Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 7,749 times

Advertisements

I am a 40 year old male looking to move to New Orleans at the end of Oct./beginning of Nov. I have visited NO many times and have fallen in love with the city and it's people. I have worked for over 20 years in the customer service/hospitality field and am currently employed at Embassy Suites in Des Moines, Ia. I will be moving alone and have 1 cat that stays indoors and has been declawed. I am looking for something around the $500.00 a month range for living and I will be relying on public transportation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 PM

307 posts, read 799,245 times
I just went through an apartment search in New Orleans recently, and from what I can tell, $700 is about the lowest you're going to find anywhere worth living. There may be a few steals out there, but that seems to be the low end average.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 PM

310 posts, read 852,112 times
$700 is a steal for a decent area. Get any lower than that and you're looking at an unsafe area. I'd say the average rate for a 1 bedroom is around $1000/month. If you can handle having a roommate, you can usually get a decent place that way. It's possible that you might be able to find a small studio in a suburb for $500 but if you're relying on public transport, you don't want to live much past Uptown. If you can, find a realtor to help you out. If that's not possible, keep an eye on Craigslist. Like I've told people before, do not send money to anyone there without coming down to see the place first. I've seen numerous people get scammed by jerks trolling for people who are hard up in NOLA. You might want to see it first for neighborhood reasons too. Again, if it's cheap there could be a very negative reason for that.

New Orleans public transport is nowhere near reliable, FYI, so you might want to try finding a place that you can either bike or walk to work. A friend of mine relies on the streetcar to get to work Downtown (she lives Uptown) and she has to leave her house almost 3 hours before her shift starts to get there on time. Sometimes she's really early and other times she's still been late. As for work, there always seems to be positions open in areas that involve tourism (like hotels). In other areas of work, we've been hit just as hard by the economic downturn as everyone else.

Have you looked into possibly taking some sort of transfer within the Hilton company - to one of their properties down here, maybe?

Last edited by Pook77; 05-19-2010 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Thank you for your input. Cameron

Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 PM

307 posts, read 799,245 times
FWIW, we just signed a lease on a 2 bed 2 bath apartment in the Creeks community in River Ridge (Google it for more info). The area feels pretty safe, the complex seems to be very well-kept, and there are many conveniences nearby (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, chain restaurants, etc). It's costing us $945/month.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,036,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam121269 View Post
I am a 40 year old male looking to move to New Orleans at the end of Oct./beginning of Nov. I have visited NO many times and have fallen in love with the city and it's people. I have worked for over 20 years in the customer service/hospitality field and am currently employed at Embassy Suites in Des Moines, Ia. I will be moving alone and have 1 cat that stays indoors and has been declawed. I am looking for something around the $500.00 a month range for living and I will be relying on public transportation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to New Orleans, we love when visitors become locals.

busta

Old 05-21-2010, 07:09 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,330,000 times
Lower Garden District, Mid-City would be your best bets if you're working in the CBD.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking forward to moving in November.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 12,886 times
Moving to New Orleans and looking for good Neighborhood and especially suburbs.
Hi,
I am planning to move to neworleans and looking for apartment in safe neighborhood ( close to shopping and restaurants). I heard about riverridge, kenner and metaire. I would like to know which of these 3 places is best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:16 PM

those 3 areas are more burbs than close to New Orleans proper. It depends on what you are looking for and the price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans