Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 PM

68 posts, read 100,069 times

Advertisements

Have any of us heard of any 80/20 move-ins since the new regs went into effect in October?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 06:18 PM

79 posts, read 94,663 times
Thank you all for your replies !! It is so comforting to find this conversation and hear from others who have gone/are going through the process. My file was just sent to HPD about 10 days ago, HPD asked that I resign a couple forms, which I did. But now I can see from your experience that it's a long waiting game from here. I feel hopeful to have made it through the process this far, but still it's torture waiting for a final answer -- hopefully approval. Good luck to all of you.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:02 PM

207 posts, read 356,768 times
Yes hopefully we're getting closer to the finish line !!

Old 07-09-2017, 09:18 PM

46 posts, read 64,212 times
To those of you who have viewed apartments, I'm curious to know which floor they were on and facing which direction? What was your view? Thanks.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:26 PM

68 posts, read 100,069 times
I was told I was on the 20th floor, then that it was changed to 30, then when that one was not ready on viewing day, another on I believe 23. It had a view of uptown and a slice of the East River. Very nice!

Boogsmama have you heard yet if you passed HPD? I sent you a message. Anyone else pass HPD recently? I was told 2 months ago it would be 2 weeks to 2 months and because of thus not knowing where I would be for the summer I was not able to arrange any affordable camp or child care activity for my three year old, plus of course felt I could not leave my current apartment (where I am paying way too much rent). So now I am financially even more stressed than before. Ironic that this was supposed to provide financial relief. And if I have to again take weeks to collect all of the documents that are about to go stale... If/when it happens, I know it will all feel worth it. But, I don't know about the rest of you, right now it's rough (with all joking aside).

Has anyone heard of anyone at all moving into an 80/20 since the new regs passed? Are the lights still popping up on American Copper for new move-ins?

Thanks all. Very helpful to even get tidbits of info and shared experience!

Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 PM

Still radio silence on my end ... I'm really hoping this will be our week !!!!
Ugh it's been almost 2 months since viewing an apartment

Old 07-10-2017, 06:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,853,044 times
I don't understand what is taking so long. It is not supposed to take this long once the file is submitted to HPD. This is irregular. The delay probably isn't on HPD's end.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
I don't understand what is taking so long. It is not supposed to take this long once the file is submitted to HPD. This is irregular. The delay probably isn't on HPD's end.
It's not HPD.. the delay is on the developer's end....
BG probably has loads of approved files just waiting for leases to be signed by now .....

Old 07-10-2017, 01:13 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,853,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygaga1 View Post
It's not HPD.. the delay is on the developer's end....
BG probably has loads of approved files just waiting for leases to be signed by now .....
They'd better be careful because if it the applicant's documents become over 120 days then they have to do it all over again with HPD approval.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:23 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,471,914 times
This is a nightmare. I'm still in this too. All I can tell you from my own experience, is that HPD is completely backed up in appeals and approvals, etc. You have to keep in mind this is a government program. Repeat after me: the government is involved. It can take more than a year from interview to lease signing. I'm not new here. I've been through these rodeos before, and had one near miss, so I've moved on, and if this comes through, fine. If not, that's fine too. I'm making other plans, including fixing up my current apartment in case I'm there till eternity, looking for other towns, even countries, to live in, etc. The lotteries are not the only housing solution. No one should put their lives on hold for these lotteries. Proceed as if it's not going to happen, and if it works out, great. If not, your life will go on. I don't know what else to say, but what's going on here is rather normal, even though it seems totally irrational and weird. If you try to make sense of this, you're going to go nuts, and waste a lot of time. And lose your summer. And yes, it looks as if we're all going to have to resubmit documents. You'll deal with it, or you'll find another housing solution. I think when all is said and done, my income will be too high to continue to qualify, but I'm not going to subvert income or put my life on hold for this, as the long-range consequences of that are much greater than losing a lottery apartment. Please, have some fun, and stop trying to figure this crazy system out. Remember, the government is involved, repeat, the government is involved, and these are extremely complicated real-estate deals. Who knows what's going on with the developer, the marketing agent, the approvals. It will not make sense. Stop trying to figure it out. American Copper is renting in blocks. I'd have to go back and consult notes, but as of the end of April, AC was renting, say, the first 20 or so floors, stop, then the next block, stop. And the second tower has no plans to rent seriously until 2018. This is a long process. I don't mean to sound disrespectful to any of you desperate for an answer, and I've been in personal touch with some of you, but from someone who has been through this, prepare for this to take a lot longer. Actually, this process doesn't even strike me as odd or unreasonably long, given what I've witnessed. I wish you all the best.

Last edited by Moving415; 07-10-2017 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery