U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:06 AM

8,256 posts, read 15,008,924 times

Advertisements

I want to go to New Orleans this summer and i have heard that some parts are built up. Is that true? Besides residential areas, are any of the tourist areas still in ruins or would I be able to enjoy mysfelf.

I have never been to New Orleans before and I want to have fun, but it is it even close to as fun as it was before Katrina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 AM

369 posts, read 1,529,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I want to go to New Orleans this summer and i have heard that some parts are built up. Is that true? Besides residential areas, are any of the tourist areas still in ruins or would I be able to enjoy mysfelf.

I have never been to New Orleans before and I want to have fun, but it is it even close to as fun as it was before Katrina?
Pretty much all of the tourist attractions are back up and running. Bourbon Street never even closed all the way down (2 bars remained opened), even during the height of the storm lol. buses are running, and the streetcars are rolling. The airport is at about 75% it's pre-Katrina capacity. Art museum, Aquarium, Zoo, D day museum, all opened. The only major attraction that is still closed is six-flags. about 90% of pre-Katrina hotel rooms up and running, even more restaurants than before the storm. Katrina is pretty much just a memory for the touristy areas of town.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:26 AM

505 posts, read 2,002,186 times
Default are you kidding?

Tourism is the main economy there. It's up and running very well. Go, play, eat and sight see. Be sure to take in one of the many "Katrina tours" to see first hand the scope of what still needs to be done. You can totally avoid that if you want though.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 AM

45,269 posts, read 91,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Tourism is the main economy there. It's up and running very well. Go, play, eat and sight see. Be sure to take in one of the many "Katrina tours" to see first hand the scope of what still needs to be done. You can totally avoid that if you want though.
The French Quarter has never looked better, or cleaner! Please go see for yourself - you'll eat some of the best food you've ever had in your life!!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM

8,256 posts, read 15,008,924 times
so are the bad areas only the residential areas. like, are the tourist and downtown and all that stuff back up, just not residential areas?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:18 AM

45,269 posts, read 91,210,262 times
Quote:
so are the bad areas only the residential areas. like, are the tourist and downtown and all that stuff back up, just not residential areas?
I wouldn't say the downtown is all "back up" and running, no. Many businesses will never return and have in fact set up shop across the lake in safer areas. And many residental areas aren't even being worked on yet, especially in the 9th ward. But, the things tourists like to do are all pretty much available. Plan to see the zoo, the French Quarter and all its great shops or restaurants, take a ride on the ferry just to cross the river and see it up close and personal, go to the aquarium, maybe even take a swamp tour. There would be plenty for you to do.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 PM

369 posts, read 1,529,096 times
Quote:
No no, not all the residential areas are bad, pretty much just mid city and central city. Gentilly is not the greatest, but I would feel safe there.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 PM

4,100 posts, read 7,559,305 times
Basically everything the vast majority of tourists go there to see and experience is still there, and back up and running. The French Quarter, Garden District, Magazine Street, the Marigny, and the CBD are back to normal for the most part.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,642,695 times
Quote:
The Quarter is just as safe for a tourist as in any other tourist area in other US cities. I'm a little, not even five foot tall, woman who goes (about once a week) to the Quarter alone and have not had any problems since, well, for about 40 years now.

I would advise you to stay in the more populated areas, stick with your traveling companions, and if you are going to get inebriated make sure you have reliable drinking budies, I can't tell you how many times I've seen some poor 20 something left on a door step, bench, stool, etc. by his/her "friends". Basically the same rules for anyone who travels to another city for a visit.

Please come and visit NOLA; we would love to have you!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 AM

76 posts, read 483,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
No no, not all the residential areas are bad, pretty much just mid city and central city. Gentilly is not the greatest, but I would feel safe there.
It is unfair to characterize all of Mid-City as unsafe. The part of Mid-City that is north of Canal and west of Jeff Davis is fine. It gets worse as you move toward Broad and Tulane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or