U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,331,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
Really? Because it looks as though you are just trying to provoke the people that are kind enough to answer your questions. They are answering from their own perspectives based on actual personal experience. You asked questions and got answers. Are you asking questions only so you can argue the answers? Are you in disbelief? Are you experiencing some cognitive dissonance? Is there a malfunction?

How about this, go to New Orleans. Answer your own questions. There will be no arguing with what you find out for yourself.

Good luck.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 PM

8,381 posts, read 12,862,964 times
I grew up in New Orleans and live in Baltimore now. New Orleans is WAY better than Baltimore though I can see the comparison sometimes. I do take issue with calling Baltimore a Northern city, though, its a mix. I don't like to be associated with New Jesrey and Pennsylvania or New York. Baltimore feels very laid back compared to DC, Philly, or New YOrk with little of the pretentiousness of those places except regrettably for the yuppies who are moving in. But in New Orleans too, the yuppies are moving in with the reconstruction. I think in both places, part of our soul, our working class roots, is lost with every Starbucks drinking, NOrth Face or Abercrombie wearing yuppie who moves in who knows nothing about our native culture and don't want to be part of it.

Both Baltimore and New Orleans are famous for seafood too. Also both have a large Catholic population that makes us stand out from the rest of our states. Like the Maryland Eastern Shore is heavily Protestant, just like the rest of Louisiana and the South. In terms of crime, New Orleans does hide its bad parts better. In Baltimore even downtown is dangerous. A few months ago right on the harbor there was a shootout between two street gangs who ran into each other. There are murders almost every day here. In New Orleans the good parts are secure, in Baltimore there is no part of the city that is totally immune to crime. New Orleans now has a bigger Hispanic population with the new reconstruction workers. I don't care as long as they are LEGAL and are interested in assimilating and being American and abiding by our laws and following our culture. Baltimore has very few immigrants. Even native born people here who have connections can't find jobs these days.

Here nobody compares Baltimore to New Orleans. We are often compared to Philadelphia, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. THese are all depressed cities with decaying industries, population decay, etc. Though I have met people who have confused Baltimore with both Philadelphia and Norfolk/Hampton Roads. Also have met someone from Richmond with said Richmond and Baltimore are similar in terms of segregation and crime. I personally think Richmond is better.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,819 times
I am not sure I see the similarities here. If your wanderlust is steering you toward a place of rebirth and revival, try Hampden. Seriously.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,270,192 times
I live in Baltimore and love it. There are a lot of assumptions being made on here. I walk to quite a few places for work, play, etc and feel completely safe. The areas all around the inner harbor are decent neighborhoods with a lot of activities. There are a lot of decent neighborhoods in the city that are just as "safe" as the surrounding suburban areas. These generalizations about Baltimore being more unsafe are absurd. Look at the stats: New Orleans is definitely outshining Baltimore in the homicide department.

Now that I got that off my chest, I love New Orleans and actually prefer it to Baltimore. However, I am not a warm-weather guy so I'll stay put. Oh, and they are nothing alike other than having a history of being port cities.

I will say this: in all of my visits to New Orleans, I have never experienced anything negative. However, I use MUCH more caution walking around New Orleans at night than I do in Baltimore.

2010 homicide rates:
New Orleans -32/ 358,000
Baltimore-27/637,000

Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,109,401 times
New Orleans can be a very dangerous place. I witnessed not one but two murders there, as a child. Fortunately they victims were not family..but then again, I lived in Algiers...across the river.

BUT:

If you know where to go in New Orleans, you will be perfectly safe. In fact I have found it safer now, post-Katrina, than it was back in 1972-1973 when I lived there.

The French Quarter is safe, as is most of Canal south of I-10 and downtown. Around I-10 things can be scary, and I would advise any tourist to the French Quarter to stay WEST of Esplanade. But there is so much to do and see within those parameters...and the food...OMG.

A lot of people go to New Orleans and eat cajun food. Why? Cajun, like most Mexican food you get in the US, is "peasant cuisine." Inexpensive, tasty, stick-to-your-ribs "country" cooking. It's good for what it is, but it doesn't compare to the Creole cooking of New Orleans proper.

I'm a culinary tourist, a foodie. I've eaten my way across Europe and Central America, and hope to try other places and food someday. If you know what you are looking for, and where to go, New Orleans is a world class eating city.

I've mentioned Galatoire's only because it is my personal favorite, I love the atmosphere, the service (best waiters in New Orleans, IMHO) and the food never fails to be perfect every time I go. Plus, it is right there on Bourbon, one block from Canal street, so you can't miss it!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM

245 posts, read 412,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
A lot of people go to New Orleans and eat cajun food. Why? Cajun, like most Mexican food you get in the US, is "peasant cuisine." Inexpensive, tasty, stick-to-your-ribs "country" cooking. It's good for what it is, but it doesn't compare to the Creole cooking of New Orleans proper.

I'm a culinary tourist, a foodie. I've eaten my way across Europe and Central America, and hope to try other places and food someday. If you know what you are looking for, and where to go, New Orleans is a world class eating city.
How is "Creole" cooking any less "peasant" than "Cajun"?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
Ive lived in both, Baltimore is like detroit or philly. New Orleans is one of a kind! I can tell you one thing, going from Baltimore to New Orleans, I can definatley feel the difference with the smell, Baltimore has a dirty smell, depressed feeling. NOLA feels like your breathing fresh air, and feels happy and exiting.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 PM

167 posts, read 776,427 times
Yeah, I can't even see how these two are being compared...

Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 PM

428 posts, read 712,484 times
I think people are exaggerating the differences between NOLA and B-More. I like NOLA better but the differences aren't really that great.
As an outsider. I'd say NOLA is a bit more scarier than Baltimore and I'm reasonably sure NOLA has a higher murder rate than B-More.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

428 posts, read 712,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Scarier, it's a bit scarier. If you say more scarier you sound like you never went to school, and that's not what you want, is it?
Can't say I am particularly concerned about what I look like to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or