Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 02:18 PM

17 posts, read 31,365 times

Advertisements

I am upset today! Yesterday the developer told me that I were qualified. But this morning she call me that I will actually be placed on the waiting list. I did not know what happened. How long will I wait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 03:27 PM

4,782 posts, read 6,586,858 times
Wow, that's too bad! Perhaps someone with a lower log number than you got approved. Don't give up hope, though. Maybe someone else will flame out.

As far as how long you will have to wait, no one can possibly know the answer to that.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,844,288 times
Are an employer's contributions to my 401k considered income for the purposes of determining whether or not you're in the income range? If so, I'm over the limit

Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 PM

11 posts, read 17,402 times
I had applied for a west 42 apartments! The interviewer was very rude! She straigh asked me why did you applied to this building specific! I said I did not only applied to this building but to many! I missed one of my 6 pay stubs on a roll but I brought her more then that! I told her I didn't have the welcome landlord packet , I brought the 2014 tax return but my husband and I did not brought the 2015 due we are adjusting he's status in USA! Means he's case is pending and his social security card card and work permit are expire I told her for that reason we couldn't fill taxes yet wer pending in immigration!!! IRS is awarded and they told us we can't get any extension since we don't own IRS any money! IRS couldn't give a official paper they just made a not on they system and recommend for us to fill taxes in a frame time of not more then 6 months! I told this lady my needs to move to the Manhattan is due I have a autistic kid that needs speech therapy and we all know in bron county this is IMPOSIBLE. Other reason was my husband really did not been employed he was just working time to time since no one likes to hire and person without documents I never say in the application he had any income because he does not! She pretends to say he was self employed which he wasn't so it a business or work as a regular basis ,did have a voucher to show! She denied to continue with the process of my application due of this 3 factors without take in consideration for the disable person on the family composition my husband is been here no more then 4 years I had Appel the decision I summit a pay studs directly from my employers , I did summit a letter from my husband immigration lawyer and a immigration form that they sent them were state he's case is pending as well I had summit letters from my son Doctor and from the agency in charge of find him a speech therapist where clearly say since 2014 they can't get a therapist due they doesn't have it from Bronx side I summit as well a letter where I was requesting a Saturday vocational program for him and where this request was denied because unfortunately This agencies DOENST have founds for Bronx I summit a letter were the doctor say he recommended a building with elevator due he has motor skills issues as well. So I am praying and hoping to heard back any news it will be almost two weeks next Tuesday of my appeal summits! What do you guys think could happens or q41appartments since you the expert any opinion??? Please can someone know how this going after a appeal pop up? Time frame to heard back from them??? I BELIVE the lady was very rude and even discriminate me I felt that way!.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:12 AM

246 posts, read 486,030 times
So I just called NEBHDCO that is the management company for the Park Monroe II Apartment Lottery and I explained to them that I received a prequalified letter for an apartment and I did bring in my tax forms. The gentleman on the other end said "just be patient". I will be sent a letter when an apartment that fits my bracket becomes available. So I said does that mean i have an apartment. He said no it means to wait (lol) and you are ahead of the game then most people. So I am a little excited about this. But I will be very excited when I get that letter telling me to come and view the apartment.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,172 times
I have a question about the application. I am currently living with my parents and looking for my first apartment on my own. In the current living situation section, should I list my parent (who is the leaseholder of the apartment) as landlord? Or should I just list the actual realty office? My mother has a history in housing court and I don't want that to negatively affect my application as I am not listed on the lease. And I have been paying my mother rent by cash; If I get selected would a letter from my parent be enough to prove rental history?

Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 AM

My friend was in the same situation, living with her parents. She put down her parents' landlord as the landlord on her application, and gave the landlord's contact information. But when it came time to provide a letter from the landlord, the developer said she could give in a notarized letter from her parents stating that she lives with them. Her parents also needed to provide a copy of their current lease. It worked out fine for her; she was accepted and is now living in her own apartment.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,951 times
I have a few questions and im really hoping any of you on here can be helpful!
I previously read on here that income is determined by either 1) your current income/tax return, 2) the average income of the last 3 years, or 3) your projected income.
My husband sold some stock last year and in 2013 which made our income on our tax returns higher than the max income in the bracket we are in, but it isnt typically the norm. 2014 was still within the income bracket and was a more typical year for us. 2015 tax return is too high because of the stock he sold and ultimately the average of the last three years is still too high.

- How do you prove "projected income"?
- Would future promised stock options be considered income or assets? (from which i believe they use 2% and add to your income?)
- When we provide all of paperwork, will they look at it and schedule an interview to work with us, or will they look at it and possibly deny it outright without giving us a chance to maybe prove our projected income?

TIA

Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Hi triana! The short answer is that it is what it is. You can't change what's on your tax returns! So you'll have to submit all the documents required and see how they're interpreted.

If I had to take a guess, however, I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect. I don't think tax returns are the most important indicator. You have a strong case that selling stock isn't the norm.

I believe that current income is more important. As far as projected income, I believe they take current pay stubs, take an average of those, and project the income for the rest of the year. The employer will be asked if any raises are expected. If the employer says yes, that might disqualify you, depending how big the raise is. (There is a concept called "future need." They try to give apartments to people who are likely to be at the same income level for a while.)

Best of luck!

Old 07-13-2016, 10:31 AM

243 posts, read 310,408 times
I am so sorry to everyone who is having issues.

These lotteries are NOT an easy process and the people who process the applications are not always the nicest of people. I think some of them secretly want you to slip them money in order to speed up your process. There is a lot of red tape involved. I know a co-worker from years ago who told me he slipped them money in a brown bag to get his 2 bedroom apartment on Central Park West via lottery.

Also, these lotteries have gotten more and more strict. They previously didn't ask for 401K, pension, and stocks and now they have within the last 2 years. They factor all of that as your income and I think that is ridiculous because the 401K is constantly changing and doesn't mean you'll be at that employer forever.

You are permitted to appeal, but the people who process the applications are vicious and not the brightest. I wish everyone luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery