Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM

205 posts, read 977,493 times

Advertisements

Which are the most cleanest and safest NYCHA projects in Brooklyn? I only know about Odwyer Gardens in Coney Island. What others are clean/safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 11:19 AM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Clean ones:
Glenwood Houses
Nostrand Houses
Sheepshead Bay Houses
Clymer-Wythe Houses
Jonathan Williams Plaza
Independence Plaza
Marlboro Houses (some buildings)

O'Dwyer Gardens is not clean or safe. No project in Coney Island is.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM

281 posts, read 1,237,321 times
I would also put Bayview projects in Canarsie on the clean list.Breukelen in Canarsie also clean but to a lesser extent and not as safe as Bayview.
Seems like Brooklyn wins the clean NYC projects thread although SI hasn't weighed in yet.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
I would also put Bayview projects in Canarsie on the clean list.Breukelen in Canarsie also clean but to a lesser extent and not as safe as Bayview.
Seems like Brooklyn wins the clean NYC projects thread although SI hasn't weighed in yet.

There's three projects on Staten Island (Berry Houses, South Beach Houses and Todt Hill Houses) that are so far from dangerous/dirty/anything typically associated with projects that it's laughable.

I promise you, if anybody in my neighborhood, or most parts of the North Shore for that matter, were offered an apartment in one of those developments they'd jump on it in seconds.

Literally nothing ever happens in South Beach (a friend of mine told me he had friends in them buildings and since they never had any street altercations to pertain to that all they used to do was shoot a shotgun off the roof and when the time finally came where they actually felt like they needed that shotgun to take care of a street matter they were out of ammo because they wasted it off shooting the sky, lol) or Todt Hill (I remember hearing about one shooting there ever - it was broad day light though, go figure). Something significant happens at the Berry Homes like once every 3-5 years. All 3 developments are clean and almost completely lack loitering (varies on weather and such, obviously). I'd be shocked if any project in the 5 boroughs is better than Todt Hill. Much higher percentage of old, white people living in these areas than your average project as well.

Oh, there's also these projects for the elderly called the Cassidy-Lafayette Houses. Never heard of anything negative coming out of those either for obvious reasons, I'm sure.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
Forgot about Bayview. I put Bayview on the same level as Marlboro.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
There's three projects on Staten Island (Berry Houses, South Beach Houses and Todt Hill Houses) that are so far from dangerous/dirty/anything typically associated with projects that it's laughable.

I promise you, if anybody in my neighborhood, or most parts of the North Shore for that matter, were offered an apartment in one of those developments they'd jump on it in seconds.

Literally nothing ever happens in South Beach (a friend of mine told me he had friends in them buildings and since they never had any street altercations to pertain to that all they used to do was shoot a shotgun off the roof and when the time finally came where they actually felt like they needed that shotgun to take care of a street matter they were out of ammo because they wasted it off shooting the sky, lol) or Todt Hill (I remember hearing about one shooting there ever - it was broad day light though, go figure). Something significant happens at the Berry Homes like once every 3-5 years. All 3 developments are clean and almost completely lack loitering (varies on weather and such, obviously). I'd be shocked if any project in the 5 boroughs is better than Todt Hill. Much higher percentage of old, white people living in these areas than your average project as well.

Oh, there's also these projects for the elderly called the Cassidy-Lafayette Houses. Never heard of anything negative coming out of those either for obvious reasons, I'm sure.
I've only been south of the expressway once in my life. I wanna go out there and see these places. You can see Todt Hill from the expressway and I couldnt even believe those were projects at first. I've seen every project on the North Shore except Mariners Harbor, I didn't go that far west.
Have you ever been to Todt Hill, the Berries, or South Beach?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've only been south of the expressway once in my life. I wanna go out there and see these places. You can see Todt Hill from the expressway and I couldnt even believe those were projects at first. I've seen every project on the North Shore except Mariners Harbor, I didn't go that far west.
Have you ever been to Todt Hill, the Berries, or South Beach?

I know I've been inside the Berries before but it was mainly to pick someone up from that Head Start daycare-esque program there. I don't recall ever going inside the actual Todt Hill or South Beach buildings but I've been all around them and on the grounds a bunch of times. I've known a few people who have lived in them but I don't ever recall actually going inside them.

I know what you mean about Todt Hill from the expressway though. They look even nicer up close. lol

Old 02-15-2016, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 17,663 times
Anyone have any concrete info on the nycha glenwood housing and system? Is it safe ? Is it very mixed enthiticity? What are you actually offered there ? One bedroom , 2 .., a studio ? How much of your annual income do they require for rent? Anyone has a link or YouTube clip with photos ... of inside or area around it ? If yes pls email millysthegreatestceleb@gmail.com thanks looking to apply

Old 01-14-2017, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,951 times
I live in downtown Brooklyn, Farragut Houses, the surrounding area has come a long way, positive change has come. The problem I am having is the "projects" why are tenants allowed to keep the building so dirty, urine, food stuff in the elevators etc. This seems to be a trend in most NYCHA developments and a reason for the stigma. My goal in 2017 is to change that perception. Most people that live in NYCHA are hard working, family oriented, decent people. The problem is where do I start, I have tried to mobilize my neighbors by writing letters and encouraging them but they are truly discouraged because there is no hope, not even from leadership. This year someone has to be accountable for this intolerable mess. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, one development at a time.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighborskeeper View Post
I live in downtown Brooklyn, Farragut Houses, the surrounding area has come a long way, positive change has come. The problem I am having is the "projects" why are tenants allowed to keep the building so dirty, urine, food stuff in the elevators etc. This seems to be a trend in most NYCHA developments and a reason for the stigma. My goal in 2017 is to change that perception. Most people that live in NYCHA are hard working, family oriented, decent people. The problem is where do I start, I have tried to mobilize my neighbors by writing letters and encouraging them but they are truly discouraged because there is no hope, not even from leadership. This year someone has to be accountable for this intolerable mess. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, one development at a time.
Most of your neighbors are probably from the shelter....thats what they do nowadays

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery