U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 AM

207 posts, read 493,458 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've applied to teach in several states, Virginia, Louisiana, Florida and one district, DC of course.

While DC is my absolute first choice, New Orleans is my second and Florida is my third.

I would love to know more about New Orleans post Katrina. Not being from the area, of course I've only heard news stories that I am positive is slanted. Being from a city PLAGUED by drama, I know how the media can be.

So, what should I know?? Best areas, transportation, fun things to do, high crime rates?? Low crime rates?? Bug, slugs and thugs?? LOL! Whatever you want to tell me, I'd love to know.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,639,665 times
Best areas are relative. There are people who will swear by Uptown and others who will swear that it's Gentilly, and others who will swear it's the Marigny and so on. What kind of area would you be looking for, trendy, near a park, near shoping, near the Quarter, an older neighborhood?

Transportation: There is the RTA, (bus), but pretty much at some point you will want for a car.

Fun things to do: No lack of that here. There is always a parade, a festival, music, art, theater, or some other event going on.

Crime rates: Murder rate is high, but unless you are involved in drug dealing, you are fine. The other stuff is kind of average imho. It depends on the neighborhood as to the likelyhood that you will be robbed. The crime here has been over exaggerated in the media if you are like the rest of us, just an average bear, you'll be fine.

Bugs: Oh yes! Better get working on dealing with large flying roaches.
Slugs: Uh huh! Salt and beer on the patio.
Thugs: Yep! Listen to what your mama told you and don't hang out with em!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 PM

7,495 posts, read 8,161,115 times
Moving from Detroit to New Orleans, sounds like your jumping outta the fire and into the frying pan. Detroit and NO have to be some of the most dangerous, crime ridden cities in North America. Both cities are largely in ruins anyway.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,582,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Moving from Detroit to New Orleans, sounds like your jumping outta the fire and into the frying pan. Detroit and NO have to be some of the most dangerous, crime ridden cities in North America. Both cities are largely in ruins anyway.
I strongly disagree with this view of New Orleans. It is NOT in ruins; I've never been to Detroit so I won't comment on it. New Orleans is still a lovely place to visit and somewhat safer than it used to be. Lots of new folks moving in to help bring her back to her former glory.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I strongly disagree with this view of New Orleans. It is NOT in ruins; I've never been to Detroit so I won't comment on it. New Orleans is still a lovely place to visit and somewhat safer than it used to be. Lots of new folks moving in to help bring her back to her former glory.

The French Quarter is in good shape, and money is spent to keep that area nice. The area in ruins I am talking about is places like the lower 9th ward. It is my understanding that whole sections of the city are almost deserted, flooded houses were never torn down. I know someone who saw those areas just last year. Maybe more has been repaired or torn down since then, but my understanding is that yes there are large areas of ruin still. NO also has a horrible crime problem just like Detroit. And as far as Detroit goes, yes MUCH of that city is a ruin. You can google the ruins of Detroit and there are videos of it. It is shocking, looks like a war zone. Worse yet, you cannot blame nature for it like you can in NO. People destroyed Detroit, or as we call it in Michigan Detoilet. At least No has hope if it can permanently resolve the flooding and hurricane issue by building a better stronger flood control system. People still want to visit NO, but poor Detroit has no hope. It is literaly part of the third world in the heart of North America.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:03 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,068,048 times
You dont know what you are talking about.

I'm doing some survey work for a City Councilmember and I was all over Central City today (where there is a boom of new construction). Uptown, The Quarter, Lakeview, Marigny and the Bywater are largely in good shape..Mid-City's doing good, as is Esplanade Ridge.

The chef at Sucre, Tariq Hanna is from Detroit...and his wife told me there is no hope there. In New Orleans we have a mini building boom, tech startups line Camp St. in the CBD and optimism rules as much as it can in America during the recession.

The Lower 9 has been mostly cleared...and that's only one smaller part of the city on the other side of the Industrial Canal along with St. Bernard. Most of those people didn't come back and won't...they are too poor or don't want to. Plus its not an area most people see unless you live in St. Bernard and you are driving into the city.

Enough with the bashing New Orleans when you haven't even been here to see it. Geez.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:41 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,409,400 times
Quote:
...and money is spent to keep that area nice. The area in ruins I am talking about is places like the lower 9th ward. It is my understanding that whole sections of the city are almost deserted, flooded houses were never torn down. I know someone who saw those areas just last year. ... but my understanding is that yes there are large areas of ruin still. NO also has a horrible crime problem just like Detroit. ...No has hope if it can permanently resolve the flooding and hurricane issue by building a better stronger flood control system.
Obviously, you have no idea what you're talking about and whoever "saw" and led you to "understand" lied.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
You dont know what you are talking about.

I'm doing some survey work for a City Councilmember and I was all over Central City today (where there is a boom of new construction). Uptown, The Quarter, Lakeview, Marigny and the Bywater are largely in good shape..Mid-City's doing good, as is Esplanade Ridge.

The chef at Sucre, Tariq Hanna is from Detroit...and his wife told me there is no hope there. In New Orleans we have a mini building boom, tech startups line Camp St. in the CBD and optimism rules as much as it can in America during the recession.

The Lower 9 has been mostly cleared...and that's only one smaller part of the city on the other side of the Industrial Canal along with St. Bernard. Most of those people didn't come back and won't...they are too poor or don't want to. Plus its not an area most people see unless you live in St. Bernard and you are driving into the city.

Enough with the bashing New Orleans when you haven't even been here to see it. Geez.

Go to the Detroit forums, and you will see people claim that city is in ruins and infested with crime. Anyone with a brain and two eyes can see that those claims are true. Detroit is half abandoned, filled with crime and hopelessness. You will also see posts just like yours defending the city, claiming that the poster does not know what they are talking about. Many people hate reality, dont want to see reality so they make up a new truth. If you want to believe NO is a great town, then go ahead and believe it. Oh and I have been to NO before, I was there befroe the hurricane and I found some really scary run down places then. I can only imagine how bad it is now.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,409,400 times
Quote:
Many people hate reality, dont want to see reality so they make up a new truth. If you want to believe NO is a great town, then go ahead and believe it. Oh and I have been to NO before, I was there befroe the hurricane and I found some really scary run down places then. I can only imagine how bad it is now.
...and reality is, New Orleans and Detroit have the same problems as any other city in this country. The only difference is the fact that they are exposed and not pushed under a rug, Detroit even more so right now.
You having been here means nothing. Safety is suggestive and just because something looked scary to you doesn't mean it was. You could've just not known any better.

The problem with many cities in this country is that they are so spread out or so suburbanized that peope can easily avoid the problems or not even know that they exist. I don't know how Detroit was allowed to fall into its current state, I've never been there, but when I read stories/articles about it suburbs and surrounding MI towns; I can only imagine.

Truth is, the people who live in these "problem" cities are wall aware of REALITY since they live it daily. It's those on the outside looking in from the outside that always have something to say (usually BS) and fear what they don't know, while the live with a false sense of security about there own town.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:15 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,582,620 times
Quote:
............... I can only imagine how bad it is now.
Jeeze louise, quit imagining and talking as if you actually know something. I don't live there but visit and I can tell you that it is not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or