U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,854 times

Advertisements

Hi all! This is my first posting, as I was fortunate to have just received a job offer in New Orleans. I'm going to be working in the University area, and through searching this board and talking with a realtor, my fiancee and I have narrowed our main focus to the Uptown/University/Irish Channel/Garden District area for the most part, based on proximity to the school, elevation, and the general type of neighborhoods we believe we'll find along the Magazine Street corridor.

The main purpose of this post is to introduce myself and my fiancee, and see if anyone might be able to offer me some updated on-the-ground information regarding neighborhoods and availabilities that you have seen that you think might fit us.

First, we are young professionals, mid 20's to early 30's, no kids, looking for a cosmopolitan experience so that we can get the best out of NOLA. Ideally, I'd love to walk or bike into the University area on the days that it isn't too sticky outside, but more importantly, we'd love to be able to walk to coffee shops, restaurants, night spots, etc. with relative ease.

I understand that even in the Uptown/University/Irish Channel etc. area, the difference from street-to-street can be considerable with regard to safety issues and permanence of residence (i.e. many owners rather than renters). Could you suggest any particular streets in this general area that you think would be best to target? Any that you'd avoid? Any other neighborhoods that are similar that I might not be aware of?

Lastly, our visit will include the weekend of Friday, April 16 - Sunday, April 18. Are there any events or any great musicians you recommend we check out while we're there?

Thanks so much! We're both looking very forward to our upcoming move! Your assistance and and any thoughts you want to share are very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 PM

245 posts, read 416,676 times
We're in a very similar situation. However, I've previously lived there and still have a lot of family there. And even with that familiarity and local assistance, we are considering putting most of our stuff in storage for a month or two until we can go out and find our own place. There are furnished rentals to be found, and there are lots of climate controlled storage places with reasonable rates. It may cost a little more in rent for a month or two (plus rent on a storage unit), but the ability to go out and see properties we choose in the areas we want is worth the added expense.

Just food for thought, good luck on your move.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 AM

194 posts, read 495,118 times
Good luck;-) I've been here for a week and I already can't imagine living anywhere else! We found a great six-month lease, with bills included, in Broadmoor, which is gorgeous and very safe. I'm finding the "patchiness" of the good/bad neighborhoods to be a lot less than Atlanta, actually. There are transition streets, of course, and I'd advise using good common sense anywhere, but it's actually pretty easy to tell the crappy areas from the good areas.

We'll be looking to buy a place in the not-too-distant future, so we've been doing a lot of driving around and checking out different areas. I've been delighted to find a lot more nice areas than I expected.

You can also go on the NOPD website and check out the crime map. Other than auto break-ins, which seem to happen everywhere (be sure to keep the inside of your car clean) you can really pinpoint the high-crime areas. Violent crime - murder, aggravated assault, rape, etc. almost always happens in same few sections of the city.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM

194 posts, read 495,118 times
I would also like to add that there are a lot of very good people who live in the "crappy" areas of town. It's the vast minority who are actually causing trouble. True, there are many who are afraid to testify when they witness a crime, which perpetuates the cycle, but I can't imagine being deathly afraid of my neighbors and unable (because of age, illness, finances, etc.) to move away. Just wanted to say that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or