U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM

311 posts, read 759,898 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to take a tour of St. Louis #1 this weekend. It seems to be right there at the French Quarter, but I have heard that it is in a rough part of town. My question is would I be fine parking in the Quarter (we plan on hanging out there after the tour for a while) and walking over to where the tour starts (501 Basin)? I'm fine finding a garage in the Quarter, and I'm fine with walking a lot, I just don't want to walk through a bad area on my way to the tour's starting point. The tour is at 10:30 AM, so it's not like we'll be there after dark, but it's still something I'm concerned with. Thanks in advance for your response!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:47 PM

4,886 posts, read 6,856,837 times
If you are taking a group tour of the cemeteries you should be safe. Walking to the tour through the FQ is safe. There is public parking along the river behind the French Market, Jax Brewery, and there is a parking garage @ Canal Place Mall. I would stick with the tour for the cemeteries though. Going alone could put you at risk, even in the daytime.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the response!

Definitely planning on staying with a tour. However, I'm just wondering how the area is between "safe French Quarter" (for lack of a better term) and the entrance is. Since the cemetery is outside the Quarter, I just wasn't sure if I'd wonder out of touristy areas and into a rough neighborhood before meeting the tour group. Thanks again.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,189,168 times
That cemetary is only one block from the quarter, but it is right next to a public housing development. The are some other cemetaries on the opposite side of the development that i would advise against walking to, but #1 is not a problem.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,434,464 times
Just stay with the tour group. Walking to the cemetery in broad daylight is pretty safe. You will be along a busy street with lots of people around. The thing that makes the cemetery so dangerous if you wander away from the group is that the above ground tombs create lots of nooks and crannies for armed robbers to potentially hide (another poster mentioned the housing project that is right next door).

Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 PM

Thanks again for the responses. I read a little about #2 on the other side of the Iberville, and that blogger (who seems to be familiar with NOLA's cemeteries) advised against visiting it in any conditions.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM

10,232 posts, read 15,505,238 times
Let us know if you went and how you liked it.

I love the cemeteries there, and those old ones make terrific black 'n' white pictures. We've always braved going, but there are tour groups in and out of there all day long.

We also love the Metairie Cemetery. Worth the drive. You can drive through it and stop to walk around. Beautiful, glorious, unusual sites. You can even learn a little bit about the history there. I was in the Italian section, and I turned right around to see Louis Prima's large tomb in front of me.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 PM

7 posts, read 19,052 times
thanks guys, I fear for my life now lol...

Old 06-19-2010, 12:32 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,434,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctlion84 View Post
thanks guys, I fear for my life now lol...
The odds of you getting killed I'd say are pretty slim as long as you use common sense. Go with a tour group and you'll be fine.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:42 PM

37 posts, read 139,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
The odds of you getting killed I'd say are pretty slim as long as you use common sense. Go with a tour group and you'll be fine.
I agree.

Plus despite all the fear mongering you might hear on TV/Radio its rare that tourists get killed in New Orleans. If you wander alone into the wrong area you could get robbed, but you just have to smart and stay with the group and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans