U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:37 PM

4,313 posts, read 4,213,720 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine was transferred to Slidell for about a year. He's never been there before and is totally unfamiliar with the area. He's driving from St Louis this weekend to set up his apartment. What can you tell me about the city? Is it a nice place? Does it have an interesting culture? Are things to do?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 PM

67 posts, read 164,383 times
There are lots of things to do within driving distance of an hour or so. Slidell has a little historic area with nice old homes and antique shops. There are many scenic waterways nearby. Your friend will have to do a little research but not much. I could find probably ten things to do in an hour near Slidell.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 AM

What ARE ten things to do in the Slidell area? That's exactly what I want to know!

Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 PM

21 posts, read 87,121 times
I don't post here a lot, but I'm in a similar boat as your friend...Did your friend live IN Saint Louis or in the burbs? If he was in the city, it will be an adjustment, if he was from the burbs, probably be similar to where he is coming from. With that said, Slidell is suburban in nature, not very walkable other than about 10sq blocks that constitute old town, no form of reliable public transit...bars(which unlike NOLA close at 2), antique shops, and a couple of small restaurants, outside of that area it could be any-town, USA. major shopping consists mostly of big box chain type stores, restaurants are mostly chains. I'm a single guy in my mid 20s and while I find it tolerable, and convenient to work it does get a bit boring. On the plus side, I do understand why it appeals to some...it is very family friendly, schools are decent, the best thing about it for me is that New Orleans is only a 20-30 minute drive across the lake, and I don't know anyone who would describe that place as boring.
As far as some things to do IN Slidell:
The local waterways: ( Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Catherine, Pearl River, etc.) for fishing, boating, swamp tour etc. The Tammany Trace: the local rails to trails which has one of its trail heads near the mall and runs from there to downtown Covington for biking, walking, etc. Skydive New Orleans is based out of the Slidell airport, Old town nightlife, The harbor center near the lake hosts things like gun and knife shows, etc. The occasional parade.
I couldn't really come up with 10, but I do spend the majority of my free time in New Orleans, or one of the more interesting places in the area

Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 AM

67 posts, read 164,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
What ARE ten things to do in the Slidell area? That's exactly what I want to know!
Go to the beach on the MS coast.

Go antiquing in Slidell.

Go to the quarter. (N.O.)

Go to City Park. (N.O.)

Go to the lakefront. (N.O.)

Get a boat and cruise around Bayou Liberty.

Go fishing anywhere.

Go to a farmer's market.

Go out to eat somewhere fabulous.

Check out the nature trails in Mandeville at Boy Scout Road.

Bike the Tammany Trace.

Go to the Audubon Zoo or Aquarium.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 AM

104 posts, read 459,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Fury View Post
Go to the beach on the MS coast.

Go antiquing in Slidell.

Go to the quarter. (N.O.)

Go to City Park. (N.O.)

Go to the lakefront. (N.O.)

Get a boat and cruise around Bayou Liberty.

Go fishing anywhere.

Go to a farmer's market.

Go out to eat somewhere fabulous.

Check out the nature trails in Mandeville at Boy Scout Road.

Bike the Tammany Trace.

Go to the Audubon Zoo or Aquarium.
good list. don't have my paper handy, but there are tons of festivals in LA--plus Jazz Fest in NO coming soon, French Quarter Fest next week.
Slidell is its own little town, but for all intents and purposes, its part of the New Orleans metro area. if you don't travel during rush hour, it's all of half an hour to get to 100 interesting places and things to do. that's "in the city" by most urban standards these days.
jnola's post is spot on too.

and one person's thing isn't another. "go watch the sun set on the lake" wasn't mentioned.

if he's moving this weekend, he absolutely should not miss French Quarter Festival next weekend or the Jazz Festival (always the last weekend of April and first weekend of May)--and don't be scared by the moniker of jazz--it's "jazz and heritage"--this year will feature Simon and Garfunkel (!), Pearl Jam, Elvis Costello, Cowboy Mouth, Aretha Franklin, Van Morrison, Jeff Beck, BB King, the Allman Brothers. Plus all the good jazz, blues, cajun, and the not to be missed Gospel Tent--and you can eat alligator on a stick or hundreds of other good things in the most unusual outdoor food court you've never seen. so, yeah, it's cool.

here are a couple links:
Louisiana Festivals | News, Schedules and guides - NOLA.com

the crawfish festival (which includes music, as all festivals usually do) is in Chalmette this weekend, that's close to Slidell:
Louisiana Crawfish Festival: March 25-28 | WWOZ 90.7 FM

jazz fest site:
New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival | April 23 - May 2, 2010

Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks-- I'm passing all of your suggestions to my friend.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 PM

11 posts, read 29,477 times
I'd pretty much rule out the MS beaches. I lived on the MS coast for 3 years and rarely saw anyone get in the water of the MS sound. The water is still due to the barrier islands and there are frequent bacteria warnings. I haven't been back since Katrina, but I doubt that the MS beaches are any better since then.

If you want nice beaches continue on to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, AL.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,438,458 times
This thread was started before the BP oil spill. Check conditions of beaches before going, don't trust national media, ask locally.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:18 PM

2,664 posts, read 6,519,339 times
What is there to do in Slidell? Drive to New Orleans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans