Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:58 PM

18 posts, read 61,893 times

Advertisements

Before answering this question, realize that my husband and I currently live a 4.5-hour total flight (one stop) apart, and that as a result: (1) we see each other only two weekends a month; (2) we are paying for a home for me in one state and an apartment for him in another state, two sets of utilities per month, two almost-$400 flights per month, two weekends of airport parking garage fees per month, and two weekends of dog boarding fees per month; and that (3) I am working in the midwest and am absolutely miserable and need to get back to my beloved New Orleans or at least Houston before I go postal due to the frozen weather and more frozen personalities up here.

Given this, my dear hubby has a firm job opportunity in NOLA and I have a job opportunity in Baton Rouge I would only need to drive from NOLA to BR three days a week. The other two days I can work from home in NOLA. The hubby has a more regular job and has to work five days a week in NOLA.

The question: Has anyone ever done this commute (NOLA to BR) before? Do you feel like killing yourself at the end of the week? By Monday at 10:00 a.m.? Or, given what I've said above, would you agree that it is CERTAINLY not optimal but so much better than what we're currently doing and that we should go ahead and give it a shot.

Thanks in advance,
Frozen in the Midwest and Missing My Husband
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,587,238 times
I say give it a shot! When my daughter was at LSU, I drove up to see her and had it down to 75 min door-to-door. Of course, I lived in Metairie and had an interchange for I-10 near me. I think it would work for you, at least being cheaper!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 PM

806 posts, read 2,950,098 times
Let me put it this way.. in college, I had it down to one hour. Yes, this is from LSU to downtown NOLA (Hornets game)

It would be a heart attack now though.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:05 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,291,052 times
As long as you arent doing it every day it should be doable (minus gas price increases)

Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,701,352 times
Only as a short term solution. Even three times a week it will quickly get old.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,443,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricStacey View Post
Before answering this question, realize that my husband and I currently live a 4.5-hour total flight (one stop) apart, and that as a result: (1) we see each other only two weekends a month; (2) we are paying for a home for me in one state and an apartment for him in another state, two sets of utilities per month, two almost-$400 flights per month, two weekends of airport parking garage fees per month, and two weekends of dog boarding fees per month; and that (3) I am working in the midwest and am absolutely miserable and need to get back to my beloved New Orleans or at least Houston before I go postal due to the frozen weather and more frozen personalities up here.

Given this, my dear hubby has a firm job opportunity in NOLA and I have a job opportunity in Baton Rouge I would only need to drive from NOLA to BR three days a week. The other two days I can work from home in NOLA. The hubby has a more regular job and has to work five days a week in NOLA.

The question: Has anyone ever done this commute (NOLA to BR) before? Do you feel like killing yourself at the end of the week? By Monday at 10:00 a.m.? Or, given what I've said above, would you agree that it is CERTAINLY not optimal but so much better than what we're currently doing and that we should go ahead and give it a shot.

Thanks in advance,
Frozen in the Midwest and Missing My Husband
How about as a "half way point" living in the Pelican Point subdivision ? It's just south of Gonzales on LA 44.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM

794 posts, read 3,343,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
How about as a "half way point" living in the Pelican Point subdivision ? It's just south of Gonzales on LA 44.
Good suggestion.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Oooh. Good idea. Can't wait to look up this half way point. As always, thanks so much.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,443,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricStacey View Post
Oooh. Good idea. Can't wait to look up this half way point. As always, thanks so much.
This link is about the golf course itself.

This link has miscellaneous info.

To get to Pelican Point, go to the Hwy 44 exit south of Gonzales and go towards the Miss River. Pelican Point is a few miles away.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM

A-ha. BRMan, you're a genius. There are lots of homes in our price range right near/on the golf course too, and the husband is married to golf (oops, I mean me). This is a perfect idea. Thanks as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans