U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:14 AM

26 posts, read 84,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Some one posted that the drivers in New Orleans are horrible. The next few post were blasting the guy's post & everythang else in his post That he should make such a commit. That's New Orleans for ya, it's a great place to live with great people, but learn from this post. Crime is vary high, don't mention it, people get offended. If you have children know that in New Orleans your gona want consider private school. Homeowners insurance is high, real high, if you buy get flood insurance. And to answer the question of how people drive around here, expect to pay the highest car insurance rate in the united states. Come on down we have plenty room.
What?!?! I'm sorry man, but this is barely intelligible. What posts are you referring to that are "blasting" and, for that matter who are you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 11:24 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,425,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Neil View Post
What do you mean by this? The statement seems to contradict itself. Many people left after the storm, yes. You are quiet, yes. Therefore, you enjoy the quiet, no?

Sucks to live there and be alone, i.e. single? What do you mean by alone? I'm confused.

Seems like everyone ******* about the motorists in their town, I think it's kind of silly honestly...... bad driving is not contagious. Maybe people drive aggressively or slowly as a bigger trend, sure, but outright ****ty driving can't really be that prevalent, to the degree that warrants people making such hyperbolic claims about the motorists of their city???
Duh I don't know

Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Just when I was starting to think that I was an excellent driver. I get so irritated by drivers in other cities. My bad.
Little sarcism

Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
What?!?! I'm sorry man, but this is barely intelligible. What posts are you referring to that are "blasting" and, for that matter who are you referring to?
Let's see if I can be a little more intelligble, you'll pay way high insurance premiums for car insurance and home owners insurance in New Orleans and surronding area's and make sure you have flood insurance, just a little knowledge and advice from a local to a out of towner that may be moving to our fair city, Fair enough?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,019 times
Quote:
Bad Rabbit,....
Where in Chicago are you? I moved there after college and spent a year in Old Irving Park, and another several months in Logan Square before an ill fated excursion to the west coast (where I did, in fact, find fault with the general population). I don't belong on the west coast, I decided.
Stephen,

I am currently infesting Lakeview, near Wrigleyville. It is an OK neighborhood, but the yuppie and dimwit quotient here is truly frightening.
One can tell by the number of times per minute the young people on the sidewalks yell the word "like" into their wireless monstrosities.

It is a curious thing. We have such magnificent means of communication at our disposal. Satellites link up in space at the click of a button and terabytes of data stream hither and tither but I have never, not once, overheard someone on a cellphone having a conversation that was even remotely interesting.
Perhaps the fact that I am a fastidious malcontent has something to do with this.
But I digress.

Quote:
It's possible to overthink something, and I've done that about New Orleans. I've thought about it so much that it's become evident I absolutely have to give it a shot, and so I will. Maybe we should knock a few back, us secular heathens?
Not only do I agree that it is possible to overthink such matters, I am one of those wayward souls who labor under the conviction that overthinking is the main cause of unhappiness. That is, unhappiness for privileged, white people who do not have to suffer the baser indignities that most of the planet's bipedal primates are subjected to.

I really have to work on this digression thing.

Re. moving to NOLA: Go for it, my brother in unbelief.

And I'd love to take you up on the offer to achieve mild to severe inebriation.

Drop me a message when you get to NOLA ( or Chicago).

Greets, and may Charles Darwin and Sam Harris ( Peace be upon his clear-thinking head) provide you with courage, wisdom and wit as you dwell among the philistines.

Bad Rabbit

Old 03-20-2010, 04:15 PM

187 posts, read 785,140 times
I moved to New Orleans in 1990 without knowing a single person in that city, and I was just 21 years old. I was moving there for grad school, but my program was very small, only 2 other students, and I didn't meet a lot of people that way. However, I fell in love with the city--that's why I made that leap to go there, based on one prior 5-day visit--and I lived there for 4 years total, staying 2 years beyond my degree. Part of me didn't want to leave, but a variety of reasons played roles in my decision to return to Chicago.

I still think of New Orleans fondly, the smell of the sweet olive trees all over town, the 'yat accent of Bywater, the architecture most of all, the friendliness of the people, the music! The food! I just loved it there.

Now that I'm older I wonder if I could keep up with all the things to do there, the great shows...the public parks and gardens, all the fun places to visit within a short drive. Just walking around the neighborhood to take photographs....

There's no place like it on earth.

I lived in Algiers Point, and I loved it because I commuted into work each day on the ferry. It's great for those without a car; just walk on or bring your bike. The river is the reason for the city to have been founded there, so I really loved to be on the river each day, to plan my schedule according to river-crossing.... My neighbors there were great, it was very quiet, yet wonderful. (Of course, when I was in school, I lived close to campus.)

Marigny, Mid-City, so many great neighborhoods....

Go for it!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 PM

4,825 posts, read 6,324,666 times
Quote:
Where exactly do you live, hey teach?

I'm in Athens.
We live and work in Huntsville. Hi neighbor!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:15 PM

10 posts, read 62,611 times
Every time I jump on this forum, I get so excited about moving to New Orleans. Even when I read the "bad" stuff, I get excited. (well, except for the flying cockroaches-- those do sound horrific.) It will be great to be a part a creative city again. Just a few more months and I will be there! Yay!

And sign me up for throwing back a beer...

Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 PM

194 posts, read 491,283 times
I know how you feel, MissMariah! I've been looking forward to our move for almost two years, and we're finally leaving for NOLA in three days! I am thrilled ;-)

Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 PM

26 posts, read 84,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
I know how you feel, MissMariah! I've been looking forward to our move for almost two years, and we're finally leaving for NOLA in three days! I am thrilled ;-)
I'll meet you in Birmingham, you can tie me to the top of your vehicle.

I'm so ready to get down there, I'm flirting with the idea of moving much sooner than I had planned and without a car or a job or a place to stay. I'm just bonkers enough, at times, to do things like that.....

Good luck with your move, I'm jealous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans