Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 05:13 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times

Advertisements

During a recent visit to the city we drove through Irish Channel and notice lots of new housing ocnstruction. Usually, new homes are a good sign of neighborhood improvement. How is this area in terms of safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM

194 posts, read 544,979 times
I've heard from residents that it's awesome, and we looked at renting there.

A guy did get shot in an early morning robbery while leaving his house the other morning. There's certainly no excuse for that, but I think it was a rare thing for that neighborhood. Stuff like that happens occasionally in the suburbs, too, so it wouldn't dissuade me from buying there. It is on our list of potential house hunting areas. I love the area, myself.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
I've heard from residents that it's awesome, and we looked at renting there.

A guy did get shot in an early morning robbery while leaving his house the other morning. There's certainly no excuse for that, but I think it was a rare thing for that neighborhood. Stuff like that happens occasionally in the suburbs, too, so it wouldn't dissuade me from buying there. It is on our list of potential house hunting areas. I love the area, myself.
thanks for your reply. We saw some really nice homes and several under construction. Do you know anything about the schools in this area?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:40 PM

406 posts, read 624,951 times
The private schools around the IC are great but public schools in general are not that good. It's pretty difficult to get you children into the better public/charter public schools on short notice. If you are planning on moving to the city you need to start calling shools now. Hope this helps and welcome to the Big Easy.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 PM

406 posts, read 624,951 times
Crime Viewer (http://cno-gisweb02.cityofno.com/crimeviewer/ - broken link) is the link to the crime maps for the city.
If the link is broken you can goto www.cityofno.com and hover your mouse over Government (at the top of the screen) and select NOPD. Crime Maps option will be @ the bottom left hand corner.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
You need to get out and walk the area, a drive by won't do it. If you find an area you like, walk a block or two around it and see how nice it is. There is a lot of variation in that area, but generally, the closer to the major streets is better(Washington, Jackson, Louisiana).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans