Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:44 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,991,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
bettedaviseyes, we feel safe because bullets aren't flying around randomly 24/7. (how did you even come to that conclusion?) Shootings hardly ever occur in tourist areas, they rarely happen outside crime areas.
Tonights shooting was brazen, but that's not the average NOLA shooting either. It's another event that could have happened any crowded location.

The French Quarter was never messed up to begin with. OmShahi.
Hmm, I guess they were exactly that then, just rumors and not the truth.

That's good to know. I really like NOLA, it's got one heck of a nightlife, and the Cajun food is beyond good. I go where my stomach takes me, and that's how I usually rank cities, and NOLA is AWESOME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 12:53 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,461,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Hmm, I guess they were exactly that then, just rumors and not the truth.

That's good to know. I really like NOLA, it's got one heck of a nightlife, and the Cajun food is beyond good. I go where my stomach takes me, and that's how I usually rank cities, and NOLA is AWESOME!
I'm glad you like it. One thing to note though, NOLA is a Creole city vs. Cajun so there isn't that much cajun to choose from. If you are in town and would like to try some descent Cajun, then I suggest Cochon

Old 04-11-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you like it. One thing to note though, NOLA is a Creole city vs. Cajun so there isn't that much cajun to choose from. If you are in town and would like to try some descent Cajun, then I suggest Cochon
Creole meaning a blend of French and Spanish, right? By culture, language, food, and style, I think.

NO has more Cajun places than I've ever seen anywhere in Texas. Also it has one of the oldest roads in America. That's something I enjoy seeing everytime I go there to site see.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:04 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,461,469 times
Quote:
Creole meaning a blend of French and Spanish, right? By culture, language, food, and style, I think.

NO has more Cajun places than I've ever seen anywhere in Texas. Also it has one of the oldest roads in America. That's something I enjoy seeing everytime I go there to site see.
NOLA has a lot of Creole, there is big difference between the two. Most things labelled Cajun in the city are in tourist areas and are usually cajun in name only. I find more cajun things in Houston than NOLA, but Houston is right next to Cajun Country.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
NOLA has a lot of Creole, there is big difference between the two. Most things labelled Cajun in the city are in tourist areas and are usually cajun in name only. I find more cajun things in Houston than NOLA, but Houston is right next to Cajun Country.
Hmm, I'm from Houston, but I haven't ever noticed. Then again, I haven't ever tried mixing with other cultures much at home before.

Thank you for the advice though! I'm going to check all these things out soon enough in a month or so!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:57 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,342,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Wannabe View Post
I have to ask, with all I have read on this forum about crime, poverty, corruption, etc....why do people live in New Orleans??
Beats the hell out of me too .

Old 04-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Beats the hell out of me too .
Those are just some of the things in NOLA, and the media does a great job portraying NOLA for only those things.

There are great parts to the city, and surely many things to do to keep you entertained for hours and days in.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM

62 posts, read 182,223 times
Quote:
bettedaviseyes, we feel safe because bullets aren't flying around randomly 24/7. (how did you even come to that conclusion?) Shootings hardly ever occur in tourist areas, they rarely happen outside crime areas.
Tonights shooting was brazen, but that's not the average NOLA shooting either. It's another event that could have happened any crowded location.

The French Quarter was never messed up to begin with. OmShahi.

Ok, they aren't literally flying around 24/7, but they might as well be. I'm not sure I would feel safe anywhere there now. It seems like there is always at least one shooting during each of the festivals - I've been keeping up on NOLA crime news for a long time now. I checked out the number of murders the city has per year and the total is staggering compared to other cities. I love it there, so the violence really breaks my heart.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 AM

15 posts, read 51,837 times
On a brighter note, since I can't actually move there yet....I bought HBO so I could watch Treme. Love the music...any thoughts on the show from you locals?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 AM

85 posts, read 398,045 times
Quote:
Your second paragraph really makes it seem like crime is reaching suburban Chicago now.
It's a multitude of issues, and not every suburb is involved. The problem is that people from the city proper are being 'displaced' from gentrification and ending up in the suburbs as a result of cheaper housing. Also, we have a gang problem here, and it's moving into certain suburbs. Drug trade and it's issues is a direct result. Some suburbanites do not like change.

It's a very large city, I guess this sort of thing is to be expected.

Last edited by Pebbs78; 04-12-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans