Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I have a question. I applied for NYC Housing Lottery in Dec 2015. I was single (applied for one) and making around 30k a year. A few days a ago (Aug 2017) I get an email saying that they will schedule my interview. Meanwhile, I decide to get married and it should happen any day now. I still fit in financially, however now it will go from one person to two people. Can I change that (the number of people who are going to live in the given apt) if I bring to the interview our marriage certificate and his income, or should I wait to get married? :-) However, I want to be clear and honest while applying. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 04:26 AM

387 posts, read 561,112 times
I personally would wait to get married, just because the process would be a whole lot smoother. After you get married, I believe you can add him to your lease (there are certain life events that allow that change) but remember that you will now have 2 incomes so they will adjust it accordingly.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,351 times
Hey,
I make $40K per year.
I was on Disability last year, and made no more than a little over $15K in 2015 and 2014.
I am doing the 9 month Social Security trial work period (so I receive $723/month but it ends in November) and I’ve been working since March 2017. I saw that the income max requirements for a one bedroom at the time I applied was $38K but now all the lottery now renting apartments state the one bedroom one person household income cap is $40,080. I have only been working this job from March until October (8 months). I have not made 40K yet. I have only made (including the Social Security income) 33K. My projected income after November will be 40K over the next year. I have no savings or assets over 5K. Will I still be approved possibly? My credit score is 708 and 709. Please Help!!!

Old 10-01-2017, 04:37 PM

4,802 posts, read 6,653,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HousingLotto89 View Post
Hey,
I make $40K per year.
I was on Disability last year, and made no more than a little over $15K in 2015 and 2014.
I am doing the 9 month Social Security trial work period (so I receive $723/month but it ends in November) and I’ve been working since March 2017. I saw that the income max requirements for a one bedroom at the time I applied was $38K but now all the lottery now renting apartments state the one bedroom one person household income cap is $40,080. I have only been working this job from March until October (8 months). I have not made 40K yet. I have only made (including the Social Security income) 33K. My projected income after November will be 40K over the next year. I have no savings or assets over 5K. Will I still be approved possibly? My credit score is 708 and 709. Please Help!!!
You have a complicated situation.

Basically, income is figured several different ways, and the highest figure is the one they use.

The income you made in 2014 and 2015 won't be a problem, in my opinion, even if it is below the minimum needed.

You mention the income cap for the apartment, but what is the minimum? You obviously have to be between the two numbers.

Your challenge, as I see it, is that the Social Security trial work period is not permanent. Normally, your workplace is required to fill out a form stating your income and also stating whether you are in line to receive a raise or a promotion. In your case, will there be someone at Social Security to do this for you, and will that person state that the job is ending? That is the question.

How much will you make if the work trial money is not included?

A lot of this process is being lucky and having good timing. In your case, have you been called for an interview?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:11 PM

I have been called for the interview. I have all of my documents. I make $40K without Social Security. I have only made $23,333K of the $40K Income. Based on my salary alone I won’t make the 40K income this year. And before March I wasn’t working so I was only receiving Social Security. As I said I only have been working for 8 months come the interview in a few days. The building is so beautiful and perfect. I am a paralegal at a law firm.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:53 AM

4,802 posts, read 6,653,991 times
There's no more advice I can give you. I don't fully understand your situation, how the Social Security combines with your income, and I'm not sure what is ending in November.

You'll just have to go on the interview, see what they say, and see what happens. In the meantime, if you haven't done it already, google Marketing Guidelines HPD, download the document, and read it. It's long, but it's vital to understanding what you'll be going through.

The marketing agents do make mistakes, and with a situation as complicated as yours, you need to be extra vigilant.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2017, 07:19 AM

My Social Security monthly check is ending in November because I did a 9 month trial period where they still allowed me to receive my full $708 check for nine months. November is the ninth and last month I will receive that check. The Social Security would count as other income sources, I believe. Thank you. I will download the aforementioned document. I hope they still approve me.

Last edited by HousingLotto89; 10-02-2017 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-02-2017, 08:43 AM

994 posts, read 1,061,964 times
How much do the buildings influence the assignments of apartments? If someone fits in a studio and a 1 bedroom, is the driving force the higher rent (building) or the utilization (HDP)?

Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 AM

195 posts, read 430,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
How much do the buildings influence the assignments of apartments? If someone fits in a studio and a 1 bedroom, is the driving force the higher rent (building) or the utilization (HDP)?
I was reading through the guideline, and since there are apartments that I qualify to studios and 1 bedrooms.. According through guideline, they have to tell you what is available and you get to choose at the interview. I would certainly want to go for the 1 bedroom if its available at the time of interview, I am sure the management company would also say the odds of the applicant getting the studio or one bedroom as well.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:29 AM

387 posts, read 561,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinoman818 View Post
I was reading through the guideline, and since there are apartments that I qualify to studios and 1 bedrooms.. According through guideline, they have to tell you what is available and you get to choose at the interview. I would certainly want to go for the 1 bedroom if its available at the time of interview, I am sure the management company would also say the odds of the applicant getting the studio or one bedroom as well.
Agreed. Let's say you go to a viewing, you can ask if there's any other units available for your choice-they are suppose to accommodate what you want and what's available. During my interview they said both were available but they didn't know how many of each (studio and 1 bedroom ). They ended up giving (and choosing) a 1 bedroom for me. If I were assigned a studio I would have asked about 1 bedroom availability

Last edited by deslove; 10-10-2017 at 05:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery