Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:25 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,401,052 times

Advertisements

Why do people live in New Orleans? Maybe because the real New Orleans that people know it actually is from those who sought out the total experience of it's unique culture would tell you it's not a racially polarized and segregated city like Chicago is. You won't ever see a neo nazi skinhead in the New Orleans area, but you will see one in the Chicago area, it's a fact. The first neo nazi skinhead gang started in Chicago by the way, and the fact that new wave racists like that can't exist in New Orleans like in Chicago makes New Orleans a better place to live than Chicago any day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:34 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,401,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Wannabe View Post
I have to ask, with all I have read on this forum about crime, poverty, corruption, etc....why do people live in New Orleans??
Move out if you're mad that racist skinheads and Aryan brotherhood types don't have a presence in New Orleans or Louisiana like the city or state that you used to call home. This ain't Texas, and this ain't California, this is New Orleans, Louisiana, Nazi trash is not tolarated here

Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,086,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
I do not mean to be ugly or rude but it sounds like Your head is like a sponge and is just soaking up the bad stuff.(lol)Come on down and don't forget to bring Your 12 Yr. old son He will not be in any harm.I hope You get all this figured out and make the best out of it.
I have to agree with this, every place has it's ups and downs, just think carefully before making your decision.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM

85 posts, read 399,158 times
Having lived in Chicago the past 10 years, it is an extremely segragated city. I've lived a few other places in my life, in the south too, and Chicago is FAR worse in terms of racism.

It isn't so much in the city proper, but it's very noticable when you venture into the suburbs. I don't pretend to know what causes the problem, perhaps it's all of the changes that are going on here within neighborhoods, plus gang violence.

That being said, the reasons why I love your state/city:

1. Weather
2. Architecture
3. Laid back attitude
4. Southern kindness
5. BEST SHRIMP EVER!!!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbs78 View Post
Having lived in Chicago the past 10 years, it is an extremely segragated city. I've lived a few other places in my life, in the south too, and Chicago is FAR worse in terms of racism.

It isn't so much in the city proper, but it's very noticable when you venture into the suburbs. I don't pretend to know what causes the problem, perhaps it's all of the changes that are going on here within neighborhoods, plus gang violence.

That being said, the reasons why I love your state/city:

1. Weather
2. Architecture
3. Laid back attitude
4. Southern kindness
5. BEST SHRIMP EVER!!!!!
Your second paragraph really makes it seem like crime is reaching suburban Chicago now.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 AM

194 posts, read 545,721 times
I've been living here for ten days now and keep finding awesome neighborhoods and people! The layout of the city makes so much more sense than Atlanta (where I'm from and which I still love, btw). To me, it's much easier to pinpoint and stay out of the "bad" areas here. There are so many more good areas than I realized, and I've visited a lot over the last two years.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
I've been living here for ten days now and keep finding awesome neighborhoods and people! The layout of the city makes so much more sense than Atlanta (where I'm from and which I still love, btw). To me, it's much easier to pinpoint and stay out of the "bad" areas here. There are so many more good areas than I realized, and I've visited a lot over the last two years.
Yeah, a lot of the people just don't even give the city a chance. The media really destroyed the city's reputation during the 2005 Hurricane season, NOLA is above all that you see on TV.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 PM

62 posts, read 182,635 times
I would love to move to NOLA but I think I would live in fear of getting hit by a stray bullet. I know that crime happens in every city, but how do you feel safe walking around when bullets are flying even in the "safe" tourist areas? I can't believe that shooting tonight took place right outside the welcome center! I'm so sad right now.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 AM

Did they ever repair the French Quarters? I heard rumors from friends that they got rid of it altogether.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:38 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,502,969 times
bettedaviseyes, we feel safe because bullets aren't flying around randomly 24/7. (how did you even come to that conclusion?) Shootings hardly ever occur in tourist areas, they rarely happen outside crime areas.
Tonights shooting was brazen, but that's not the average NOLA shooting either. It's another event that could have happened any crowded location.

The French Quarter was never messed up to begin with. OmShahi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans