U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 01:11 AM

530 posts, read 1,083,535 times

Advertisements

Live in the warehouse district. I use to live on Julia Street in the Gallery Row apartments. One company owns all the apartments on Julia Street.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM

44 posts, read 117,198 times
When I first moved down here, I lived in the Quarter, on Esplanade Ave. and I loved it. It really depends on your temperament. I loved the smells and sounds and the funkiness of the place. The only drawback was parking. It is hard to find a spot and you have to move your car around to accommodate parking restrictions. The meter maids are brutal--they'll tow your car for being 1/4 inch too close to a loading zone or corner. It will be far too hot to walk to work from the Quarter in summer and the trolley is unairconditioned and slow. Now, the Warehouse District is close to Lafayette Square and those apartments usually have parking lots--close enough to the Quarter to walk there for dinner, but a bit antiseptic for my taste [I lived on Julia Street]. If you like antebellum architecture, the Lower Garden District, especially around Coliseum Square is really beautiful and atmospheric. I lived on Terpsichore. Go to Halpern Furniture store on St. Charles and ask if they have any rentals [Halpern owns a number of Greek Revival houses in the area]. I now own a house in the Garden District, which I love, but which would have been a bit staid for me in my younger years. I wanted the whole romance of NOLA and I was never disappointed. Whatever you do, forget the suburbs. As an expatriate New Yorker, believe me--you don't want to move all the way to New Orleans to live in a suburb, not while you are young and unmarried and childless. For me, that defeats the point. NOLA is a unique, cultural dynamo and you'll want to be a part of that. Just--be safe. As a whole, the city is very integrated [one of the things I love about it], but some areas are very dicey, but a bit enigmatic, such as the Irish Channel, a beautiful neighborhood, but one that has a higher incidence of theft. If you keep between Magazine and St. Charles Ave. for Uptown, and Rampart/Esplanade for the Quarter, you should be ok.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,218 times
Talking Try the Irish Channel

This is the area right off Magazine Street Uptown. It is very trendy and has lots of cool restaurants and bars--different from the quarter, but easier to navigate and safer than most places.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:01 PM

44 posts, read 117,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaRozes View Post
This is the area right off Magazine Street Uptown. It is very trendy and has lots of cool restaurants and bars--different from the quarter, but easier to navigate and safer than most places.
I'd just like to add that the Irish Channel is safe along Constance and Laurel from Jackson to Louisiana, but if you head further in toward the river, you'll find some mixed areas where there are gang problems and drugs and theft. Constance is just one block from Magazine and Mag is terrific. You can never exhaust it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans