U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 AM

121 posts, read 221,831 times

Advertisements

Savannah looks allot like New Orleans, at the historic downtown section of Savannah. You may like Charlestown South Carolina. Charlestown reminds me of a larger Savannah.

New Orleans is a whole other Animal, there is no place in America like New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 AM

13,111 posts, read 25,483,556 times
Been to both and you really can't compare them as they are nothing alike imo.
The area around the river in Savannah is very nice but also very small, go beyond that area and there really isn't much. The squares are neat with the park like settings.

I find there is more to do in NOLA and I don't mean just party....you have an awesome zoo, The D Day museum, side trips to the bayous etc etc

Oh and the food...no comparison and when in NOLA I'm not eating at over priced places like Emeril..local lil holes in the wall..good food and affordable

Old 02-09-2010, 11:44 AM

194 posts, read 490,903 times
I'm a soon-to-be New Orleanian, so I'm biased ;-) All three cities are beautiful, Southern cities on the water. There's a lot of similar architecture. People-wise, I think Charleston is the most conservative (some might say "snobby"), while New Orleans is certainly the most laid-back. I've only been to Savannah twice, but it seems pretty small, with the "ugly sprawl" mixed in amongst the historic areas, more so than in the other two cities.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,434,706 times
I've never been to Savannah, but I'd like to go someday. I loved New Orleans though. I'm going there for college!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,378,538 times
I think New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah get lumped together a lot b/c they are three of the best preserved southern urban areas from the antebellum period and they all give off an old south feel. And of course they are all port cities. All three are great. New Orleans is by far the largest and is definitely a "city". Savannah feels more like a town. Charleston is in between. The downtown feels pretty urban, but it is small.

New Orleans is the most carefree and the grittiest. Charleston is more refined and places more of an emphasis on appearances. To me Savannah seems between those two.

They all have lots of great architecture and of course Savannah has those beautiful squares. All three are great and worth a visit.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:59 AM

14,198 posts, read 20,546,842 times
I feel Mobile is always left out of these discussions.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM

799 posts, read 1,362,648 times
I have been both places for extended periods (several months at a time) for work on film shoots. Both locations are picturesque and often used in movies: New Orleans (LA) offers better tax incentives.

To me, New Orleans has a lot more energy and mystery. Savannah is quirky and more provincial. I don't really think they look too much alike-- Savannah is structured around squares and New Orleans is most famous for the French Quarter which has more Spanish and French style architecture. Savannah's historic downtown is more Georgian.

Savannah's downtown has a more park-like setting due to the large live oaks located in the squares. River Street is its answer to Bourbon St but its nowhere close unless its St Patrick's Day. Both cities have open container laws which are more liberal than in other parts of the country.

Savannah is slower. You get to know very quickly what there is to do and options run out fast. New Orleans always seems to have a festival or some kind of event happening. To me, New Orleans has a "pull"-- you leave and you want to come back. Savannah is sort of like visiting your grandma-- its nice and you enjoy it, but you can't always connect to her old fashioned habits.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 PM

797 posts, read 1,204,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I feel Mobile is always left out of these discussions.
It's probably because Mobile is not as nice in the core of the city compared to the other three cities, especially since it seems Mobile lost a lot of its older architecture. It also does not have as strong of a tourism base which makes it less well known. To me, some other Southern cities that are often left off of these discussions are Louisville and Richmond. They have some great architecture and history, and from about 1850-1930 Louisville was the #2 city in the South behind New Orleans.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 PM

14,198 posts, read 20,546,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
It's probably because Mobile is not as nice in the core of the city compared to the other three cities, especially since it seems Mobile lost a lot of its older architecture. It also does not have as strong of a tourism base which makes it less well known. To me, some other Southern cities that are often left off of these discussions are Louisville and Richmond. They have some great architecture and history, and from about 1850-1930 Louisville was the #2 city in the South behind New Orleans.
I've never actually been to Mobile, just drive through on my way to Florida. I've seen many pictures of the architecture and you never hear about it much on CD. The city itself doesn't have much tourism but the surrounding beaches sure have a healthy amount. I feel as if Louisville and Richmond are so far removed from us on the coast, while they are undoubtedly southern, they are a stones through away from cities like Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and DC.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 AM

797 posts, read 1,204,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've never actually been to Mobile, just drive through on my way to Florida. I've seen many pictures of the architecture and you never hear about it much on CD. The city itself doesn't have much tourism but the surrounding beaches sure have a healthy amount. I feel as if Louisville and Richmond are so far removed from us on the coast, while they are undoubtedly southern, they are a stones through away from cities like Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and DC.
I have never been either, just passing through on I-10. I was just going off of what I have heard and off of Google maps/streetview. It just seems to me that Mobile is in a lower tier when it comes to architecture than New Orleans, Charleston, or Savannah. But Mobile still does have some great architecture. The beaches do get a lot of tourism but they are pretty disconnected from Mobile. I get what you mean with Louisville and Richmond, they are "way up there". But like you said they are undoubtedly Southern, even more so than New Orleans (when looking at typical Southern culture).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or