U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:01 PM

7,887 posts, read 9,109,401 times

Advertisements

Id say it's more like Baltimore wishes it was the New Orleans of the north...

Old 03-01-2010, 04:25 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,891,911 times
I. Cannot. Believe. New Orleans. Was Just. Compared to. Baltimore.

Oh. My. God.

I'm going to kill myself.

Not really...but seriously, what are you smoking? New Orleans is leaps and bounds better than Baltimore. In fact, Baltimore is probably the single worst coastal city I have ever been to. There is nothing to do downtown except for fear that you're going to get gangraped.

New Orleans, by contrast, has Bourbon Street, the French Quarter, Audobon, Aquarium of the Americas, Riverwalk, Beignets, Coffee with Chicory, Cajun/Creole Foods, French Street Signs, the Mississippi River, the Steamboat Natchez, Harrah's downtown, Jackson Square, Lake Ponchartrain, the world's longest bridge over water,.... should I go on? Oh, and of course, the superdome and THE SAINTS!!!! WHO DAT!?

As someone who grew up 3.5 hours from NO and went to school roughly the same distance from Baltimore...and as someone who has regularly traveled to both, I can assure you there is absolutely NO comparison. Whatsoever. Zero.

Look for another city in the south. I might suggest Memphis or Atlanta.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 PM

445 posts, read 1,213,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I. Cannot. Believe. New Orleans. Was Just. Compared to. Baltimore.

Oh. My. God.
This was kinda my first sentiment, too...
There is absolutely no comparison between Baltimore and Nawlins.

It's like saying "Is Gary, Indiana and Chicago, Illinois comparable? They both have a lot of black people, are on a big lake and have factories and stuff..."

I like New Orleans (having been there as a tourist a few times), but I'm not a huge New Orleans fanatic like a lot of people seem to be. I wouldn't ever live there. Still, there is absolutely, positively no comparing New Orleans to Baltimore (Lived just north of Baltimore for a year back in the early 2000's- won't be going back). New Orleans offers a ton more in the way of cultural richness that Baltimore doesn't even begin to offer.

Jacksonville, Florida may as well be Oklahoma City which may as well be Birmingham, Alabama which may as well be Indianapolis, Indiana.
New Orleans is one of a handful of cities that are entirely 'their own thing' and completely unto themselves in almost every way. New York, Chicago, Miami, LA, New Orleans- Paris, London, Prague, Hong Kong, Mumbai... You get the idea.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 PM

57 posts, read 128,755 times
No, I actually can walk through certain parts on N.O. and feel safe. Can't really say the same about Baltimore. And N.O. has much more entertainment.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:38 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,891,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
This was kinda my first sentiment, too...
There is absolutely no comparison between Baltimore and Nawlins.

It's like saying "Is Gary, Indiana and Chicago, Illinois comparable? They both have a lot of black people, are on a big lake and have factories and stuff..."

I like New Orleans (having been there as a tourist a few times), but I'm not a huge New Orleans fanatic like a lot of people seem to be. I wouldn't ever live there. Still, there is absolutely, positively no comparing New Orleans to Baltimore (Lived just north of Baltimore for a year back in the early 2000's- won't be going back). New Orleans offers a ton more in the way of cultural richness that Baltimore doesn't even begin to offer.

Oh I could never live in New Orleans either... I hate the heat/humidity and hurricane threat. Doesn't stop me from cheering on my home major city, though.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM

3,695 posts, read 7,556,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
That's what City Data has. Do they update these "statistics" often?
Not until 2011. City-data only updates the crime stats and population. You're going to have to go to Census Bureau Home Page to look at more recent(2006-2008) demographic stats on a city.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,661 times
Quote:

{assorted BS removed}
What?

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Have you ever been to New Orleans?

Whatever you are smoking, please Bogart it all.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:21 PM

226 posts, read 896,619 times
well I hope you all aren't just hyping NOLA for its "touristy" hot spots (yeah, those are typically safe). Baltimore's "inner harbor" and "downtown" areas are just about safe. I just thought maybe there's a comparison, etc.

Oh and if you all live in the NOLA "mansions" and are in the "in-crowd" or "cliqqy" crowd then you probably won't have a clue of what's going on in your surrounding areas.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:25 PM

226 posts, read 896,619 times
Quote:
well I hope you all aren't just hyping NOLA for its "touristy" hot spots (yeah, those are typically safe). Baltimore's "inner harbor" and "downtown" areas are just about safe. I just thought maybe there's a comparison, etc.

Oh and if you all live in the NOLA "mansions" and are in the "in-crowd" or "cliqqy" crowd then you probably won't have a clue of what's going on in your surrounding areas.
just trying to get some REAL facts.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:20 PM

245 posts, read 412,718 times
Quote:

just trying to get some REAL facts.

Really? Because it looks as though you are just trying to provoke the people that are kind enough to answer your questions. They are answering from their own perspectives based on actual personal experience. You asked questions and got answers. Are you asking questions only so you can argue the answers? Are you in disbelief? Are you experiencing some cognitive dissonance? Is there a malfunction?

How about this, go to New Orleans. Answer your own questions. There will be no arguing with what you find out for yourself.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or