U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 AM

269 posts, read 739,513 times

Advertisements

loved it. I wasn't really expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. I found the city to be a lot better than what I pictured it to be. The architecture reminded me of Charleston, SC but New Orleans offers a lot more flavor, culture, and flair.

Some things I noticed while exploring the city (good and bad):
  • The food there is great. Oh, and Popeye's is the real deal there! The Popeye's restaurants in New Orleans make the ones I've been to taste like they're serving microwave dinners. I was amazed at the difference.
  • Race relations seemed to be pretty good. I didn't sense a whole lot of tension between blacks and whites and there were a few areas that seemed fairly integrated. Given New Orleans' homicide rate, I would think of New Orleans to be a very segregated city polluted with racial tension (like Cincinnati).
  • The city was more diverse than what I was expecting, and there were beautiful women from a variety of backgrounds. I also noticed there didn't seem to be a surplus of morbidly obese people, which surprised me. I would think with all the good food you guys have, a lot of the people would be overweight.
  • The residents take great pride in their city. They're proud to live in New Orleans and it shows. Everyone seems happy and energetic. In Cincinnati, a lot of the natives don't seem proud of their city and no one seems to take great pride in living here. A lot of the older natives like to talk about the "good ole days." How things used to be when they factories when bustling.
  • I loved how there is swamp land everywhere. Driving across I-10 is a beautiful and scenic drive.
  • The roads are terrible. Even some of the roads on the interstates are in bad shape, and I think the roads in New Orleans can truly give Detroit a run for their money.
  • I found the drivers fairly rude. I noticed a lot of blaring of horns, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, etc. (the taxi drivers were the worst)
  • Saints paraphernalia everywhere. (Congrats too)
  • Back on relations but I noticed some black guys with dreadlocks, who some would say were dressed as sterotypical thugs were conversing on the streets and at crosswalks with white men and white collar workers. This is something you would probably rarely see in Cinci. They'll detour to the nearest side street or pretend to talk or text someone on their phone. Frankly, a lot of whites in Cincinnati seem afraid of blacks.
  • There was an inexplicable feeling I had when driving through some of the abandoned parts of the city. Riding through some of the neighborhoods directly beside I-10 (New Orleans East i think) and seeing the boarded up homes and water markers halfway up the side of the houses made a lump form in my throat, and I'm not an emotional guy by any means. It made me think of the many people who lost their lives and all the families who lost all material possessions.
  • The hot weather. It was only March but it felt a little muggy. I can only imagine the summer.
  • The city feels bigger and is a lot more dense than what I thought it would be. I'm trying to figure out why the population density is so low on C-D.
  • LSU pride.
  • I love how some of the people have a New York and southern accent blended into one. Hearing some of the females speak was a turn on.
I know I'm forgetting some things but I'll end my list here since it's getting a little lengthy. I love New Orleans and I'll definitely be visiting again in the near future. If it weren't for the hot climate and bugs, I would consider relocating there. I'm one of those weirdos who isn't a big fan of hot weather so I'll stay put for now and just visit.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM

42 posts, read 105,815 times
I think you hit the nail right on the head. There is a huge stereotype in this country concerning New Orleans. If more people got over their fears and gave this beautiful city a visit, there would be alot more posts like yours. Thanks for visiting La.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:13 PM

17 posts, read 32,417 times
Default Please come back soon!

Thanks for the nice post! My husband and I are an interracial couple in New Orleans. It's basically a non-issue-- most people here have some mixed ancestry somewhere.

My take on the race relation issue is that institutional racism and race conflict do happen, largely because there are large power bases that are sometimes in conflict. Personally, I feel that some conflict is better than just ignoring each other and living apart. But 1:1, people are almost always very friendly with each other. We have good friends of many races and economic situations and I'm so glad for that.

My only wish is that more schools would be better integrated. That's frustrating...

Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,468,840 times
Population density appears to be low statistically because the city limits of New Orleans encompass all of Orleans Parish, much of which (maybe half) is water and uninhabited wetlands.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 PM

104 posts, read 459,551 times
the bad drivers are all the transplants from out of the area!
that's probably only half true, but I do have a sense of "before and after," having been away for a long time and now back. then again, I kinda blame NASCAR--too many people watching it and thinking that's the norm (and unaware of what safe stopping distance is). anyway, nice post.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 PM

269 posts, read 739,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Population density appears to be low statistically because the city limits of New Orleans encompass all of Orleans Parish, much of which (maybe half) is water and uninhabited wetlands.
I was thinking that; wasn't sure though...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:13 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,146,012 times
People who get their impression of New Orleans from a television don't have the same perspective as those who get to witness New Orleans first hand.

Congrats. You are now an honorary Yat.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 AM

63 posts, read 186,435 times
Couldnt of said it better myself!!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:43 AM

226 posts, read 946,092 times
those beautiful women from different backgrounds that you speak of could be a tourist as well? Ever thought of that? Any "touristy" city spots will have beautiful women from different backgrounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
loved it. I wasn't really expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. I found the city to be a lot better than what I pictured it to be. The architecture reminded me of Charleston, SC but New Orleans offers a lot more flavor, culture, and flair.

Some things I noticed while exploring the city (good and bad):
  • The food there is great. Oh, and Popeye's is the real deal there! The Popeye's restaurants in New Orleans make the ones I've been to taste like they're serving microwave dinners. I was amazed at the difference.
  • Race relations seemed to be pretty good. I didn't sense a whole lot of tension between blacks and whites and there were a few areas that seemed fairly integrated. Given New Orleans' homicide rate, I would think of New Orleans to be a very segregated city polluted with racial tension (like Cincinnati).
  • The city was more diverse than what I was expecting, and there were beautiful women from a variety of backgrounds. I also noticed there didn't seem to be a surplus of morbidly obese people, which surprised me. I would think with all the good food you guys have, a lot of the people would be overweight.
  • The residents take great pride in their city. They're proud to live in New Orleans and it shows. Everyone seems happy and energetic. In Cincinnati, a lot of the natives don't seem proud of their city and no one seems to take great pride in living here. A lot of the older natives like to talk about the "good ole days." How things used to be when they factories when bustling.
  • I loved how there is swamp land everywhere. Driving across I-10 is a beautiful and scenic drive.
  • The roads are terrible. Even some of the roads on the interstates are in bad shape, and I think the roads in New Orleans can truly give Detroit a run for their money.
  • I found the drivers fairly rude. I noticed a lot of blaring of horns, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, etc. (the taxi drivers were the worst)
  • Saints paraphernalia everywhere. (Congrats too)
  • Back on relations but I noticed some black guys with dreadlocks, who some would say were dressed as sterotypical thugs were conversing on the streets and at crosswalks with white men and white collar workers. This is something you would probably rarely see in Cinci. They'll detour to the nearest side street or pretend to talk or text someone on their phone. Frankly, a lot of whites in Cincinnati seem afraid of blacks.
  • There was an inexplicable feeling I had when driving through some of the abandoned parts of the city. Riding through some of the neighborhoods directly beside I-10 (New Orleans East i think) and seeing the boarded up homes and water markers halfway up the side of the houses made a lump form in my throat, and I'm not an emotional guy by any means. It made me think of the many people who lost their lives and all the families who lost all material possessions.
  • The hot weather. It was only March but it felt a little muggy. I can only imagine the summer.
  • The city feels bigger and is a lot more dense than what I thought it would be. I'm trying to figure out why the population density is so low on C-D.
  • LSU pride.
  • I love how some of the people have a New York and southern accent blended into one. Hearing some of the females speak was a turn on.
I know I'm forgetting some things but I'll end my list here since it's getting a little lengthy. I love New Orleans and I'll definitely be visiting again in the near future. If it weren't for the hot climate and bugs, I would consider relocating there. I'm one of those weirdos who isn't a big fan of hot weather so I'll stay put for now and just visit.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans