Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
Stephen,

I had never been to New Orleans until April of 2008, when my husband and I "ran off and got married" there. I don't know what it was like before the storm, but I do know that no other place I've ever visited has grabbed my heart with both hands like New Orleans immediately did. We've been back many times since and will be moving permanently in the next few weeks. We just got back from our last visit about 12 hours ago.

Every time we go, we drive all over the city and mark good and bad areas on our map. We talk to people of all sorts. We have friends in Mandeville, Slidell, and Mid-City. We've also visited Metairie and Kenner and Gretna just to "be sure", but there's never been any question in my mind that I wanted to live in New Orleans itself.

I am 37 years old, caucasian, no children, and we own a small but growing costume business. We are from the city of Atlanta (not some gloriously mediocre suburb) and we know how to take care of ourselves. Sh*t happens everywhere, and you just have to be smart. We've never had a bad experience in New Orleans because we don't hang out with drug dealers or walk around at night in unfamiliar areas. We don't do that in Atlanta, either, or even in my in-laws' upper-class, whitebread suburb (where a young friend of the family was almost kidnapped last year by a stranger).

Get your butt to New Orleans and use your brain! In all of our visits, we have yet to meet a rude person, black or white, and the creative/artistic community there is incredible. I know there are criminals and thugs there, but the more good people that come the more outnumbered the bad ones will be. Life is what you make of it, and you get back what you put out. Focus on the positive and deal with the negative when necessary, but don't dwell on it. There are so many great neighborhoods in New Orleans. It is far, far from dead. Come on down, re-familiarize yourself and consider making the move. You could be a part of making a great city even better ;-)
Good Lord, a lot of this could have been written by me.

If you love the city so much, GO! I'd give anything right now to be moving there. My husband had a job offer there but sadly it fell through. We're both still actively looking for employment there.

There is something so unique about New Orleans, I absolutely fell in love with the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:03 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,428 times
What is it with that dang city? It's as if I'm separated from, and pining for a lover. We'll be there in just over a month but I feel like I'm wasting away in the meantime.
OP: I think the only way is to jump in that ol' deep end and start paddling...there'll always be a friend to throw you a life buoy should you need it.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:18 PM

25 posts, read 109,207 times
I love that city, it is amazing. I went to Tulane and was there before, during and after the storm. It did change, one would not expect otherwise, but there has been so much improvement from when I permanently left in summer of 07 to the last time I was back in fall of 09.
I will caution anyone that it is what it is. There is corruption and crime and sometimes things are a little backwards and (i'm sorry, i know i'm going to offend someone here) it has the worst drivers I have ever seen in my life, but its also amazing and full of life and culture and has some sort of meaning that I can't really describe or quantify. After four years I was SO ready to leave... within six weeks I was dying to go back... still am.

okay, so I love New Orleans but... I wish New Orleanians would make an attempt at abiding by traffic laws.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM

26 posts, read 91,871 times
Well, not that anyone cares, but I've stopped minding what could go wrong..... I'm moving down there..... because I really, really want to.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
I personally feel everyone should live in New Orleans at least for one period of their life.

I also live in North Alabama and with all that is going on in our area now, students shooting students, professors shooting professors, airplanes crashing in subdivisions; terrible things happen everywhere.

Go for another visit, contact a rental agent or realtor (if you want to buy) and go for it. You will never know until you do it.

We lived in New Orleans in the late 1980's and one of our greatest desires is to return to live there again.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 AM

Where exactly do you live, hey teach?

I'm in Athens.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times
I sometimes want to leave myself honestly. Why? I want smooth streets and drivers and creep up the road like they don't give a damn is irritating (and could honestly only be irritating if you had lived elsewhere).
I only fear if I left...5 minutes later I'd be thinking nooo, I made a mistake! I want to go back!
However so many people got displaced after the storm and I've always been a quiet person...it sucks to live here and be alone. :/

Old 02-19-2010, 02:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Just when I was starting to think that I was an excellent driver. I get so irritated by drivers in other cities. My bad.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
However so many people got displaced after the storm and I've always been a quiet person...it sucks to live here and be alone. :/
What do you mean by this? The statement seems to contradict itself. Many people left after the storm, yes. You are quiet, yes. Therefore, you enjoy the quiet, no?

Sucks to live there and be alone, i.e. single? What do you mean by alone? I'm confused.

Seems like everyone ******* about the motorists in their town, I think it's kind of silly honestly...... bad driving is not contagious. Maybe people drive aggressively or slowly as a bigger trend, sure, but outright ****ty driving can't really be that prevalent, to the degree that warrants people making such hyperbolic claims about the motorists of their city???

Old 02-19-2010, 03:36 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times
I just think its hard to meet new people here.
Its very cliquey (although people are nice and talkative).

Being a quiet, shy person doesn't mean I don't miss friends or don't want new friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans