Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:10 AM

65 posts, read 218,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Wannabe View Post
I have to ask, with all I have read on this forum about crime, poverty, corruption, etc....why do people live in New Orleans??
There is crime, poverty, and corruption all over the country, why do we live in America? Cuz its the Spit n there aint no place like home..........or the U.S.A lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:12 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,094,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbs78 View Post
It's a multitude of issues, and not every suburb is involved. The problem is that people from the city proper are being 'displaced' from gentrification and ending up in the suburbs as a result of cheaper housing. Also, we have a gang problem here, and it's moving into certain suburbs. Drug trade and it's issues is a direct result. Some suburbanites do not like change.

It's a very large city, I guess this sort of thing is to be expected.
That worries me about what's to become of Naperville in the future...

Old 04-16-2010, 01:41 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,882,307 times
I love New Orleans, it has a vibe unlike any other city.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:55 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,061,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Theres a reason pretty much everyone who visits NO comes away loving the joint. I worked down there recently and I came away trying to figure out how I can move down there.

My mom took me to No when I was a kid for the Worlds Fair in '84, I've considered myself a huge fan ever since. Love at first sight.
I visited NO back in 1989 and I didn't love the joint. I honestly thought it was a giant slum with a few nice areas. I know they fixed up the French Quarter since then, but even so, the place is kind of run like a 3rd World country. No thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM

Are they going to build a new stadium for the Saints?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:43 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,506,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Are they going to build a new stadium for the Saints?
We don't need one. Superdome is being renovated right now and looks great.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
We don't need one. Superdome is being renovated right now and looks great.
That stadium has got to have more history than any other NFL stadium in the country (aside from the Astrodome and Heinz Field).

Old 04-16-2010, 08:09 PM

194 posts, read 545,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I visited NO back in 1989 and I didn't love the joint. I honestly thought it was a giant slum with a few nice areas. I know they fixed up the French Quarter since then, but even so, the place is kind of run like a 3rd World country. No thanks.

Your loss...

I find more to love about this place every day. Actual places AND people...

Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,020 times
I am born and raised in NOLA but finally had to make the decision to move away in 2009. It's sad to see what a poorly managed education system (managed by poorly educated people) can do a once wonderful city. I believe that the education system in NOLA is the key to turning it around. I do NOT recommend that you relocate to NOLA if you have school age children and expect them to get a quality education from the New Orleans public school system. If you can afford private schools......best of luck to you! New Orleans is and always be home but it's no longer a safe place to raise a family, anyone who says otherwise either has no children of their own (that they care about) or they are living life with blinders on. Give it another 20 years or so; with the recent city elections that may be enough time to correct the wrongs of the past 4 decades of public corruption

Last edited by tlake3359; 04-18-2010 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 AM

98 posts, read 285,804 times
I can certainly understand why a person from San Jose, CA would not like New Orleans, the two places are on different pages. One vibrant, yet unpredictable the other mundane and extremely predictable, earthquakes aside.

And as for those who move to find a better future, good luck. Big cities that look like they have big education, most likely have bigger problems. Smaller cities have less in the way of education but more in moral values, but might not get your children into an upper level university.

To me at least, life seems to be about risk and reward. Establishing goals and objectives will determine where you stand, San Jose, low risk, low reward or New Orleans, higher risk, higher rewards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans