U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 AM

19 posts, read 31,803 times

Advertisements

I recently moved back to New Orleans (Metairie) from the Northshore. It seems most of the bars I find are either 'sports bars' or 'redneck' bars. My wife and kids are currently living abroad, so I get bored and go out a lot.

Any suggestions as to good bars, friendly, not too run down, not rednecky and not a sports bar? Just a good place to hang out...Or am I asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 PM

600 posts, read 931,261 times
THe Bulldog on Magazine, Cooter Browns on South Carrollton, or there are a whole bunch on Oak St.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 AM

42 posts, read 144,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
THe Bulldog on Magazine, Cooter Browns on South Carrollton, or there are a whole bunch on Oak St.
Actually, you must've meant Maple St. which is near Oak St., and does have a whole bunch -- too many perhaps. Oak Street has only 2 bars, the legendary Maple Leaf (further confusing the streets) and the dive Snake & Jake's. A very nice wine bar is opening soon, but there aren't any other drinking establishments on Oak due to a liquor license moratorium. The Maple Leaf, BTW, is THE place to be during Jazz Fest, i.e. right now.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:51 PM

310 posts, read 776,888 times
Lagers at Vets and Severn in Metairie. It's right by Lakeside Mall. More of a tavern atmosphere but if there's an LSU or Saints game on, it can feel like a crazy sports bar. Lagers is owned by the same people that own all Bulldog locations.

Both Bulldog locations in the New Orleans area - Uptown (Magazine St) and Mid City (Canal) are great too. Bulldog Mid City is probably my favortie atmosphere of the 2. Even when it's crowded, you can still get around. Bulldog Uptown doesn't have the layout to handle a huge crowd, but it's still good fun.

Cooter Browns is cool when it's not crowded. Dive bar, but you can look through the sculptures of famous people who've passed and manke a game out of why they're holding the brand of beer they're holding! Cool thing is, no matter how obscure that beer is, Cooter Brown's has it to order.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:36 PM

20 posts, read 67,879 times
Random question for those of you recommending Cooter Browns: Is it at all a Red Sox bar or just a sports bar that you can count on to have the non-nationally broadcast Red Sox games on? I did some research trying to find a place to watch the games, and Cooter Browns came up several times.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:47 AM

310 posts, read 776,888 times
I wouldn't even call it a sports bar - it just doesn't have that kind of vibe to it. They have flat screen TV's lining the walls, though, so at any given time you should be able to find any sporting event on in there. I think they must have all the sports satellite packages because there are always several different games playing no matter what the sport. The only time they'll have the TV's on the same thing is for an LSU or a Saints game. I'm sure if it's possible (if they have the channel), you can ask them to put one of the TV's on the Red Sox game. We've had them change it to University of Wisconsin football once!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans