Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 11:42 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,560,761 times

Advertisements

I think having the CB preference is very important. Those people have to be accommodated first, along with people with disabilities and (at some point) city workers. A friend of mine applied for 10 lotteries, and the only one she heard back from was the one in her community.

Congrats to you! It must be so exciting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Well, I was called to the one in Hunters Point Living and I don't even live in Queens. I hail all the way from Manhattan.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:41 PM

9 posts, read 51,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortgreene View Post
I have a CB preference and a high log number (20,000+). I was asked to interview a couple weeks ago, brought all of the application materials they asked for, saw an apartment earlier this week and am now signing a lease. I only saw one unit and was not given a choice. Talk about a whirlwind- entire process in less than 3 weeks. I think if you bring everything they ask for (including the money order for the credit/background check) to the interview, have good credit and fit the income restrictions, this process is very quick.

Additionally, the building seems like its having a bit of an identity crisis. "City Point Tower 1" is now being called 7 Dekalb. City Tower is a completely different building- all market rate and no affordable units. The buildings are connected at the base but do not share amenities or entrances. Tenants are already starting to move into both buildings, but the common spaces (roof deck, lobby, laundry room) are still under construction.
Do you get a choice in move-in date? I probably still have a couple weeks before they let me know if I'm approved but I have my lease until October.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:16 PM

33 posts, read 78,616 times
My log number is 12,XXX and I never got a call or anything for an interview yet your number is higher than mine and you did? Can someone school me on how this process works. When I applied, I made sure I was within the household and income size and I am a City employee. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 AM

78 posts, read 168,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequenome View Post
My log number is 12,XXX and I never got a call or anything for an interview yet your number is higher than mine and you did? Can someone school me on how this process works. When I applied, I made sure I was within the household and income size and I am a City employee. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

The first set of people that are called are community preference (CB) and disability preference. Then they move on to city employees. You have a decent log number so you might be called depending on how many apartments remain.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:46 AM

So let us say there are 80,000 individuals who applied for apartments, you mean to tell me they go through all 80,000 applications stopping along the way to call people who are CB preferred? Therefore, let us say that 2001, 13,692, 45,982, 66,593, 79,999 all stated on their applications that they live in the community board (this is hypothetical of course), then after they have selected those individuals and assessed their qualifications they move on to the next category? Going through the list all again to meet the next criteria? Thanks again for your response!

Old 05-06-2016, 10:12 AM

22 posts, read 73,781 times
I can't answer your last question about how they search and order the criteria/preferences, but here is the explanation for the lottery numbers process taken straight from the FAQs under 'what to expect' on Housing Connect. According to this it seems that when you apply does not matter as I always thought because they randomize the applications anyway. Maybe they check for all preferences on each application the first time.

"Lottery

At the close of the marketing period, our development partners, under the supervision of HPD or HDC, conduct a lottery for all applications received on time. During a lottery, all applications (except those missing required information or disqualified for duplication) are randomly ordered and assigned a log number based on this order. This log provides the basis for the next phase: resident selection.

Resident Selection
Immediately following the lottery, our development partners begin the resident selection process, or the process of verifying eligibility of applicants. To maintain fairness, they work in order of the randomized log. Applicants that meet one or more preferences will be given first consideration.For more on preferences, see the Frequently Asked Questions."

Old 05-11-2016, 07:32 AM

Any updates on this location? Anyone has any good news? Any high log numbers called and what was your preference?

Old 05-12-2016, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 9,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenteternity View Post
Do you get a choice in move-in date? I probably still have a couple weeks before they let me know if I'm approved but I have my lease until October.
They want people to move in ASAP. I'm in the process of trying to break my lease early or find somebody to take over my lease. I asked for 30 days notice so I could work things out with my current landlord, and they were ok with that. Once you are approved, things move quickly and I doubt they'd let the unit sit vacant and without rent payment until October, but you could always ask. Good luck!

Floorplans and photos of the 1 and 2 bedrooms are on streeteasy 7 Dekalb at 70 Fleet St. in Downtown Brooklyn : Sales, Rentals, Floorplans | StreetEasy

Old 05-14-2016, 04:33 AM

8 posts, read 20,219 times
My appeal was accepted! I move in next month. For those of you who sent me good vibes through the interwebs, please accept my heartfelt thanks. The original apartment that I chose has been rented (:/) so I have to choose another one. I hope I can get a terrace again because tha was the icing on the cake . But not picky and very grateful since over 90000 people applied! Once I'm in I'll give another update. It all seems kind of unreal to me right now...its been a bit of a rollercoaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery