Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 PM

274 posts, read 485,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender25 View Post
I applied for both Crossroad and Brook Ave apt. I went to both interviews I was denied for crossroad due to credit history. I don't understand why. My credit score is 618 and I had a debt of 657 which I just finished pay for so I am debt free. I sent an appeal letter. I have not heard from Brook Ave apt yet.
Have you had any issues regarding housing court? Evictions? Any other debt you're unaware of? The ONLY debt you have is for $657? I believe you're on another post regarding this same matter but since you've appealed, sit tight and look out for a decision in the next few weeks. Try to continue to follow up with them regarding your status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
For which building?
I live in the neighborhood not too far from the Brook Avenue location (the one I applied to)

The building itself looks really nice from the outside in. I don't think anyone is moved in yet. The neighborhood could be better, but I'm sure many people will chime in on the negatives here, so I'll focus on the positive.

Prime location if you ask me. We're served by two major train lines (West Side Express 2, and East Side Express 5) You can get into Midtown in less than 30 minutes (20 minutes on a good day), and you also have a connection to pretty much every train line you can think of. The Bx19 provides crosstown service, so if you need to get Uptown, you can take the bus Crosstown and transfer to the A,B,C,D and 1 train in Manhattan.

Ubers are often around $10 or less if you're on 50th looking to come home from a drunken night out. Scored one for $6.00 last week.

Amenities:
I'm listing things within in a 5 minute walk. C-Town, Fine Fare, Chase Bank, McDonald's, VIM, Dr.Jays, GNC, Planet Fitness, Crunch, liquor store, Papa John's, KFC, bodegas, pizza shops, check cashing place, Subway, 2&5 Subway station, Gamestop, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Checkers, Deli, meat market, spanish restaurant, Bank of America, eye glass stores... I think you get the idea. "The Hub" is just minutes away with many options. Think of it as a low budget 42nd Street.

Safety:
It's NYC. Your chance of getting shot is only slightly marginally higher than other neighborhoods. The police patrol the area a lot more often, and are also in the stations a lot in the morning. Looks like the building will have security, not sure if it's 24/7, but there is that.

There's also a nice park nearby if you enjoy some green space. That's all I got. The neighborhood is definitely on the rise!

Some people may tell you to stay away, but ultimately it's your judgement call. Not a bad deal for a spacious $847 apartment in a new building in a growing neighborhood.

If you're over at 500 Union, you're much further away from most amenities I listed, but not THAT much further. You'd definitely want to catch the Bx 19 crosstown.

Great overview. I prefer Crossroads over Brooke Ave apts due to the high amount of drug clinics in Brooke Ave area. Have family that live directly across from Brooke Ave apts as well and not too find of it. But I have small children which played a huge part in choosing Croosroads over Brooke.

Only thing I do not like about Crossroads location is the funeral home directly across the way. Nothing makes you more depressed than seeing people mourning the death of their loved ones.

Otherwise, both locations are fairly similar in regards to amenities/transportation. St. Mary's Park is not too far. Zoned public schools are TRASH so your children better be in a charter/catholic/private school. If you're okay with living in The Bronx, you should be okay with living in either area.

Last edited by larthur706; 03-13-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 12:35 PM

965 posts, read 1,114,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post
Great overview. I prefer Crossroads over Brooke Ave apts due to the high amount of drug clinics in Brooke Ave area. Have family that live directly across from Brooke Ave apts as well and not too find of it. But I have small children which played a huge part in choosing Croosroads over Brooke.

Only thing I do not like about Crossroads location is the funeral home directly across the way. Nothing makes you more depressed than seeing people mourning the death of their loved ones.

Otherwise, both locations are fairly similar in regards to amenities/transportation. St. Mary's Park is not too far. Zoned public schools are TRASH so you're children better be in a charter/catholic/private school. If you're okay with living in The Bronx, you should be okay with living in either area.
Makes perfect sense, since you have kids. I don't, so I can tolerate it at the price they are offering. I'll be doing a one-year lease and see if I can snag another apartment in a future lottery, but for now, I'll take it since I really need and want my own space.

Ultimately, I'd like to get into American Copper, 250 Ashland or the new proposed La Central development. At this rate I could live at Brooke for a year and hope I get a call for something else down the line, if not, I'll just stick it out and hopefully the changes that are coming will have those clinics moved somewhere else.

I dunno.

I'm also bummed the Walgreens closed!

Old 03-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Makes perfect sense, since you have kids. I don't, so I can tolerate it at the price they are offering. I'll be doing a one-year lease and see if I can snag another apartment in a future lottery, but for now, I'll take it since I really need and want my own space.

Ultimately, I'd like to get into American Copper, 250 Ashland or the new proposed La Central development. At this rate I could live at Brooke for a year and hope I get a call for something else down the line, if not, I'll just stick it out and hopefully the changes that are coming will have those clinics moved somewhere else.

I dunno.

I agree 1000%!!!!

And Walgreens closed?!?!?! Wow!!!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:41 PM

351 posts, read 502,726 times
Quote:
For which building?
I live in the neighborhood not too far from the Brook Avenue location (the one I applied to)

The building itself looks really nice from the outside in. I don't think anyone is moved in yet. The neighborhood could be better, but I'm sure many people will chime in on the negatives here, so I'll focus on the positive.

Prime location if you ask me. We're served by two major train lines (West Side Express 2, and East Side Express 5) You can get into Midtown in less than 30 minutes (20 minutes on a good day), and you also have a connection to pretty much every train line you can think of. The Bx19 provides crosstown service, so if you need to get Uptown, you can take the bus Crosstown and transfer to the A,B,C,D and 1 train in Manhattan.

Ubers are often around $10 or less if you're on 50th looking to come home from a drunken night out. Scored one for $6.00 last week.

Amenities:
I'm listing things within in a 5 minute walk. C-Town, Fine Fare, Chase Bank, McDonald's, VIM, Dr.Jays, GNC, Planet Fitness, Crunch, liquor store, Papa John's, KFC, bodegas, pizza shops, check cashing place, Subway, 2&5 Subway station, Gamestop, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Checkers, Deli, meat market, spanish restaurant, Bank of America, eye glass stores... I think you get the idea. "The Hub" is just minutes away with many options. Think of it as a low budget 42nd Street.

Safety:
It's NYC. Your chance of getting shot is only slightly marginally higher than other neighborhoods. The police patrol the area a lot more often, and are also in the stations a lot in the morning. Looks like the building will have security, not sure if it's 24/7, but there is that.

There's also a nice park nearby if you enjoy some green space. That's all I got. The neighborhood is definitely on the rise!

Some people may tell you to stay away, but ultimately it's your judgement call. Not a bad deal for a spacious $847 apartment in a new building in a growing neighborhood.

If you're over at 500 Union, you're much further away from most amenities I listed, but not THAT much further. You'd definitely want to catch the Bx 19 crosstown.

Wow 😮😮😮😮😮😮

I'm actually going for the 500 union I haven't passed by yet to see how it looks like. Let's see how it goes...

Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender25 View Post
I applied for both Crossroad and Brook Ave apt. I went to both interviews I was denied for crossroad due to credit history. I don't understand why. My credit score is 618 and I had a debt of 657 which I just finished pay for so I am debt free. I sent an appeal letter. I have not heard from Brook Ave apt yet.
I thought your credit score should be 580 or higher and it depends on the debt income ratio which I don't think 657 is more then what you make?? Ask for an explanation.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post

Otherwise, both locations are fairly similar in regards to amenities/transportation. St. Mary's Park is not too far. Zoned public schools are TRASH so your children better be in a charter/catholic/private school. If you're okay with living in The Bronx, you should be okay with living in either area.
I have 3 girls who are in charter school and not planning on changing them. Trying to get out of a really bad environment where there is a lot going on.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylouheras2 View Post
I have 3 girls who are in charter school and not planning on changing them. Trying to get out of a really bad environment where there is a lot going on.
Completely understand. My boys are in charter school also and although we're currently in a great living situation, we just need more space. I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully we'll be neighbors!!

Old 03-13-2017, 08:01 PM

Crossroads failed their inspection for the TCO last week. Probably won't be moving for another 2 months or so depending on how long it takes for them to pass everything... Bummer

https://a810-lmpaca.nyc.gov/CitizenA...ov-header.aspx

Old 03-13-2017, 08:45 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:

I dunno.

La Cental probably won't be 100% constructed until 2019, 2020. Imma see how they're playing it with the construction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery