U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,495 times

Advertisements

me, my husband and family, are planning on moving to Louisanna. This is a question to the person who lives in the west bank in New Orleans, are we going to have to bring a gun and granades. Before we move to louisianna, so we can protect our sh$$$

Last edited by Futurelouisannaresidents; 04-02-2010 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: just wanted to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,337 times
Default Love it!

Thank you so much for this thread, I love it! I'm also considering a move to NO here soon. I love citydata for its relocation info, but when it comes to researching new orleans, I'm faced with either philosophical debates on the state of rising crime in the city versus others cities across the US or (what seems to be) completely biased opinions that really just sound like die-hards 'reppin' their city. I have a friend who's recently moved there and she says "OMG, you're just going to LOVE it here," but its hard to tell if she means it or if she's trying to recruit a roommate.
The problem is thus: I'm trying to decide between Denver and NOLA, two completely polar opposite cities (in my limited opinion), but each represents one side of my, apparently, split personality. The crime is worrisome, but I was IRREFUTABLY attracted to the culture and diversity of NO, something somewhat lacking in Denver.
Regardless, this thread accomplished exactly what I was looking for: a critical look at the good and bad sides ending with a fairly positive conclusion.
Stephen, did you ever make it to NOLA? I see this thread is a few months old. If so, how is it and any personal notes or advice?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,403,622 times
I'm with the OP, I've always had a strange romanticism with the city of New Orleans. I would move there in a second if I were offered the opportunity. There is just something about it.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 6,335,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I'm with the OP, I've always had a strange romanticism with the city of New Orleans. I would move there in a second if I were offered the opportunity. There is just something about it.

Killer post. My mom took me to N.O. for the Worlds Fair in 1984 when I was 8 from Iowa and- "I've always had a strange romanticism with the city of New Orleans"- sums up my feelings exactly.

I'm always thinking of ways to make a living or a business to get into down there.

"There is just something about it"

Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM

26 posts, read 84,446 times
Well, haven't looked on this forum in awhile. Surprised this thread is still kicking.

I scored an apartment in the Quarter on craigslist. I don't know the girl I'll be rooming with, but we've talked on the phone and emailed a lot, she seems harmless.

I don't have to sign anything, no lease, month to month.... don't have to pay any money until I get down there and see the place at the end of this month.

I'm psyched! Here goes nothin! Thanks for all your help everyone.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 18,142 times
hmm. sipping on coffee and blogging on my laptop, I can't wait, I am also relocating to New Orleans and I am sooo excited, I just don't know if whether I should sell all my stuff and start fresh or bring my stuff with me. Decisions...decisions...

Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 PM

38 posts, read 83,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctlion84 View Post
hmm. sipping on coffee and blogging on my laptop, I can't wait, I am also relocating to New Orleans and I am sooo excited, I just don't know if whether I should sell all my stuff and start fresh or bring my stuff with me. Decisions...decisions...
I just recently relocated here and I sold all my stuff. Dragging things of minimal value 20+ hours just didn't make any sense to me. My apartment will be fully furnished again . . . eventually. But for now I'm enjoying the city a lot, one of the best decisions I've made. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts . . .

Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 AM

268 posts, read 659,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Neil View Post
As I'm getting older, though, I kinda just want a nice gal..... friends are a secondary concern. They have come and gone my entire life, really.
Haha, I had a feeling all this probing was leading to something.
Why don't y'all just hook up and clear the forums for NO talk, lol.
I am kidding.
In fact i am glad you asked all the questions Stephen, I was thinking, Hmm, maybe
I ought to forego a move to Raleigh and focus on returning to my home of NO.
Maybe this Prytania is cute. I am 46 and single, never been married.
But then I think of the heat and how difficult it makes it for me to wear nice clothes, lol.
Hard to hold down any kind of job when you feel like taking 5 showers a day.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM

268 posts, read 659,884 times
After reading all the good and the bad, it IS kind of a dunk in cold water when
you think about it. The insurance companies learned alot from Latrina.
Sorry, Katrina. But I left the error.
The insurance companies came up with more and more ridiculous ways not
to pay claims. It was truly astonishing and just criminal. Now after Katrina,
it's almost like owning a home is the dumbest thing you could possibly do,
unless it was on stilts. I love NO, but if I were to go there, I could never
make it. I work in TV, and it is notoriously low paying. Based on the transigent
nature of the business, they can always pay a fresh young piece of meat half
of what you want to do the same job. You gain experience, but it is a catch-22
The more experience you get the tougher it is to survive. So I have to
leave the great city to you richies. I could survive but not thrive. But I had
a lifetime of memories of NO, and I visit often. It just seems like there's no need
for me to go back NOW, when it needs me most. All of the un-fun stuff
is bad in NO. All of the good stuff is better than anywhere in the world.
But the money stuff is expensive, and the mandatory things are ever more expensive.
Homeowner's insurance is HIGH, Car insurance is HIGH, Flood Insurance is HIGH.
Not just HIGH, that makes it sound better than it is. ASTRONOMICAL is more accurate.

BUT OH what a siren song she sings.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,420,875 times
What a great post and you hit the nail on the head, now I'm settled in and have a affordable mortgage, as I'm the type that holes up and just hangs on, but damn sure hope the insurance company's don't finaly just push me out of the area, then the crime and corrupt politicians well I hope it never happens, but the right storm and my house gets wiped out I'll probably roll out, course with the oil spill the right storm and New Orleans will be a hazardous waste site anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans