Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 AM

226 posts, read 975,360 times

Advertisements

Are there comparisons? From pictures it does look like there is; both cities are by dirty water, run down looking, old city (100 years old or more, etc.). The mix of people is comparable to that of Baltimore, so there's gotta be some comparisons between the two: one is south, one is north east.

P.S. the Baltimore accent can be rednecky in an Urban setting (i.e. Southern meets Brooklyn, got the picture?)

I still don't get it why people "brag" about "diversity" in New Orleans when it's really chocolate city. Could it be the tourists that make NOLA appear "diverse"? I know it's not diverse...and of course NOLA has about 100-150K less people than Baltimore...

Oh and is segregation a major issue in NOLA? It's the south after all? The people on this forum that makes it sound like it's paradise down there must be living in their own segregated neighborhood. I'm trying to get to the point of this. Not meant to be offensive because it's not supposed to be. I'm coming from Chicago. I know a thing or two about segregation. I know the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area as well. I am getting ready to move out of Chicago this summer either to the South (NOLA) or Southwest (New Mexico). I have yet to decide however.

[LEFT]Races in Baltimore:
  • Black (64.3%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (31.0%)
  • Hispanic (1.7%)
  • Two or more races (1.5%)
  • American Indian (0.8%)
  • Other race (0.7%)
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Races in New Orleans:
  • Black (67.3%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (26.6%)
  • Hispanic (3.1%)
  • Vietnamese (1.5%)
  • Two or more races (1.3%)
  • Other race (0.9%)
  • American Indian (0.5%)
[/LEFT]

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
I still don't get it why people "brag" about "diversity" in New Orleans when it's really chocolate city. Could it be the tourists that make NOLA appear "diverse"? I know it's not diverse...and of course NOLA has about 100-150K less people than Baltimore...

Because those statistics leave out about 1 million people who live in this area. Also those %s don't tell you how many subgroups of Whites, Asians, Blacks, or Hispanics there are in the city. Diversity is a whole lot more than the %s of "race" that makes up the population.

Quote:
Oh and is segregation a major issue in NOLA? It's the south after all? The people on this forum that makes it sound like it's paradise down there must be living in their own segregated neighborhood. I'm trying to get to the point of this. Not meant to be offensive because it's not supposed to be. I'm coming from Chicago. I know a thing or two about segregation. I know the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area as well. I am getting ready to move out of Chicago this summer either to the South (NOLA) or Southwest (New Mexico). I have yet to decide however.
Segregation exists everywhere to an extent, but segregtion in NOLA is nothing like that of any other city in the south. People tend to be segregated by alternating blocks vs. entire sides of town and moreso based on class. You do have your suburban areas that are less diverse, but even they are more intergrated than the average southern city.
Quote:
[LEFT]Races in Baltimore:

• Black (64.3%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (31.0%)
  • Hispanic (1.7%)
  • Two or more races (1.5%)
  • American Indian (0.8%)
  • Other race (0.7%)
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Races in New Orleans:

• Black (67.3%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (26.6%)
  • Hispanic (3.1%)
  • Vietnamese (1.5%)
  • Two or more races (1.3%)
  • Other race (0.9%)
  • American Indian (0.5%)
[/LEFT]
Those statistics are for the city proper only. Also, take in consideration the NOLA's metro is wrapped tightly around NOLA vs. BMore where they sprawl out extensively. It's easier to consider Metro NOLA a closer knit entity, just like S. Florida maybe. NOLA and its suburbs are more interconnected.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,291,052 times
Those race stats for New Orleans are far out of whack, those are pre Katrina numbers.

Last I heard it was closer to 57% black, 38% white and the rest Vietnamese/Hispanic/other

Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 PM

That's what City Data has. Do they update these "statistics" often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Those race stats for New Orleans are far out of whack, those are pre Katrina numbers.

Last I heard it was closer to 57% black, 38% white and the rest Vietnamese/Hispanic/other

Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,291,052 times
No idea.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,230,017 times
I've been to Baltimore and New Orleans.

Not even in the same league regardless of statistics.

No brainer. New Orleans is far cooler and more fun.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 AM

thanks. I might take your word. I lived in the Baltimore/Washington area and have frequented Baltimore often. I'm considereing NOLA to move into. Hoepfully the jobs aren't too hard to get there. New Mexico is on my list as well to move into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post

Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,600,305 times
Quote:

absolutely

Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 PM

580 posts, read 1,415,619 times
Quote:

I agree 100%. Love New Orleans, used to live there and just got back from Carnival Wednesday. We won the Superbowl and that has been the most exciting time of my life down there to see it. I went to DC/Philly/NYC late Dec/Jan and we staying that first night in Ellicott City outside of Baltimore. We went to ESPN zone the following day at the Harbour. I did not get a New Orleans comparison at all here. Two different places.

Read some of my previous posts..... ain't nothing like New Orleans

Old 02-28-2010, 11:11 AM

4,858 posts, read 7,566,062 times
The folks who made HBO's 'The Wire', which is set in Baltimore, are making a new show set in New Orleans.

Not that that means anything about the cities being alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans