Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 11:47 AM

14 posts, read 9,159 times

Advertisements

I feel like I read somewhere on here that if you apply to a lottery in the last few days before it closes, you have a better chance at getting a lower log number. But, maybe that is totally untrue.

I also think I saw someone on here post in multiple lottery threads with low log numbers for each of the lotteries and it got me wondering how that happened to them. But it must have just been all luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:34 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
Log numbers are assigned randomly.

Old Today, 12:57 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,453,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennislvr182 View Post
I feel like I read somewhere on here that if you apply to a lottery in the last few days before it closes, you have a better chance at getting a lower log number. But, maybe that is totally untrue.

I also think I saw someone on here post in multiple lottery threads with low log numbers for each of the lotteries and it got me wondering how that happened to them. But it must have just been all luck?
Totally untrue. In fact, if you search through these forums, you will find people who are sure that they get low logs by always applying right when the application period opens and then other people who also swear up and down that they get low logs by applying at the last minute. Both can't be true!

In reality, when you apply doing the application period makes no difference. The logs are generated randomly AFTER the application period closes and also after paper applications are entered into the system. Then applicants are contacted and processed in log order low to high, taking into account the available unit sizes and AMIs as well as any applicable preference categories.

As for the person claiming to have multiple low logs, could be false (everything on here is self-report), they could be lucky, or they may not always share all the times they get bad numbers. Myself, I have been applying to HC lotteries for about 6 years and over that time I have had many astronomical numbers over 100k, also many quite low (under 300), and many everywhere in between.

Old Today, 01:02 PM

524 posts, read 508,552 times
It's totally random. The only way to increase your "luck" is to make more $$$ because there is less competition and more lotteries in the high AMI. However, this will not change log numbers themselves. It improves your odds, because you have fewer people going after the same apartments and more apartments tend to get allocated to 130 AMI.

Old Today, 03:25 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
You can move to a part of the city that has a high number of lottery buildings so that you get community preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery