Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,619 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 yr old male relocating to New Orleans. Short notice, need to know where to live where it's fun, and has a great singles scene. Trying to not spend over $1000 per/mo for rent. Need some suggestions. There's a place in Kenner that is right on the Mississippi that looks nice, is that a good area?? Help. 30 days and counting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 PM

406 posts, read 625,176 times
It all depends on what amenties you are looking for with 1000/mo. How many beds/baths, single fam/multi fam, and where will you be working @?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Default covering the whole state

I figured since I'm moving down there, I might as well live in the funnest part, New Orleans. I'd atleast like to have 2 bedrooms because of a home office.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
I would look uptown. Keep an eye on craigslist.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM

310 posts, read 854,691 times
I live in Kenner and it's a decent suburb of New Orleans but it's probably not the scene you're looking for. It's definitely not the "funnest part" of New Orleans. Unless you like townie-type bars, there's no nightlife or singles scene - you have to venture into the city for that - most likely Uptown. From my house to uptown is about 13 miles. To downtown/French Quarter, it's about 15 miles.

Kenner is nice, I like it here, but if I was single I'd be miserable.

That being said, I'd suggest you look Uptown. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:13 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times
If you are just moving here you need to live Uptown IMHO. Not to put Kenner into a stereotype...but Pook is right, its not where someone moving to New Orleans would want to live I think.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Thanks for all these great tips. Anyone know of an "apartment finder" service? I've moved to another city before and had people show me around and it was a great help???

Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 AM

310 posts, read 854,691 times
No bad stereotype offense taken, Prytania, it is what it is - a suburb.

Let me put it this way, johnny: my husband first moved to "New Orleans" and was put in Destrehan (St. Charles Parish) by his company. Again, a nice place to live but if you're looking for the single life; not so much. He spent most of his money in his 20's paying for cabs and taking risky drives on I-10. Not good judgement but it happened and, whatever. That was the 90's. You might pay more for something Uptown, but it will be worth it to you socially and, quite frankly, legally if you enjoy the beverages as we do.

As far as apartment finders go here, your cheapest bet is Craigslist. I would advise you to not send money sight unseen though because there are many NOLA scammers there. I believe there are realtors who deal in renters and I think there might be one lurking? Hopefully someone can help you there, but there really is no such thing as an apartment complex in the Uptown area.

Rentals are huge in this city. You should be able to find someone knowledgable who will be more than happy to show you around. A big realty company in the area is Prudential Gardner. We use them and I see their signs all over Uptown but there are many MANY reputable ones here. I can't think of specifics right now but I hope someone else will chime in and maybe this can give you a start.

Last edited by Pook77; 05-13-2010 at 01:36 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,331 times
Hi I'm relocating to LA from Mississippi wanting to find something with section8 i kenner i have 4kids looking for something kid friendly please help

Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 AM

406 posts, read 625,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendorachick View Post
Hi I'm relocating to LA from Mississippi wanting to find something with section8 i kenner i have 4kids looking for something kid friendly please help
If I were you I would search for a rental agent that services that area. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: