U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 AM

152 posts, read 436,697 times

Advertisements

True the flavor is from the roux. Lent is a Catholic observation and therefore those of us who aren't Catholic know very little of it. It seems less popular, gunbo z'herbes or green gumbo, to those of us who don't observe Catholic traditions. Of course maybe its cause I wasn't born here so therefore not a "local" but I really think its more of the fact that i am not catholic nor was I raised catholic and don't observe lent so I don't look for or notice foods that I would normally eat with meat in vegie form. I don't hear of them nor have I ever until I wiki'd it. This friday ill be sure to eat a big juicy hamburger for all the catholics out there lol. I'm prolly going to hell, or maybe purgatory since I was raised at least protestant, because of it, and the fact that I didn't get ashes smeared on my head last wednesday. But I apologize because I don't want to turn this into a religious flame war thread.So what have we found? That you could possibly find a vegie form of gumbo somewhere or at least a recipe. Oh and non-catholics do exist! (Lol my last girl friend didn't know what a protestant was due to her hegemonic catholic upbringing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,332,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico82NO View Post
True the flavor is from the roux. Lent is a Catholic observation and therefore those of us who aren't Catholic know very little of it. It seems less popular, gunbo z'herbes or green gumbo, to those of us who don't observe Catholic traditions. Of course maybe its cause I wasn't born here so therefore not a "local" but I really think its more of the fact that i am not catholic nor was I raised catholic and don't observe lent so I don't look for or notice foods that I would normally eat with meat in vegie form. I don't hear of them nor have I ever until I wiki'd it. This friday ill be sure to eat a big juicy hamburger for all the catholics out there lol. I'm prolly going to hell, or maybe purgatory since I was raised at least protestant, because of it, and the fact that I didn't get ashes smeared on my head last wednesday. But I apologize because I don't want to turn this into a religious flame war thread.So what have we found? That you could possibly find a vegie form of gumbo somewhere or at least a recipe. Oh and non-catholics do exist! (Lol my last girl friend didn't know what a protestant was due to her hegemonic catholic upbringing)
Port of Call on me!
j/k

Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM

152 posts, read 436,697 times
Lol!

Old 06-19-2010, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,718 times
What a variety of comments. Great smiles and laughter. Southern food is what it is and to change it to satisfy a "no meat" lifestyle will no doubtably lessen your experience, however it can be done at home. I've not found many restaurants that have adapted to easily changing their menu items, so let us all know what you discover. Good luck and happy eats !!!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:40 AM

42 posts, read 143,308 times
You know, Popeye's actually has really good RBR and it doesn't have seafood or meat in it, not pieces of them anyway.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:05 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,906,987 times
The thing about gumbo is it cooks slowly to absorb the flavors of the seafood or meat. For seafood gumbo, groceries sell "gumbo crabs" which are crab shells with the meat removed (sold as lump crabmeat). You add those to help flavor the gumbo. So a meatless gumbo, IMO, would be pointless. Although I lived there most of my life, I never bothered with green gumbo.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 570 times
Praline connection and coco hut have vegan beans (red, crowders, white, purple hulls, black eyed) gumbo shop, praline connection, and seed have vegan gumbo or gumbo z'herbes. Even better I'll post and invite you to my vegan pop up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans