Street (across Esplanade from The Quarter), check out French Connection, a very casual place with terrific rice 'n' beans.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Hey Drou, I never heard of the Coffee Pot. We'll be there in less than 8 weeks so it's a date right?

I also have to add a vote for Coops. You cant beat anything they have there, my faves are the blackened redfish and the Cajun Seafood pasta. I actually dreamt about it. I never dream about food.
If you want a locals hangout, Deja Vu at 400 Dauphine is great. No nonsense, down to earth, great burgers.
Yet another local hangout is the Clover Grill, at 900 Bourbon St, away from the frat-boy zone.
If you're planning on visiting Frenchmen St to see and hear some great music (and if you're not, you should) make sure you visit '13' at 517 Frenchmen. It's open until 4 or 5 a.m, but get there earlier, before they have read you the list of stuff they dont have.

None of these is particularly posh (heck, they let me in), but have great food and a nice local vibe, though Coops is maybe a teensy bit more touristy than the others.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Hey Drou, I never heard of the Coffee Pot. We'll be there in less than 8 weeks so it's a date right?
It's next to Pat O's and we're so there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans