U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 11:22 PM

11 posts, read 24,676 times

Advertisements

A while back, I wrote on here and several people gave me neighborhood suggestions. Now I need to find an apartment. My budget has changed a bit. I have been looking on Craigslist. I have been looking at having roommates to cut costs or subletting until I can find my own place. Only one person from Craigslist has gotten back to me. How do the locals find apartments? I have also looked apartment websites, but I have not really heard too many good things about apartment complexes in NO. Thanks for any advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 PM

19,867 posts, read 59,169,758 times
People who have an apt. in their house frequently don't advertise. You have to drive around neighborhoods you like and look for the signs, then call the number.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 PM

SouthernBelleInUtah - Thanks for responding. That is tough since I am from out of town! Any suggestions? I am planning on going down and looking for a place, but am worried I won't find a place and need to find something quick.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 AM

7,087 posts, read 13,509,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archivist View Post
SouthernBelleInUtah - Thanks for responding. That is tough since I am from out of town! Any suggestions? I am planning on going down and looking for a place, but am worried I won't find a place and need to find something quick.
I suppose you could always cheat and call a real estate agent. Probably one or two in the yellow pages.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM

19,867 posts, read 59,169,758 times
Yeah, you may have to call a real estate firm and ask who does rentals. Complexes always advertise but small property owners don't. My son used to have an apt in his house and he never advertised. You just get tired of people calling who have no idea where the place is, who have a million questions and then hang up, or people just "looking." The duplex next to him is never advertised either, just a sign out front. That place (not very new) is in a good location in Old Metairie and rents for about $1K-$1.2K/mo. Send me a DM if you want the address.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yeah, you may have to call a real estate firm and ask who does rentals. Complexes always advertise but small property owners don't. My son used to have an apt in his house and he never advertised. You just get tired of people calling who have no idea where the place is, who have a million questions and then hang up, or people just "looking." The duplex next to him is never advertised either, just a sign out front. That place (not very new) is in a good location in Old Metairie and rents for about $1K-$1.2K/mo. Send me a DM if you want the address.
Thanks, but I can afford an agent. I have found a few places online to start with and then I will just go down and drive around. I only live 8 hours away and was going to go down anyway, just thought I would have a better idea of what I would be looking at.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:16 PM

515 posts, read 648,459 times
I suggest calling a local realtor (Gertrude Gardner is just one) and asking which one specializes in rentals. There used to be 3 or 4 rental only agencies around and and they didn't charge the renter...they charged the apt owners because the agencies did the screening, showing and the paperwork for the lease.

Failing that, go to nola dot com, click interactive, click forums, click business forum and ask your question there. You will have to register; it's free.

Third choice would be to check the rentals in the Times Picayune...locals are more likely to advertise there than on Craig list,

Lotsa luck!

Old 03-20-2010, 09:46 AM

194 posts, read 498,328 times
We just signed a lease yesterday for a great place in Broadmoor (Uptown). We found it on Craigslist, I called and talked to the owner and she seemed great. I also lined up a couple of other places to look at, and we made the 8-hour drive from Atlanta. Luckily our first choice was the one we ended up getting. It's only a six month lease because the owner is moving back home in October, but it will be so much easier to find our next place now that we'll actually be in the city.

Btw, you don't have to pay a real estate agent/management company to help you find a rental. They get paid by the property owners. Here are some to check out: http://tiny.cc/LatterBlum , _ http://tiny.cc/S5PJ8 , _ http://tiny.cc/KellerWllms . Also, look up 1818 Prytania on Craigslist - it's a small complex that we were planning to look at yesterday, but ended up not needing to.

I would also suggest calling rather than e-mailing whenever possible. I got faster responses that way.

Hope this helps,
Val

Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone! I am rethinking my ideas. I might go and live in an extended stay hotel so that way I can find the area I really want to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or