U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Destrehan, Louisiana
2,192 posts, read 6,432,540 times
Reputation: 3629

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiten View Post
No, I don't doubt that you won't believe what I say, and I don't blame you. You are a man in your 50's and I imagine it's destabilizing to hear that a lifelong belief was founded on untruths and myths. Perhaps you'll believe James Gill (for those unacquainted with him, Gill is one of the most respected local political columnists and a resident of Metairie) who said about Jefferson Parish and Sheriff Harry Lee (the Parish's top law enforcement figure):

"This parish grew largely as a result of white flight, and it retains some of that feel of the 1950s today in its attitudes," Gill says. "And Harry's popularity depends, to some extent, on the perception that he is a white man's champion, he is holding back the black hordes that might otherwise threaten suburban bliss."
Larger-Than-Life Sheriff Rules Louisiana Parish : NPR

Quit dancing around with all the BS and answer my question.

Please tell me, what have you learned about me, bustaduke?

And it is not an historical fact just because you say so. Ever watch the local public broadcasting channel #12? About every three months they run a show about how and why the metro areas were built and according to them, it was for people coming home after WW2.

Also, can you tell me why in Metairie, north of Airline Dr. is predominantly white and south of Airline Dr. is predominantly black?

Was it because of white flight, are was it because of something the federal gouvernment created?

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
42 posts, read 144,676 times
Reputation: 42
To anyone still following this thread's wayward path, this book is an interesting read on the school desgregation to white flight issue in Louisiana (& the country). It is a very complicated topic, indeed...
Amazon.com: A Troubled Dream: The Promise and Failure of School Desegregation in Louisiana (9780826513892): Carl L. Bankston, Stephen J. Caldas: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,234 posts, read 14,509,683 times
Reputation: 25911
I've never lived in Louisiana but find this thread very interesting.

New Orleans is such an awesome, joyful place, but I've heard plenty about the public schools in the times I've been there. And newcomers with children should take this into consideration if the educational system is really that troubled. You can live in the outskirts, in any of those places already suggested, and still be within a short drive of the city to enjoy its numerous offerings. There's always something going on for fun.

I know I wouldn't mind living in the outskirts. 'Just thought I'd throw in an outsider's 2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 05:57 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
310 posts, read 776,282 times
Reputation: 260
I have heard both sides of the history here and it's well documented that both sides happened; however, outside of an "anonymous" chat board, I don't see anyone really acting this way. My very best friend is born and raised in the Lower 9th. I'm white, BTW, and she hasn't "sniffed" at me once, nor has she said anything towards me that remotely hinted hostility towards the areas of Kenner/Metairie.

Must be a thing with older people, huh? Glad it seems to be dying out cause, frankly, the attitude sucks. I agree the past was crappy and, no, I can't imagine what the people living then must've been through; however, it's 2010. Why can't anybody wake up and stop living in the past? That goes for ALL races.

Back on topic to the OP: I've never had anyone "sniff" at me. I live in the 'burbs because I like being further away from the hustle, not because I'm running away from black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,190,338 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiten View Post
Sir, do you not understand the meaning of the phrase "original sin"?

Whatever the case, at the risk or veering off-topic, I need to tell you that your presenting highly personal negative opinions about New Orleans as some "absolute" state of being is wrong according to every definition of the word. Furthermore, sugarcoating your disparagement and offering platitudes such as "I am a die-hard fan of New Orleans" do more harm than good to your overall credibility.

To answer your question (and I realize it was meant rhetorically), yes, although no one can tell about most parents, certainly many parents prefer to raise their children in New Orleans. I myself chose to live in New Orleans again after Katrina even though I had good options. Some of my friends here send their kids to public schools, some to private schools (costing less than $5,000 to more than $15,000 per year in full tuition; there is a wide range), but we're uniformly happy about raising our families in this city.

Certainly my own parents preferred to raise their children in New Orleans. I am a product of the old OPSB (4 different public schools in Uptown, Lakeview, & Gentilly). Even in its worst days there were many a respectable family that got their kids educated well without spending a dime in tuition. My childhood friends and I know this to be fact and attest to its value as living examples. Our education both in and out of the classroom in a diverse city made us more tolerant and open-minded.

A true die-hard fan of New Orleans will know what I speak of in my posts in this thread.

Have a good day, sir.
You are way off subject. It's not a sin to move. You're credibility goes down the drain right there.

Deep down you are angry at these people because by leaving they proved to you that New Orleans schools could not go anywhere but down without them. New Orleans public schools are a JOKE. A JOKE.

You can call them sinners, you can call them racists, but who came out ahead? The business followed the population growth out to Metairie when people moved there en masse, and now it is following them to the North Shore.

None of the problems in New Orleans stem from whites in Metairie. You people in the city need to look in the mirror. Short comings are the fault of the individual and nobody else.

And I would really like you to tell me how my statement about liking New Orleans hurts my credibility. You don't know anything about me other than I have a differing opinion. Don't be such a "foo" next time.

and thanks for the nice wishes! I did have a pretty nice day, despite the oil slick and the muggy weather. I wish you the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,190,338 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiten View Post
No, I don't doubt that you won't believe what I say, and I don't blame you. You are a man in your 50's and I imagine it's destabilizing to hear that a lifelong belief was founded on untruths and myths. Perhaps you'll believe James Gill (for those unacquainted with him, Gill is one of the most respected local political columnists and a resident of Metairie) who said about Jefferson Parish and Sheriff Harry Lee (the Parish's top law enforcement figure):

"This parish grew largely as a result of white flight, and it retains some of that feel of the 1950s today in its attitudes," Gill says. "And Harry's popularity depends, to some extent, on the perception that he is a white man's champion, he is holding back the black hordes that might otherwise threaten suburban bliss."
Larger-Than-Life Sheriff Rules Louisiana Parish : NPR
Let that man rest in peace. Everyone deserves to rest in peace regardless of public perception or what they may be/are guilty of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 04:11 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
42 posts, read 144,676 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
You are way off subject. It's not a sin to move. You're credibility goes down the drain right there.

Deep down you are angry at these people because by leaving they proved to you that New Orleans schools could not go anywhere but down without them. New Orleans public schools are a JOKE. A JOKE.

You can call them sinners, you can call them racists, but who came out ahead? The business followed the population growth out to Metairie when people moved there en masse, and now it is following them to the North Shore.

None of the problems in New Orleans stem from whites in Metairie. You people in the city need to look in the mirror. Short comings are the fault of the individual and nobody else.

And I would really like you to tell me how my statement about liking New Orleans hurts my credibility. You don't know anything about me other than I have a differing opinion. Don't be such a "foo" next time.

and thanks for the nice wishes! I did have a pretty nice day, despite the oil slick and the muggy weather. I wish you the same.
The oil slick affects all of us.

Here is a great article from USNews & World Report about a public high school in New Orleans: The High School That Beat Katrina - US News and World Report Does it not make you proud and hopeful of our people that we had the nation's 27th highest ranked school (out of over 21,000) on this illustrious list despite the calamity of Katrina?

The deeper story is about how the people of New Orleans are rebuilding not just from the aftermath of Katrina, but from the long decline of the city itself.

Running farther and farther away looking back only to point and wag fingers doesn't help anyone.

Last edited by Aiten; 05-01-2010 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: incorrect statistic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Destrehan, Louisiana
2,192 posts, read 6,432,540 times
Reputation: 3629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
I have heard both sides of the history here and it's well documented that both sides happened; however, outside of an "anonymous" chat board, I don't see anyone really acting this way. My very best friend is born and raised in the Lower 9th. I'm white, BTW, and she hasn't "sniffed" at me once, nor has she said anything towards me that remotely hinted hostility towards the areas of Kenner/Metairie.

Must be a thing with older people, huh? Glad it seems to be dying out cause, frankly, the attitude sucks. I agree the past was crappy and, no, I can't imagine what the people living then must've been through; however, it's 2010. Why can't anybody wake up and stop living in the past? That goes for ALL races.

Back on topic to the OP: I've never had anyone "sniff" at me. I live in the 'burbs because I like being further away from the hustle, not because I'm running away from black people.

I have to agree one hundred percent with your post. I have friends all over the area and I've never seen them attaching each other because of where they live.

In fact, you can be walking down a street and pass a party at a house and they will invite you in without even knowing you. They will offer you food and drink and introduce you to everyone. That's just one thing I love about living here.



busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,190,338 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiten View Post
The oil slick affects all of us.

Here is a great article from USNews & World Report about a public high school in New Orleans: The High School That Beat Katrina - US News and World Report Does it not make you proud and hopeful of our people that we had the nation's 27th highest ranked school (out of over 21,000) on this illustrious list despite the calamity of Katrina?

The deeper story is about how the people of New Orleans are rebuilding not just from the aftermath of Katrina, but from the long decline of the city itself.

Running farther and farther away looking back only to point and wag fingers doesn't help anyone.
It helps the ones who are supposedly doing the finger wagging, at least.

Ben Franklin operates as a charter school. I can't imagine what would happen if the powers that be got their hands on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Destrehan, Louisiana
2,192 posts, read 6,432,540 times
Reputation: 3629
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Ben Franklin operates as a charter school. I can't imagine what would happen if the powers that be got their hands on it.
I could tell you some stores about BF that would knock you socks off.


busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top