Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM

307 posts, read 802,898 times

Advertisements

First, let me say hello to everyone, this is my first time posting on this wonderful site.

I could possibly be moving to NOLA in the next month or so. I am looking for a place for a young couple. I'd like to know what some nice areas to live are? I'd be working in Westwego, so I'd like something within decent commuting distance (30 minutes or so). I've heard the Uptown area is nice, although I've read that crossing the bridge could add a while to commuting. Also, I've read that it's pricey. What exactly does that mean? Doctor pricey or unskilled worker pricey? Is it a 50-100K family income neighborhood, or more like a 150+? (I'm sorry if that question is too detailed, I'm just trying to be clear).

Any info on the Garden District? Looks nice. Pricey?

Last edited by lmcintyre1s; 03-24-2010 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:02 PM

104 posts, read 476,523 times
tough call. uptown and the Garden District and most of the area span the spectrum. in a matter of miles or even blocks it can go from Doctor pricey to welfare city. there's no right answer to your question though I would probably not live in Westwego proper. you can find some places further out on the Westbank (that's what the Westwego side of the bridge is called), or Algiers, or face the bridge daily. when traffic is light, it's an easy trip, but (like everywhere in the city), one accident or breakdown turns a 15 minute drive into 30-40. I would check out Algiers Point first, but then again, we know nothing of your urban survival skills or other wants (do you want suburban or city life? country? christian or hedonistic? malls or boutiques?) etc.

search the archives of discussions. the single most asked question is where to live and there are tons of answers.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 PM

128 posts, read 298,321 times
Default garden district

There are some very pricey areas in Uptown/ Garden District, but some more affordable areas. You can find a one bedroom to rent for as low as $600-$650 a month and up. In the garden district stay between st. charles and magazine and you should be pretty good. Some decent areas on the West bank like Algiers and Gretna. Cheaper, not nearly as pretty.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 AM

42 posts, read 161,401 times
Hi, This also is my first time posting even though I joined this very helpful site 2 yrs ago when I, too, was planning my move to New Orleans.

I've lived Uptown near Tulane University and in the Lakefront. Uptown is a patchwork of contrasts. It's possible to simultaneously admire and abhor its age, density, and diversity. The Lakefront is basically newer suburban: mostly bland, but no unpleasant surprises. Both areas would be a grinding trek to and from Westwego.

I've visited Algiers -- Algiers Point, to be precise, the more historic area -- and found it quite like the nice parts of Uptown, albeit much smaller in breadth. Some older neighborhoods in Gretna also have their charms. However, although it's on the same side of the river, Westwego is not necessarily an easy commute from either of those areas.

You might consider River Ridge, which is on the east bank of the river, but a shorter commute across the Huey P. Long Bridge to Westwego. I have friends who live there and it's a safe family enclave with tidy and pretty streets and very convenient access to suburban shopping and the city. On Trulia.com the price range on houses-for-sale in River Ridge (first page) runs from $149K to $699K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans