Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,914 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get current (2010) info on the saftey of a specific area.
Pauger St in the Marigny triangle. I have read conflicting reports and also lots of time they are talking about areas I am not sure where they are.
Does anyone know this area? My girlfriends and I are going to be staying in an apt in that area and are now becoming concerned about safety.
Help. Shoule we look for something else? We do not plan on walking around at night. At night we will take cab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,599 times
Have you ever received a response to this? I too am planning a move to the Marigny triangle, and have the same concerns. Is the neighborhood fairly safe? Does one have to worry about leaving early in the morning to get in their parked car in front of their residence to go to work? I understand that robberies tend to happen more when folks are vunerable (intoxicated or not familiar with the surrounding area), but is it pretty safe for an otherwise vigilant individual?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 AM

89 posts, read 231,198 times
Faubourg St. John victim speaks about terrifying armed robbery | wwltv.com New Orleans

Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
That's several miles away.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguilar View Post
Have you ever received a response to this? I too am planning a move to the Marigny triangle, and have the same concerns. Is the neighborhood fairly safe? Does one have to worry about leaving early in the morning to get in their parked car in front of their residence to go to work? I understand that robberies tend to happen more when folks are vunerable (intoxicated or not familiar with the surrounding area), but is it pretty safe for an otherwise vigilant individual?
The Marigny is the most heavily gentrified section of the city. I can't recall ever feeling unsafe there.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 PM

48 posts, read 80,199 times
Current crime maps I've looked at recently label the area between Frenchman and the Quarter as being really bad but everything around that being really good. Anecdotally, my friend lived in that bad area and said her neighbor was a crack dealer and she would occasionally hear gun shots. My extremely limited experience going through there on foot didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all. It just seemed like a hipster Mecca really.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:15 AM

20 posts, read 60,253 times
The Marigny has residents who care about developers such as Sean Cummings asking the city council for approval to build a condo that doesn't fit in with the architecture of the neighborhood. The height of the building he proposed was greater than allowed by historical standards. Thanks to these folks protesting his asking for zoning variances, he was denied a permit. Yaaay! I applaud folks who stand up for keeping the authenticity of the neighborhood, and the architecture which attracted them to the Marigny in the first place. Though the Marigny is pricier than the Bywater, residents also must have paid parking permits to park their cars in front of their houses, which the Bywater does not. The Marigny is within walking distance to the French Quarter, and is also away from some of the noise of the bars that stay open all night, if you're far enough away from Frenchmen St.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
Huh?

If the Marigny triangle isn't safe, you couldn't prove it by me. I live on Esplanade between the Marigny and the FQ and the crime maps in my area are insane with property crime. I walk around all the time, at night, by myself and sometimes after drinking too much and as a lone, normal sized female, I have never had an issue. At all. AT ALL.

All these anecdotes about crack dealers and gun shots should be taken with a grain of salt. (Crack dealer? How does know its crack? Did she interview the person?) Seriously, sometimes I think people *want* to sensationalize crime to let everyone know that they are survivors of a rough neighborhood because they want to impress their friends with their urban sophistication. Marigny Triangle is costly, gentrified, full of professional hipsters and tourists. Hell, they even do carriage rides through the Marigny now. Gimme a break.

I have said it before-- ALL cities have crime. Suburbs are a viable option for those who can't deal with this fact.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:10 PM

48 posts, read 80,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
All these anecdotes about crack dealers and gun shots should be taken with a grain of salt. (Crack dealer? How does know its crack? Did she interview the person?) Seriously, sometimes I think people *want* to sensationalize crime to let everyone know that they are survivors of a rough neighborhood because they want to impress their friends with their urban sophistication. Marigny Triangle is costly, gentrified, full of professional hipsters and tourists. Hell, they even do carriage rides through the Marigny now. Gimme a break.
Knowing my friend, she probably did have a number of conversations with her neighbor. She's a talker and doesn't have many reservations about interacting with people with significantly different backgrounds. Also, one site (that I can't link to here) still has the area I mentioned listed as being as high in crime as the worst parts of Central City. I don't know if that's violent or not but it's supposedly, from the data, just as bad. Also, in just the last 6 months there were three homicides a few blocks north of St Claude so it's perfectly possible that she really has heard gun shots there (guns are loud).

But like I said, I felt fine going through that area, too. I also agree that people like to play up their street cred in the way you've mentioned. So maybe there's a middle ground. Perhaps the crime there really is very bad but is mostly relegated to people from particular walks of life or maybe to particular types of crimes that wouldn't effect most people. I don't know but I wouldn't feel particularly worried about living there in any case.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:38 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisanonymous View Post
Knowing my friend, she probably did have a number of conversations with her neighbor. She's a talker and doesn't have many reservations about interacting with people with significantly different backgrounds..

Wait-- lemme guess-- dude was BLACK. So he probably flat out said "hey baby, Im a crack dealer." Because he is just open like that. Or because he black, he AUTOMATICALLY sellin rock. Not pot. Not heroin. Only crack. The cops never ever bust a black man who may be sellin drugs. Oh no. Especially not in NOLa

You givin yourself away with these "significantly different" comments.

As for the the OP, Marginy is fine. If you hear imaginary crack dealers hocking their wares, it may be because you spendin too much time talkin to this guy and his oh so liberal that she comfortable with "significantly different" people girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans