Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:32 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,800,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I found it hard to believe it was ever free. A ferry seems like something that's begging for a toll.
The bridge tolls used to subsidize the ferry. Now that the bridge had its tolls removed (in a very politically motivated fashion), the ferry now has tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 AM

13 posts, read 29,298 times
Well I have lived in New Orleans for 2 years now. I moved here from Houston. I would not live anywhere in New Orleans Parish. That said I live in New Orleans Parish. I did live in Jefferson Parish for a short time when we first arrived to the area. Tarrytown to be exact. I do not reccomend it. From what I have been told it was at one point very nice but had gone way downhill since Katrina. The crime is on the increase and seems to be that way in many places on the west bank.

Now we own a home in Tall Timbers. This apparently was a posh neighborhood about 10-15 years ago. Now many residents are older and it's pretty quiet for the most part. The real issue with living here is the parish doesn't take care of the streets, the water and sewer or patrol the neighborhoods. Quite a few of the homes are blighted in this area and across General degaulle in the Bocage neighborhood. There are holes in the roads that can swallow a car no I am not joking. We have two large oak trees in front of our home. Since they are between the sidewalk and the street they are considered city property. Meaning I am not suppossed to touch them. I honestly would like them removed. But I was told to call the city about having them trimmed. After a solid year they finally made it out to trim those trees.

Now don't get me wrong if you just have to live in NOLA then this isn't too bad at all. But just be prepared to take care of things yourself. Police response to anything other than an active shooting is probably about 30-45 minutes. They are understaffed and although the mayor would like you to think the corruption is getting better they still have a way to go. I am not going to lie I will be happy not to have to live here anymore but at the same time I can see why some folks call it home.

There are points that make you want to stay. If you're devote Catholic with Mardi Gras and all the celebration this town is full of that culture. Also if you like music especially Jazz but also many other generes. Mostly if your are hip, young, street smart, single or married without children (school is not cheap here), with a genuine love for the night life this is quite the place. I can say if I was mid 20's again and single I would live someplace near Audubon ride my bike everywhere and spend lots of time people watching and enjoying the French Quarter and the CBD. With an occasional ride across to Algiers Point to take in some of the happenings there also Gretna Fest shouldn't be missed either.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:13 PM

151 posts, read 289,594 times
Thank you Orange. Every time -I- say anything against New Orleans, I get treated like the plague on here. I've been called troll, trouble maker, and told to leave because they don't want to hear it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's seen both sides.

To the others, just because you are partial to a place doesn't make you right. You don't see the problems, or ignore the problems, because to you it's home. That doesn't make the problems non-existent. For gods sakes, just before my last post, ten people were gunned down on Bourbon street. In the time I've been here I've seen a rash of home invasions, car jackings, and more.

A cop told us last week that in the area we work at, there were 11 muggings in and around that street and we are only a few blocks from a police station, and we work in a "good" area of New Orleans. No, I wont specify where because that would cause us problems.

Good jazz, good food, culture, and the drinking is not enough to make up for the problems. I really don't want to get shot walking down the street. It takes seconds to google the crime stats in the areas. Don't believe that the city has no problems just because the locals don't want you to think there is.

You can't walk down ANY street for more than a block without someone harassing you for money. In fact, last week the city was talking about how the homeless people are bussing themselves into the city to panhandle because the city is known for being a good place to get money from people. There are tent cities under most of the major bridges. Last week we were driving home when one of these homeless people got up out of his wheelchair and walked into the middle of the two lanes during a red light to force people not to move forward when it turned green and held up his hand in a $1 motion, and started pointing at the cars like he was demanding the money and wouldn't move until someone gave him a dollar. The only reason he moved is because someone almost rode him down to force him out of the way. And the police won't do ANYTHING about it so long as you aren't being violently threatened with a weapon. The homeless problem is becoming a very serious problem and there have been city wide meetings about this.

The cops are seriously shorthanded and will remain that way due to the increasingly violent nature of being a cop in this city.

I'm not expecting anyone who grew up here to start hating the city or anything. Neither am I expecting you to start bad mouthing it. I just would like those that live here to acknowledge that these are serious problems instead of blowing them off.

It's become very difficult to tell people that it's ok to go to the french quarter when there have been several shootings in the last five years in and around it and the victims are tourists who are the lifeblood of this city.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 PM

643 posts, read 972,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
Thank you Orange. Every time -I- say anything against New Orleans, I get treated like the plague on here. I've been called troll, trouble maker, and told to leave because they don't want to hear it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's seen both sides.

To the others, just because you are partial to a place doesn't make you right. You don't see the problems, or ignore the problems, because to you it's home. That doesn't make the problems non-existent. For gods sakes, just before my last post, ten people were gunned down on Bourbon street. In the time I've been here I've seen a rash of home invasions, car jackings, and more.

A cop told us last week that in the area we work at, there were 11 muggings in and around that street and we are only a few blocks from a police station, and we work in a "good" area of New Orleans. No, I wont specify where because that would cause us problems.

Good jazz, good food, culture, and the drinking is not enough to make up for the problems. I really don't want to get shot walking down the street. It takes seconds to google the crime stats in the areas. Don't believe that the city has no problems just because the locals don't want you to think there is.

You can't walk down ANY street for more than a block without someone harassing you for money. In fact, last week the city was talking about how the homeless people are bussing themselves into the city to panhandle because the city is known for being a good place to get money from people. There are tent cities under most of the major bridges. Last week we were driving home when one of these homeless people got up out of his wheelchair and walked into the middle of the two lanes during a red light to force people not to move forward when it turned green and held up his hand in a $1 motion, and started pointing at the cars like he was demanding the money and wouldn't move until someone gave him a dollar. The only reason he moved is because someone almost rode him down to force him out of the way. And the police won't do ANYTHING about it so long as you aren't being violently threatened with a weapon. The homeless problem is becoming a very serious problem and there have been city wide meetings about this.

The cops are seriously shorthanded and will remain that way due to the increasingly violent nature of being a cop in this city.

I'm not expecting anyone who grew up here to start hating the city or anything. Neither am I expecting you to start bad mouthing it. I just would like those that live here to acknowledge that these are serious problems instead of blowing them off.

It's become very difficult to tell people that it's ok to go to the french quarter when there have been several shootings in the last five years in and around it and the victims are tourists who are the lifeblood of this city.
There are problems, we get that, but dont make it seem as if crime is only a new orleans thing. D.C., Atl, Miami, New York, Houston, etc, etc have crime to deal with....the average killings a year in america are roughly about 17,000, new orleans has been on a yearly decrease with murders, ( 155 last year and will most likely be lower this year) and overall crime...there are much worse places than New Orleans

Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,126,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post

Ten were not gunned down. One person was.
In that same time a rash of home invasions, car jakcings, and more happend in Dallas, Miami, Little Rock, Memphis, etc.

Quote:
Probably in or near the Quarter I assume?

Quote:
I've never been shot, we tell people of problems, but we don't exaggerate it like others.

Quote:
I've walked down many a street without hassle. There is a homeless problem, but that's not at all unique to New Orleans. Welcome to America.
Quote:
I don't think that has a bearing much on it actually, probably more to do with corruption and work environment.
Quote:
People do, not sure what you're talking about. There's no point in talking about the bad parts of the city 24/7 as if there are no positives to discuss.

Quote:
It's not difficult at all, I direct tourists there during the day, at night the types of people who like Bourbon St are going to find themselves there anyway and are probably all for that type of nightlife back in their hometown. It's easy to spot the couple who's obviously not the Bourbon St type while walking through, their probably trying to find their hotel.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 PM
yr5

16 posts, read 19,332 times
Mid-City hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans