U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 04:37 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,136,828 times

Advertisements

I'm black, currently in college, and have grown disenchanted of northeastern living. I'm leaning towards somewhere down south, and am curious about black middle class life in metro New Orleans.

Would you say there's a sizable, or even moderately prevalent black middle class in the area? Are black middle class residents concentrated in one area, or more spread out?

Any other insightful comments you may have on the matter would be helpful.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:01 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,569,189 times
There used to be, before Katrina. A lot lived out in New Orleans East. I don't know what the current situation is. I would imagine they are still there but new Orleans East is definitely not what it used to be. Sorry I can't tell you more, I just wanted to answer since no one else was.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM

104 posts, read 438,814 times
Orleans Parish ("New Orleans proper") is 2/3 black. There are plenty of poor folk like in every city, but there are plenty in the middle class. neighborhoods really are divided more on economic lines than racial ones. so to answer your question, yes there is a viable black middle class, there are a few neighborhoods that are predominantly black middle class, but there is also a large degree of "spreading out," as you call it. but almost no one lives in a typical "bedroom community" here because we don't have a typical suburban landscape

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-28-2010 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: removes quoted deleted post

Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,186,622 times
There is some black middle class on the west bank. Look into Woodmere.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,067,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3 View Post
+1 !

back to OP: Orleans Parish ("New Orleans proper") is 2/3 black. There are plenty of poor folk like in every city, but there are plenty in the middle class. neighborhoods really are divided more on economic lines than racial ones. so to answer your question, yes there is a viable black middle class, there are a few neighborhoods that are predominantly black middle class, but there is also a large degree of "spreading out," as you call it. but almost no one lives in a typical "bedroom community" here because we don't have a typical suburban landscape
New Orleans is not 2/3rds black, not since Katrina.
At best its 57-58% black...38ish% white and the rest Vietnamese/Hispanic.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 PM

104 posts, read 438,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
New Orleans is not 2/3rds black, not since Katrina.
At best its 57-58% black...38ish% white and the rest Vietnamese/Hispanic.
well, I didn't make the number up; that was a common figure pre-K, and according to our host here (city-data), it's 67.3, which is where I checked before posting:

//www.city-data.com/city/New-Or...Louisiana.html

of course, I couldn't find their source, so who knows when it dates from (their gender and income data on the same page date from 2008); let's say 60% plus or minus. I assume that's Orleans alone, and don't have access to any recent demographic #s. I will say that I currently live in Algiers (NOT English Turn) and work in Gentilly, and I suspect that if you were to take a census on everything on the "north" side of Canal to the parish line it would be WELL above 58%. But it's really not worth fighting over. I'm just a little suspicious of this claim, having lived here in the 70s and 80s and now back, it seems pretty much the same, except I can ride my bike a little more slowly through some sections of town than in the old days (think Fischer, St. Thomas, St. Bernard), and of course the presence of latino culture which was essentially non-existent before
...ok, I had to keep digging, and Prytania's # of 58.8 is what a 2006 recount came up with, white at 36.8--but again that was already 4 years ago...
back to OP: just come visit, you'll find some place to call home. there are lots of young folks in town now--who knows if they'll stay, but it's a good scene. people know how to live down here, and while lots of the politics are not as progressive as you'll find in the NE, the people are alot more open and hospitable, and there's a sense of community I've rarely found elsewhere. that's why I'm back.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,573 times
So did you move?

Last edited by sweetdymon; 03-16-2010 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: SPELL

Old 03-22-2010, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 25,966 times
The Black middle class is in Gentilly,N.O East, and in parts of Algiers.I grew up in the Gentilly Woods/Pontchartain Park neighborhood and never worried about crime,murders,or crack.We are tight knit community.I'm sure the racist "Uptowners" will diasagree with me.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,186,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentillyboy View Post
The Black middle class is in Gentilly,N.O East, and in parts of Algiers.I grew up in the Gentilly Woods/Pontchartain Park neighborhood and never worried about crime,murders,or crack.We are tight knit community.I'm sure the racist "Uptowners" will diasagree with me.
You realize there are plenty of blacks uptown, too? They're racist against their own race?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 25,966 times
Yeah they live in the 3rd ward (Central City)Gertown,Hollygrove,the 10 th ward and for the most part they are impoverished areas surrounded by affluent white areas.So when I say racist "uptowners" I mean the residents of the garden district,carrolton(non hollygrove) and Audubon .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans